Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How long should I wait to do the MRI?  (Read 672 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jillybean

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Liked: 0
How long should I wait to do the MRI?
« on: October 18, 2011, 05:31:33 AM »
Went to the orthopedist today after having pretty severe lateral knee pain for the last 5 days. He did an xray which of course showed nothing. He stated that the problem may either be a cartilage tear or plica. He then proceeded to give me a cortisone shot and advised that if I don't have any relief after 5 days then that will rule out anything inflammatory.  He then stated that I should make an appointment  to come back in three weeks should that happen.  At that point, they will do an mri. My question is, if the pain isn't alleviated in 5 days, why wait so long to have the mri? I really would like to go ahead and try to resolve this issue asap.  Should I push to have the mri done sooner? I should mention this knee pain started about 12 years ago when I had a sedentary job. It went away when I changed jobs to a physically active job. Still on that job and for some reason the pain is back.   

Offline jenny1000

  • Regular Poster
  • ***
  • Posts: 100
  • Liked: 1
Re: How long should I wait to do the MRI?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 05:32:21 PM »
Where abouts are you?  I'm in the UK, and a wait of 3 weeks would have been amazing.  It took about 6 years of chronic worsening knee pain for them to do an MRI, and even after the referral it took about 2 months to get an appointment.  I don't know much about cortisone, but steroid injections did nothing at all for me.  NSAIDs help a lot though, diclofenac is about as effective as tramadol for me so there must be some sort of inflammatory response going on.  Hope you get it fixed!

Offline brianwith2ndknee

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 35
  • Liked: 0
Re: How long should I wait to do the MRI?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:12:26 PM »
If you have not felt any releif within the first 48 hours I would definatley push for the MRI . I have had multiple cortizone shots in the last 4 years and 2 surgerys . My first surgery proccess showed nothing on the x-ray , two weeks later the MRI showed a possible tear in the rear of the moniscus . After the arthoscopic scope they determined that I had floating cartlidge from a blunt force in my leg which does not show up in either . The 2nd go around the same scenerio . Nothing with the x-ray but the MRI showed a hole blown through my cartlidge . One thing I have recommended to may of people is an all natural product by bio flex called glucosamine chondrotin with lotril . This product  helps with all of your joints and cartlidge in your body . It does take about 2 weeks to notice , but even after 2 surgerys I still take it myself . Good luck
Knee Scope and Microfracture 03-2010
OAT's procedure , Reconstruction , Femoral nerve block 10-2011

Wishing everyone a healthy speedy recovery and good luck to all...
Brian S