Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: total knee dislocation  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Jond

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
total knee dislocation
« on: October 23, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
9 months ago I had a total knee dislocation ( of femur from tibia) in a motor scooter accident.
Plus total destruction of MCL, PCL, medial capsule, and a Hoffa fracture of femoral condyle. Not good. Had op for fracture and PCL reconstruction plus MCL repai. 2nd arthroscopic op 6 months later for debriding of arthrofibrosis plus MUA. After all this time, ROM is only 5-95, I still can't walk or fully weight bear, and the knee is very painful. Notes from 2nd op say grade2 or 3 arthritis in every compartment already. I'm 49 and based in central London. It seems my only hope is TKR. But surgeons say I'm too young. I wonder also what the implications of my existing arthrofibrosis, ltd ROM, and medial mess (including nerve pain) would be for chances of TKR being successful. I have a young family so need to be mobile sooner rather than later. Thanks for any suggestions or leads.

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: total knee dislocation
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:54:36 PM »
I've heard good things about - http://www.hampshireknee.co.uk/

I hope you don't need a TKR, but I don't understand why surgeons say a person is too young for a procedure if they need it.  Do they expect the patient to live disabled while they are younger, and then when they are close to the graves get the operation??

ese230167

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:34:50 AM »
I've been a patient at the Hampshire Clinic (Hampshire Knee) since April. Ongoing nightmare following traumatic accident but the treatment and support has been brilliant. Definitely give them a call.

Offline Jond

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 12:22:09 AM »
"ongoing nightmare" sounds familiar! What happened to your knee in your accident,
And have they been able to fix it for you ?

ese230167

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »
Hi Jond

I had a skiing accident in April. Ruptured ACL, big tear in lateral meniscus, MCL grade 2 tear. I had an ACL reconstrution in June and the mensicus repaired. Unfortunately I then got cyclops lesion grow on the graft and had to have that removed. Meniscus tear healed really well but ongoing instability from the MCL caused the ACLr to rupture again. Went in for MCL and ACL reconstruction a few weeks ago but the old tunnels used for the ACL were too large and sof to use again. Ended up having a bone graft in tibia and femur and will go back for the reconstruction stage 2 in March (or when the bone has healed). So, ongoing saga but I feel very supported by the medical team.
Hope you get yours sorted.

Offline Jond

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 01:09:58 PM »
Sorry to hear about your injury and complications, but sounds like you're heading in the right direction.

How are you bracing for MCL instability?

ese230167

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 01:15:07 PM »
I've got a BREG LPR. Very lightweight and low profile which is great given I've got to wear it all the time for the next few months! Bit sore at the moment because it clamps tightly onto the inside and outside of the knee, right over the recent op site, but that's getting better.

I was using a Donjoy TROM but that's just not designed to hold the knee tight enough.

What about you? Found a good brace?

Offline Jond

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 01:44:17 PM »
I'm struggling in lightweight ossur braces

My physio says not to get anything more substantial until
I get back some thigh bulk

On other hand I've not been able to walk for 9 months now,
and thigh shows no signs of returning

support