Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Rare Patellar Tendon Rupture HELP  (Read 666 times)

Offline ImJenD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rare Patellar Tendon Rupture HELP
« on: October 12, 2011, 07:08:37 AM »
First off, thank you for this site. It's been inspirational.

Before reading my questions here's my background. I'm a very busy Mother of 2 (my youngest is in the terrible 2's right now). I have a demanding job working with Soldiers and families and I'm the main bread winner for our family. It's vital to my family and career that I get up and moving again soon. Honestly I didn't even realize all that I took on until I couldn't do anything and everyone had to pitch in to do my jobs. It's been taxing on my family to say the least.

I injured myself on Sept 13th by skipping the last step on a flight of stairs and taking a jarring step onto the landing. When I took this step I heard a loud snap and went down hard. My kneecap was in my thigh and I new something was terribly wrong.

I had surgery 5 days later Sept 18th. My OS stated that it looked like a bomb had exploded in my knee. I had ruptured my patellar tendon in the middle of the tendon (both ends of the tendon remained in tact to the bone). I also ruptured my MCL and LCL. MY OS suitured all of the ligaments back together, did not use a wire, and I am now in a straight brace going into my 3rd week. In typical patellar tendon ruptures the tendon tears from the kneecap; mine did not. I have not found any posts on this site that deal directly with this type of injury and I have a few specific questions:

Due to the nature of where my PT ruptured, will it be harder or easier to heal?

I'm terrified of physical therapy b/c I'm worried about breaking through scar tissue. My OS stated that he used MILES of suitures to reconstruct the tendon and ligaments but that scar tissue would be an issue. Is this because of my specific type of injury or is scar tissue an issue with all PT ruptures?

My OS has told me to start knee bends to 45 degrees.. I can get to about 40 degrees after my second day.   It is very sore HOURS after I work it out and I treat this with ice and ibuprophen. When it comes to physical therapy, can I take ibuprohen or a pain killer prior to harder sessions to help ease the pain?

Thank you for reading my story. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Rare Patellar Tendon Rupture HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:29:48 AM »
There is an amazing group of people who have suffered a similar injury on the ruptured Patella Tendon Thread as well as the Ruptured Quad tenon thread.

In fact they are so supportive of each other they have their own Board on this forum!

Here are the links:
Board: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=56.0
RPT thread: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.3855
RQT thread: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33177.630

If I have understood correctly what I have read, then it is basically the same injury. A ruptured Patella tendon is anywhere BELOW the centre line of the knee cap and a ruptured Quadriceps tendon is anywhere ABOVe the centre line of the knee cap.

Anyway they are fantastic at helping each other and you really should go and introduce yourself there and ask your questions, because they are the best people to answer any of your current worries.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline ImJenD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Rare Patellar Tendon Rupture HELP
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:49:14 PM »
Many Thanks Sue for your keen insight and input. I'll check out the thread immediately.

support