Banner - Hide this banner

Poll

Does the weather affect you knee pain levels?

yes
6 (54.5%)
no
0 (0%)
sometimes
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Knees and weather!  (Read 1826 times)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Knees and weather!
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »
Just wondering if others can tell when the weather is about to turn colder / wetter at the end of summer ( using the term very loosely for uk residents!)

For me my knees seem to be pretty good when the weather is reasonably warm but already with the temps dropping to 16 deg C I am already in bad pain.

I heard on a radio programme that as consultants had as many patients with this knee pain in warm dry countries it was not believed to be damper conditions that aggravated the knees - so what is it? air pressure?

hope I have done this Poll app correctly as never done one before :)
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
Re: Knees and weather!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:50:11 AM »
All I know is that the colder it is the stiffer my knee is and the more pain I have.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
Humidity seems to bother me generally - my knees don't really like it, my thumbs feel stiff (weird!) and my fused foot is really stiff (not the fusion bit, that is always stiff!) and seems to swell more, get hot, etc.

On cold crisp days I find things are OK, but damp miserable days don't help. Great in the UK as that is our weather! The big cold snap last winter was OK, although falling on my butt in the snow didn't help my elbow as I protected my knees. Certainly things feel less fluid when the weather changes, and I find that I need to make sure I warm up at the gym etc to keep things moving.

I'd like an all round weather of about 20-22 degrees, blue skies, rain at night to keep things fresh, light breeze for washing drying and not too hot you can't sleep.

Dreaming?!! Me??!

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »
A good poll and not taken part in one for a while and not sure if it is the running on hard surface or the cooler weather as both my knees are starting to hurt more then usual the last week or two.

It could be a combination of both running and the cooler weather and I am not too concerned about it as the pain level is not too bad at the moment. The PT's I have seen in the passed all say that I may have problems with my left knee if I run regular due to maltraking problems!

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »
I for 1 can feel the weather changes.  We have been having nice sunny weather in the high 70's and woke up this morning to a gray drippy day my knees are killing me along with other injuries I have delt with for years.

Have a good day,
Laurie :)
9/2010 fell broke nose and injured L knee
10/2010 MRI  negetive
1/21/2011 diagnostic arhtroscopy woke up with MFX
8/11/2011 new MRI showed failed MFX
9/1/2011 Biopsy for carticel
11/1/2011 ACI
5/31/12 scope and microfracture again 1/2 ACI failed
9/2/12 Scheduled OATS,Osteotomy

Laurie

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »
just like to add my  bit, yep me too, everything hurts joint wise when the weather changes especially the damp, my joints are better when its hot! ;D
06/10  L knee trauma(horseriding accident) MCL
10/10 MRI ACL/MCL/G4CM/PF
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 12:12:22 AM »
What I find is damp weather makes me ache terribly.  I also find that it is more related to barrometric pressure than damp.  Damp makes it worse, but a sunny day with high pressure can make me miserable too.  I do know when high pressure fronts move through.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:05:45 AM »
Damp weather bothers me also.  I ache just as bad in the PFJR knee as the soon to be replaced knee.  Last winter when it was bitter cold the knees kind of liked the weather.  They don't mind the hot weather either...though I am not a fan!
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »
Thanks everyone, sort of glad it's not just me !  Definitely think the barometric pressure has something to do with it!

Lottie - totally agree with you - 22 deg c would do me fine!  Funny thing is I never have trouble with my knees when we go to hot countries - time to emigrate !

Nick - don't push those knees too much during the winter months - you need to baby them so you are fit forr next spring !

My knees ache like mad today :(
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)