Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Advise on next steps and best treatments for Osteoarthritis of the knee  (Read 872 times)

Offline gunnag

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
IM a 50 years old man and have Osteoarthritis of the left knee. My problems began when I was 18 and twisted my left knee after a motorcycle accident. The knee settled down and over the following years I became very active undertaking many strenious activities including running the london marathon, treking in the himalayas & climbing kilimanjaro.

Last year, I noticed the knee was swelling after activity as well as being painful. My GP sent me to a local surgeon who advised I had OA and performed an arthoscopy with debridement & trimming torn cartilege. After the op, the surgeon said I had patches of arthiritis which were nearly grade 4 on the medial femoral condyle. He advised me to avoid all impact sports and twisting, although he said cycling would be OK.

IM now finding even fairly light activity causes swelling and pain and IM taking 400mg ibuprofen almost daily as well as glucosamine, fish oil etc.

So IM now wondering what the next steps for my knee wil be. If I go to my GP he will probably refer me back to the surgeon for another arthoscopy and IM wondering what my options would be.

I have heard about varyious technicques to regrow carteledge and re implant this back into the knee, so wondered if this would be a viable option for me? I would prefer not to have any artificial joint implanted, for now at least.

Any advise on the best course of action would be appreciated.

Offline ashok_guru

• Regular Poster
Re: Advise on next steps and best treatments for Osteoarthritis of the knee
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »
Check out this, it could give some ideas

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=53.0
2009 - Partial Meniscetomy
2010 - Cartilage Debridement
2010 - 2011 - Prolotherapy, PRP, Bone Marrow Prolotherapy, Prolozone
2011 - Regenexx-PL, Regenexx SD and Regenexx-SCP
2012 - HGH Injections
2013 - Regenexx-PL, Regenexx SD, Regenexx-AD and Regenexx-SCP

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
HI and welcome

There are cartilage transplant techniques and they are improving all the time, but generally they work best on focal, isolated areas of cartilage damage in the knee rather than diffuse or patchy wear that you get in OA. My doc likened it to trying to darn a sock full of holes versus darning one hole; if you don't have decent scaffolding around the holes then there isn't anything for the new bits to attach to. I think things are improving, certainly there is research into growing a whole new articular surface for one aspect of the knee rather than rely on a metal replacement part but that is some way off.

In the mean time you might want to try things like visco injections. I have had brilliant results from Euflexxa (google it or look on here) but the injections don't work for everyone and I am not sure they are provided through the NHS if you're in the UK although they may well be at the discretion of your docs.

Unfortunately it is often a case of managing things and getting to a level where you can do more of what you want, balanced with limited flare ups. Certainly have a look at the cartilage repair techniques - there is a trial in the UK where some people with OA are being accepted onto a program where they enter into the scheme which shows they are looking to widen the applications of it. Perhaps have a chat to your GP - google ACTIVE trial. I am making an assumption you're UK based - sorry if you're not!

Good luck,

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline gunnag

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »
Thanks everyone, some good advise given, I am based in the UK so may well find out about the active trial. I think I will also pay my GP a visit this week and see what he says about the visco injections.