Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: procedures and Surgeons in South Wales?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Rupert

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
procedures and Surgeons in South Wales?
« on: October 16, 2011, 02:07:45 PM »
Hi everybody, after  browsing this site for a long time I now need to ask my own question
 I live in South Wales and find myself in a postion where my right knee ( problem with right, medial compartment, narrowing of joint space, quite a lot of mnsicus damaged) need surgical intervention.

I'm 59 and essentially looking for ten years ( or near)  'breathing time before I have to consider a replacement.  Essentially, I have a fairly active lifestyle ( but no impact stuff now, just hill walking, cylcing, siailing) and am still very active career wise) so or me aTKR or even a PKR is something I jsut don't want to consider

I've done a fair bit of research on the various procedures  but now need to put this into practice I know that if I go to the Mid-Wales/ Midlands of England border I can access Oswestry but as a first step, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what procedures ( and good OSs doing them can be found in South Wales, EG, Cardiff, Swansea and  Newport)

I know that a surgeon called Ian Mackie has done a lot of Microfracture combined with tibial osteotomy at a hospital in Abergavenny and from what I can find out the results are good but more evidence really would help  so if anyone has experience of  undergoing MFx there I'd really like to know what your thoughts are

Once it goes past that, it all seems to get  bit vague both in terms of the OSs to go for and what  procedures they carry out. I can find very brief bits of info on someone doing a CMI implant or an osteotomy but not enough to form an opinion

So, all comments gratefully accepted

Again, while MFx is available on the NHS I'm aware that anything other than that will be private ( this isn't necessarily a roblem What Im after here is the best outcome

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 444
  • Neelie knee!
Re: procedures and Surgeons in South Wales?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
There is a list of surgeons here, a few in Cardiff, most will have profiles and websites explaining their expertise

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/396

One thing to bear in mind is that a microfracture and/or osteotomy can have as long a rehab as a replacement surprisingly - if weight bearing area, you'll be looking at 6 weeks on crutches, same with the osteotomy to allow the respective clots / fracture to heal.  I think you are WB immediately after a TKR as tolerated

There is a load of really good info on arthritis and meniscus in the information hub too :)

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Rupert

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 02:48:02 PM »
Thanks,
 Fair point about the rehab. In fact, it's not a problem. profesionally, I can get as much leave as I want, so that's not a factor for me. It's the lifestyle restrictions that  make TKR a non starter.

In fact, I've got an opinion from one of the best Knee orthos in the Uk saying that MFx is suitable for me, especially if combined with an osteotomy. I've also been checking out the 'lifrspan of these and it seems to me I might well get ten years out of the combined procedure(s)

I don't have any contraindications ( eg my BMI is very much in the normal range and can go down more before surgery, plus all the associated stuff such as muscles, ligaments etc have been checked over and are OK

I suppose in some ways, what I'm looking toresolve is the ACI v Microfrature thing ( although I suspect that mensical damage might go against ACI to an extent)

The request for local knowledge is merely becuase I've heard very good things about this guy  mackie and all the evidence I can find is that he is now into the high nienties in terms of the number of them he's carried out, so I wnat tofnd out more.
 Thanks for the Cradiff names, I've checked some of them out but can't find out howmany of each procedure they've carried out- I'll keep looking

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 444
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »
If you are looking for cartilage repair centres and notably (M)ACI, then the Active hospitals are a good place to start - indeed, Oswestry was the lead hospital.  No more in your neck of the woods  http://www.active-trial.org.uk/ACTIVESite/ACTIVEHospitals.htm

The criteria were very specific (but NICE may have relaxed them)  http://www.active-trial.org.uk/ACTIVESite/PatientParticipation.htm (click on Schema)

If you are prepared to travel and want a surgeon with lots of osteotomy experience, Adrian Wilson is probably the top dog in the UK (wrote the osteotomy course on this site)

http://www.hampshireknee.co.uk/meet-the-team/principle-surgeon

If Mr Mackie seems good, probably best to make a private appointment to see and quiz him, especially on how many microfractures he has done on older patients - from what I can gather most are done on patients under 45 or even younger as the chance of success is higher

There is the odd Welsh member on here, cannot recall any names right now however, sorry
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »
I've read and heard good things about the doctors at Llandough Hospital just outside of Cardiff. My mother-in-law was treated there and had fantastic care.

I've read on here that Mr Robertson is highly regarded but I cannot remember his speciality.
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

support