Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Problems.......to put it mildly !!!  (Read 1115 times)

Offline EarlThePearl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Problems.......to put it mildly !!!
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »
Hi ,
This is the first time I have posted on this site so please be patient if I make a balls of it to begin with !!

I suppose it's best that I start at the beginning . I was playing a rugby match in November 2008 when I got a bad tackle which resulted in the following injuries;
Snapped ACL
Snapped PCL
Snapped Nerve
Snapped Lateral Ligament
Dislocated Knee Cap
Chipped Knee Cap
God only knows what I did to my cartilage etc.

A day after the injury I was operated on to reconstruct my knee repairing my knee cap, nerve and lateral ligament . I was in a cast for almost 3 months and then a year later I had the second part of my operation when they repaired my ACL and PCL(November 2009). Doctors said that it would be highly unlikely that I would get back to playing contact sport again and if I did I could risk further injury again but I could play golf which I do play but just dont get the same buzz out of it as I do with contact sport . When I heard this news I was devastated as my whole life evolved around sport and I was only 23 when this injury happened , depression kicked in however after a couple of months feeling sorry for myself I decided to go talk to another physio and he gave me a slight glimer of hope . He put me on this programme which consisted of Leg extendtions,hamstring curls and leg presses when I went back to him after 3 months of hard work in the gym I did the BioDex test and my main muscles i.e hammers and quads were 33% stronger so I felt I had a smalll bit og hope of getting back, but how accurate are these BioDex tests ????. I'm now on a more advanced programme which consists of the following exercises:
Squats
Romanian Dead Lifts
Split Squat
Bulgarian Dead Lifts
And varuious core work.

However I feel that after two weeks doing this programme that my hamstrings are not getting any stronger, the Romanian Dead Lifts dont seem to hurt or strain my hamstrings that much my back seems to be getting more of a work out than the hamstrings and I'm woried that if I dont have these hamstrings in the best shape they're ever been I will just hurt my knee again when/if I get back playing contact sport. What kind of weights should I be lifting at this stage to get back playing by March 2012 as in how heavy should they be ?? I'm roughly about 6 foot 1inches and 13 stone in weight.

So really what I am asking you guys/girls is if you have any advice for me on how to strenghten my hamstrings and any other tips that might help me with my rehab as I'm finding it un beleiveably boring at the moment and finding it harder and harder to motivate myself to give it 100% in the gym.

Sometimes I think yes I have hope etc. and other times I just feel like packing it in. Any advice/support would be greatly appreciated.

Please see link attached of the sport that I wish to get back playing which will give you an indication of the amount of twisting and turning I will have to be able to do in order to compete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE

Offline HovaK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knee Problems.......to put it mildly !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »
sounds like your not doing your Romainian Deadlifts accurately.
here is a link that describes how it is done.  if you keep searching the site, you can find a video of how to perform this correctly.

Romanian deadlifts should not out any strain, whatsoever, on your lower back when performed properly.  make sure you hold the natural curvature of your back while doing the set.  and dont touch the weights to the ground. 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa63.htm

Cheers.

support