Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: my knee  (Read 3205 times)

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
my knee
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:07:39 AM »
i,m pretty much 5weeks after micro surgery and lateral release!!
is it normal for my knee to still be the size of a football, even though i,m putting ice on it 4times a day for roughly 25mins
it isnt going down at all

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
Re: my knee
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »
Are you taking anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or diclofenac to help?  Are you elevating the knee above the heart?  Have you contacted your surgeon or at least GP - perhaps the knee needs draining of fluid?  I think the LR is notorious for causing swelling though?  Are you doing lots of ankle pumps to help disperse the fluid?

25 minutes of icing sounds like a lot in one go if full on - I assume you are protecting the skin with a cloth?

Are you NWB? or PWB?  Moving around lots will surely help as well
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
ive been taking tablets hasnt help at all
the knee is rock hard so unlikley to be fluid
i am moving my ankle all the time, but cant bend my knee much as it is so painful
i havnt put any weight on my leg since the op 5weeks ago
i was told 7weeks before i can put any weight on the leg
i keep getting cramp
and the muscle have alrdy wasted away around the knee

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 12:56:36 PM »
Hhhmmm if the knee is still like a football then it is heavily inflated with fluid, so it will feel solid, mine did for about the first 3 weeks.

Moving your ankle is good when the knee is elevated becasue it will help your blood cirulation and help to send the fluid up towards you hip.
You coudl alwasy try a differnet anti-inflamtory and ice for less time but more often.

What exercises ar eyoui doing?  Heel slides might help get things moving even if you can only move the knee a tiny bit.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:31:18 PM »
i,m not doing any exercise
i was told by the surgeon after the op to go home do nothing until i see him next
just rest it and ice it that was all the advise i was given

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 01:51:32 PM »
Sounds like you should contact your surgeon or at least the GP...surgeons don't expect complications

What country are you in - if NHS, call the hospital and ask for the secretary and send an email if needed.  What does your physio say?
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 02:06:16 PM »
i,m in middlesex
physio? ive not got one hospital hasnt arranged anything for me :'(

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 04:35:15 PM »
Oh dear - surely they should have done so?  You really need to ask the surgeon's secretary.  Or you could find a private physio.  When is your follow up with the surgeon - is normally at 6 weeks?

As kscope says, the knee shouldn't be rock hard if you are icing, taking anti-inflammatories, exercising

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »
ive rang sec many times never get an answer, my follow up is nov3 which is about 7weeks ish after op

cant afford private physio as not working so dont get paid

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
Soudns like NHS alright, still I went private and didn't even get crutches, which I really needed.

Is it usual to no exercises at all?  Doesn't sound right to me.

You should have been sent for physio at about 2weeks post op.

I wouldn't wait for the follow up.  I'd go to your gp about getting some physio arranged on the NHS or just call a private Physio, unless in the meantime you can get hold of the surgeon's secretary and see if he will refer you for pt.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
he told me he would refer me after he has seen me on the 3rd nov
i am very pissed off and
bored sitting at home 24-7
keep getting cramp all the time in leg and it is really tight feeling rnd the knee

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 05:46:04 PM »
You really need to get the swelling looked at by your GP - make an appointment.  Maybe s/he can get in touch with the surgeon.  Are you doing ankle pumps to keep the circulation moving?  Are you wearing compression stockings - sitting still for long periods of time is potentially not good news.  If you are very worried, go to the A&E department of the hospital where you had the op if it has one and explain your concerns.

Were you given a sheet of exercises to do at least?  After my second scope I didn't need to have physio (private), although I did have one session just to check all was well as was just before Xmas.  I had to pay for my crutches before the first scope.  Didn't need them really second time round.

Good luck :)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 06:08:29 PM »
Is your knee hot? You say it hurts to bend, does it hurt all the time or just when you try and bend it? Have your scope portals (holes) healed up properly or are they red, inflamed, or not healing? Does your knee hurt to touch where it is so swollen?

Good old NHS to send you on your merry way with no exercises and idea of what to expect.

Personally I would be getting down to my GP. A lateral release can cause a lot of swelling, but sometimes there can be bleeding into the joint space and a large clot can form which means the knee is very painful and won't bend and just feels horrible. There are a few instances of people having that on here. Not saying that is what you have but you should get things checked out if you genuinely feel there is NO improvement and you're not able to bend your knee and start exercising it. A lot of fluid in a joint and the tissues around it can also make it feel rock hard. Cramp is probably happening because you're not bending it or using it. It is really hard when you can't bear any weight, but they should have given you ideas of things like heel slides like kscope says, quad sets and so on.

If you are icing always make sure the ice isn't directly on the skin. Wrap anything like an ice pack in a towel to make sure you don't freeze the skin or the nerves in the skin. Are you elevating the leg - and that should be above the heart not just up off the floor....

Good luck and keep us posted

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 06:09:12 PM »
i was given exercise to do but they are conflicking as on the sheet its shows down two legs bends and squads which i,m not able to do as not weight bearing on leg still
i am pretty much sitting down 24-7 as i cant get about on crutches hurts my back and hands too much
i did have an op lateral release and cartilage removed plus micro fracture

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »
Did you make an appointment to see the GP now?  If you can't get there, arrange a home visit :)
Doing nothing but sitting 24/7 really isn't ideal for healing, circulation etc