Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Suspected Chondromalacia. Need advice!  (Read 775 times)

Offline Samblack2525

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Suspected Chondromalacia. Need advice!
« on: October 10, 2011, 02:56:04 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm new, but my knee pain isn't. I'm 20, and have had recurring knee problems for two years now, starting after an injury I sustained while doing exercise (jumping lunges holding weights. I was fine that night afterwards, but couldn't walk the next day- my knees were in agony, especially going up stairs). I rested a while, then like an idiot went back to doing exercise.

My knee remained painful, and started clicking/grinding/popping. I have been to a physio who said it was my knee maltracking, which is probable, and that I needed to strengthen the inside. The condition continued though, so I went for an MRI, which came up with nothing out of the ordinary, so I went home and began doing 'some' exercise again.

I'm currently in Australia on a year abroad at a university over here which is great. However, the knee problems are getting worse- they're clicking and cracking and popping all the time now- even when I'm lying down- and I can't walk around for a lot of time without it becoming painful which is a problem when I'm working.

I guess I just want someone to give me some advice on it. I'm going to see someone this week, and I'm currently doing no exercise except walking to university and back and a few rehab exercises for my legs. But it would be great if someone with experience could tell me what they think. My biggest fear is that it's arthritic and degenerative, and that my life as an active person has come to an end at 20. I don't want to have this problem forever.

Thanks guys!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Suspected Chondromalacia. Need advice!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »
Can you get to see a PT to show you some strengthening stuff?  It may be that strengthening the quads in the right way may go a long way in helping you.  You must be consistant with them though.  It may be that the maltracking has another cause.  Seeing an ortho would probably be best if you can arrange it.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »
I agree with twobadknees see an ortho if possible.  My MRI was clean but my knee was not.  It required surgery.  I have trouble with stairs as well and mine pops and grinds still.  I am having my third procedure this year in a couple weeks.

Good Luck
Laurie :)

9/2010 fell broke nose and injured L knee
10/2010 MRI  negetive
1/21/2011 diagnostic arhtroscopy woke up with MFX
8/11/2011 new MRI showed failed MFX
9/1/2011 Biopsy for carticel
11/1/2011 ACI
5/31/12 scope and microfracture again 1/2 ACI failed
9/2/12 Scheduled OATS,Osteotomy

Laurie

Offline brianwith2ndknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »
I have always found that taking Glucosamine Chondrotin with Lotril will help . Im a general contractor for a living with my second surgery as of 1 1/2 weeks ago . I have reffered this product to some of my employees and all have said in about 3 weeks they noticed a difference . It might not help with all the pain but it is a product that all of your cartlidge and joints will benifit from .
Knee Scope and Microfracture 03-2010
OAT's procedure , Reconstruction , Femoral nerve block 10-2011

Wishing everyone a healthy speedy recovery and good luck to all...
Brian S