Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MPFL Surgery??  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Dewy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL Surgery??
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:02:03 PM »
Hi have not used this board for a while and would really like some advice please.† I am due to have Medial Patellofemoral Ligament surgery on my right knee soon.† Have already had a LR on this knee about 17yrs ago and have since had two arthroscopic operations on this knee too. I don't really know what is in involved in this surgery, eg recovery time, have read about people having knee braces I have not been told about this.† Would really like some advice if there is anyone who has had this procedure done.† Many Thanks. KT

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: MPFL Surgery??
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »
Hey KT, I just had an MPFL w/ Lateral Lengthening done 3 weeks ago.

1. Iíd advise you do a little research on the indications for an MPFLr, and understand why your OS is recommending, and make sure it is the right surgery for you. If you read over on the patella femoral section, youíll see there are a lot of surgeries that can be done and for different reasons.

2. Every OS has their own protocol, thatís who youíre going to get the best info from in terms of bracing, recovery, etc.

3. My Experience: Iím 3 weeks post op, Iím still in a brace. It is locked (immobilized), but have started to unlock it in safe places. Crutches are still needed, especially with the brace unlocked. Iíve been PWB since day 1, and really only in need of one crutch indoors. Iíll probably be in the brace for a few more weeks until I have adequate strength. Started PT 1 week post op. Itís a slow recovery that needs patience Iím finding Ė but you do see improvement every day. My OS thinks Iíll be good to go at about 12 weeks. Pain levels havenít been bad for my account, but I know others have experienced quite a bit.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Dewy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:01:25 PM »
Hi there, thanks so much for the info! Will take your advice and read up more about it, just to make sure! Regarding your surgery if you don't mind me asking did you come out of surgery with the brace on or was it something they put on after you were out of recovery? How is the Physio going I have heard that it is really painfull when they adjust the angle of you knee, obviously there is going to be pain but the process does sound like a slow recovery. Hope you are doing OK with it all, if I think of anything is it ok to contat you again?

Kt, Good luck to!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »
When I woke up, the brace, dressings, and even an ice pack were already on my leg. For me at least, PT has been going well Ė Iíve been ahead of protocol since my first appointment. Try to do a lot of quad strengthening before your surgery; I think this helped me a lot. When they stretch you out and bend the knee, itís definitely not comfortable. Necessary though, as motion is the hardest thing to come by after an MPFLr. I have a very high pain tolerance, so I donít necessarily think itís painful Ė but have also heard others struggle with the pain during this process. For me, itís just a feeling of extreme tightness and as if something is ready to snap in my knee. 

Definitely let me know if you have any other questions about the early recovery. Long term is still a mystery to me! 
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 03:36:57 AM »
Hey Kt,

I had an MPFL recon done on April 14th so I'm just about six months post-op.

Like Allyd said, make sure you check with your OS and his/her protocol and make sure you know why you need the surgery and all that stuff. Every OS is different with his/her protocol but I was WBAT and in an ROM brace. I was on crutches for five weeks and in the brace for three months. I was in physical therapy for five months.

I have a post-op diary over in the post-op 100-300 section, if you want to check it out.

Good luck!!
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

support