Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MRI results  (Read 792 times)

Offline salamander

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI results
« on: October 24, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »
Hello,

OK...here they are...the results that its:

Minimally displaced fracture at the periphery of the lateral aspect of the patella with a moderate grade sprain of the lateral patellofemoral retinaculum. 2. Moderate volume knee joint effusion. 3. Mild femorotibial and moderate patellofemoral chondral degenerative change.

MRI 4 weeks post fall while ice skating!!  I guess I still think I'm in my 20's and I'm nearly 50 :-)
RICE'd it for a for about the first week, but then did not treat - pressure on patella from imobilisation v. uncomfortable  I had MRI because I thought it odd that 4 weeks post-trauma that I should still be limping about, be going up and down the stairs slower than molasses one-legged style, and HATE going up and downhill, especially downhill. Yes and I have to lift my leg with my arms too.  OK...it wakes me at night when as well.

From what I've read I think I'll try to continue to rehab slowly.  Am seeing Orthopod in a week's time.

Any comments, hints, suggestions, remarks... non-invasive treatments or therapies to recommend?
thanks v. much,
salamader

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: MRI results
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 08:56:20 PM »
Not unusual to have pain with a minimally displaced fracture in your kneecap! I'd also be seeking some physio input as well as the orthopod. Can you bend? What is your range of motion like? Only a doc can tell you if the fracture needs anything surgical doing to it but 4 weeks out isn't that long; the patella is a PAINFUL little ole thing and takes a while to heal. You just can't ever rest it up fully if you want to get about. Lifting the leg with your arms sounds like you've got a lot of muscle wastage - ditto the physio input to try and get some strength back.

The chondral change could well have been there anyway, unfortunately we always have some changes when we age! (Agh!).

Patience is key unless the doctor says surgery is essential. Knee injuries take an age to heal and you'll feel you're not making progress. he right PT input can help things move faster but anything knee related is still a good test of slow but steady wins the race...

Good luck and keep us posted

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline salamander

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MRI results
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 04:28:18 AM »
Hi Lottie,

Thanks very much for replying to my post.

I have been seeing a physio.  During my first visit he advised RICE plus anti-inflammatories ANd gave me an elasticated tubular support.  I then acquired a more substantial support at the chemists.  I managed a week of naproxyn before it made my tummy unhappy.... I haven't been wearing the support because it put too much pressure on my patella and was causing my quads to stiffen...LOTS.  My next visit to the physio was two weeks later.  The physio became worried because my knee was still swollen and organised an MRI.  I had already organised the appointment with the O/S.  In parallel, I've spoke to the physio at the Clinical Pilates studio I attend and will be going there for any further treatment as the original physio hasn't been entirely helpful except to get the appointment for the MRI quickly. 

I've experienced a bit a relief from an ortho-bionomy session -so hopefully between the pilates, more physio and using my lower musculature properly (from solus down) I can support any structural deficiencies enough to continue to chase after our two rugrats!  Perhaps the continuous motion apparatus I've read about is something that may help as well.

Again, thank you for your reply.  I wrote my post after receiving the MRI results and after digesting their contents...so was a wee bit sad.

salamander