Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MPFL v ACL  (Read 3897 times)

ddavid

MPFL v ACL
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
which is the tougher surgery/recovery all things being equal....................?

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: MPFL v ACL
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »
Unfortunately… the problem lies in the fact all things are not equal. About the only thing equal is that both are ligament reconstructions. They deal with 2 very different parts of the joint, different bio-mechanics, etc. – that said, I think the healing timeline is about the same from what I’ve seen/researched. Healing is taking place up to 1 year in both, and the graft is about 80% healed at 3 months. All the other stuff, possible complications, etc is different due to the fact they are fixing completely different problems.  While I’m currently rehabbing the MPFLr, I’d guess both have their “low-points” and difficulties rehabbing.

Also, keep in mind the ACL is a very standardized procedure/rehab. Where as the MPFL is just coming into its own with some unknowns, and the possible variations in procedure/rehab protocol may determine the amount of difficulty in recovery. This is completely my opinion based on common sense, and not a lot of fact.  ;) 
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: MPFL v ACL
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 06:37:38 PM »
I think it really depends on the approach to rehabilitation.  I've heard horror stories about MPFLr on these boards, but it is in contrast to what I have heard from surgeons who do not brace / immobilize after the surgery.

Below text is from this page - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2160 , regarding MPFL reconstruction

This procedure works extremely well and stabilises the kneecap immediately.  The post-operative rehab is extremely quick. It is a day-case operation - you come in and go home again either the same day or the next day. No knee brace or crutches are needed, although sone patients prefer to use crutches for the first few days. The physiotherapy starts soon and the aim is to regain knee flexion (bendind) as soon as possible. It is just the first 20-30 degrees of flexion that you need for the kneecap to engage in the trochlear groove of the femur – once it is in this groove it stays in the groove.

I think many of the problems happen from immobilizing, or in some cases if the surgeon overtightened the MPFL.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:39:20 PM by yb »

support