Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pretty awesome stuff  (Read 34624 times)

Offline surfbum

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pretty awesome stuff
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2016, 06:33:16 AM »
Hey surfbum,

I was also thinking of getting this Denovo procedure by dr mandelbaum and wanted to know if it was covered by your insurance?

They didn't cover it up front, but they did reimburse about 75% of it on the back end after letters were submitted by the physician. 
30 y/o male

09/2009 - MFC chondroplasty (grade 2-3 tear)
03/2010 - MFC microfracture (OS went in to clean out scar tissue adhesions and I woke up with a MFX)
07/2011 - MFC Denovo NT

Offline surfbum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2016, 06:41:24 AM »
Surf bum ,

How are you doing now?

Still feels the same. So at this point I'm just hoping it's puts off any further surgeries for a long time and I won't need any sort of knee replacement well into the future. For anyone wanting to get this done to get back into running or impact sports, I think you're foolish. This will buy you time, don't fast forward the clock. I stick to super high rep-low weight leg days like I was doing in PT (seriously, girls put more weight on the leg press machine than I do) and I only use the bike... only time I run is going across a street :) 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:43:26 AM by surfbum »
30 y/o male

03/2010 - MFC microfracture (OS went in to clean out scar tissue adhesions and I woke up with a MFX)
07/2011 - MFC Denovo NT

Offline surfbum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2016, 06:59:52 AM »
Hey surf bum-

I'm also an extremely active 30y/o male and I just had MFC denovo nt done 8 weeks ago and am about to be bearing weight on it soon. Did you feel any small sharp pains every so often as you began to work into walking full time again? I wakeboard professionally (or did....) and that's how I did mine

I can't really remember, since it has been 5 years, but I'm sure there were little aches and pains. I just paid very close attention to dull pain, soreness, and especially swelling. My advice is just to relax and take it slow, don't be in a race to get back to a previous level of activity. Ride the bike, don't even think about running. My knee felt better at year 2, and then it felt even better at year 3 and 4. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:02:27 AM by surfbum »
30 y/o male

07/2011 - MFC Denovo NT

Offline beachvb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2016, 06:11:28 PM »
Hey surfbum,

I was also thinking of getting this Denovo procedure by dr mandelbaum and wanted to know if it was covered by your insurance?

They didn't cover it up front, but they did reimburse about 75% of it on the back end after letters were submitted by the physician.

surfbum, do you happen to remember which insurance company you had when you got the surgery done? Last time I looked into this in 2014, my insurance provider at the time (Aetna) said they would not cover any part of the Denovo material. I did not have the surgery then but am now reconsidering it. I would happily switch insurance providers if it improves my likelihood of coverage for this procedure.

Offline icarus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2016, 05:39:54 AM »
Hi surfbum,

I was wondering if you had the same clicking early on in your rehab during the heel slides like you did during your failed micro fracture rehab.

I'm also getting clicking, and it's scaring me because it's really systematic. I'm about 10 weeks post op

Offline stephlouise

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2017, 12:24:38 AM »
Hi surfbum, et al.,

I'm also curious about the clicking/catching and pain post de novo for a Grade 4 patellar defect. I'm a little over a year post-op and just had an arthroscopic chondroplasty / debridement to remove scar tissue and resolve a catching at the end of leg extension. Pre-op, the catch was easy to find because it happened every time I extended my leg. During the surgery, my OS couldn't find it. I'm hoping for good things nonetheless, but am curious whether this is a common issue. The catching was extremely painful - sharp and grating - and prevented me from doing anything except regular walking, and then only short distances.

Thanks!

stephlouise

Offline cameronlyon3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2017, 12:52:51 AM »
Icarus,
I am about 7 weeks post op. I had the denovo procedure done under the patella. I also am having popping/clicking/grinding. How are you doing now?