Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help & advice please?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline thorpey0

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help & advice please?
« on: October 10, 2011, 06:10:16 AM »
Hi.  I am only 36 years old but have already had 6 surgeries including an ACL and revision of that ACL. 

4 weeks ago I had an arthroscopy during which my consultant removed Osteophytes and performed Chondroplasty and a partial meniscectomy.  After surgery I was told that I had stage 4 Osteoarthritis to the outer part of my knee and would need a half knee replacement within ten years.  Post surgery my recovery was excellent and after 2 weeks I felt as good after surgery as I ever have.  My range of movement was excellent and above 90 degrees, I could climb and decend stairs and walk normally.

18 days after surgery and my knee became massivly swollen and very painful indeed, I made an appointment to see my consultant as I was worried about the knee and the pain was keeping me awake most of the night.  On seeing my consultant he told me that I had a 'holiday period' during the first two weeks and the knee was always going to react to what he did at some point.

(Worse he told me that after looking at my case again, I would need a FULL knee replacement and within 5 years at best!!  Totally gutted to be told that as a fit and healthy (bar the knee) 36 year old)

Since then the pain has been horrific, I rarely take pain meds but I had to go to the doctors on Friday to get stronger pain killers.  The knee is a bit less swollen but I can only bend it very slightly and I am unable to walk up or down stairsand I even struggle to get my sock on my foot.  I am getting about 3 hours sleep a night due to the pain which is mainly behind my knee.

I suppose I just want to see if anyone else has had similar problems or can offer any thoughts as to what might be wrong.  I have gone from being able to walk, climb and decend stairs properly and have hardly any pain 2 weeks after surgery and now I can hardly even walk!

Sorry its such a long winded post, just feeling massively down and I don't know what to do. :-\ Thanks

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Help & advice please?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »
Sorry you're in so much pain....when you went to get the painkillers did the doctor check you for any infection or similar issue? Clearly you did have some work done, and the knee will react but this must be frustrating. Sometimes just doing quite a lot in those first couple of weeks because all feels OK can start the cycle of inflammation and swelling off and the pain increases.

I guess if they've ruled out infection or anything else like a ruptured bakers cyst then you need to keep up with the elevation, icing, and staying off it for a while if you can to let the swelling go down. Are you having any physio? They might be able to help get the swelling down and help with restoring the movement back for you.

I hope things start to improve soon for you...

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline pattifaler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Help & advice please?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 07:06:51 AM »
hello Thorpey,

I can not belive this.. I am having the same issue!!! i had surgery 2 weeks ago. i have terrible osteoarthritis in my right knee... he cleaned it out and scrapped the bone spurs (sorry don't know the medical terms) My knee very very swollen and ssssooo painful!!! And STIFF!!!!  I can not bend my knee with pressure, or I will hit the celling!!!! The prosedure he did seems to have made it worse!! Like as if the
arthritis exploded in my knee.  I have to wait another week and 1/2 to talk to my doctor and see the pic's he took.  I also was told a knee replacement, but with in a year. I wish I had some advice to give. I was told to keep doing my therapy at home (the exercising that I can do with out a lot of pain.) I am also still on pain meds and ibuprofen for the inflamation.  It seems to me as if I do too much walking or a little bending (of the knee) My pain is really bad at night!!  I keep my leg elavated with ice for atleast a half hour.
I hope I helped a little. At least we are not alone with this.. I am soo happy that I had found this web site.. Feel better soon...If I recieve any info on this, I will post on here for you.. Chin up...

support