Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Microfracture - 6 years later  (Read 853 times)

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Microfracture - 6 years later
« on: October 08, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
I was just recomending this site to a guy who just tore his ACL and realized how long it's been since I've been on here so I thought I'd give you all an update.  I had my microfracture surgery six years ago and it's still holding strong and I'm still pleased with it.  I've had to accept that I can't hike, jump or run any more but I'm having a great time riding my bike, swimming and tending my garden.  Being that before my surgery I couldn't walk across the room with out my knee buckling and ending up on the floor I consider just being able to walk a great success.  I don't think about what I can't do anymore, I focus on what I can do.

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Microfracture - 6 years later
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 02:19:00 AM »
That's good to know for others who may be considering the same surgery. :)
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline snett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:33:50 PM »
I'm about to have this procedure done and was curious what your down time and time on crutches was when u had it done.  Im being told 2 months or so on crutches for mine. and this seems very long to me.
Thanks

Shane

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 12:32:14 AM »
I was 6 weeks non weight bearing (NWB) and another two weeks partial weight bearing before I could walk with out crutches.  Even then it was difficult because it felt like my balance was off.  Walking accross uneven surfaces like a lawn or a field were a problem, I would weeble and woble.  But now I walk just fine.  It's very difficult being NWB and there are things I had wished I had done ahead of time to prepare.

*Figure out how you are going to get in and out of the shower when you can only stand on one leg.  My husband made me a seat out of wood that hooks over the sides of the tub.

*Eating is a huge problem.  You can't carry a plate of food or a cup of coffee when you are hopping on crutches.  Buy a lot of ready to eat foods.

*Doing laundry is impossible.  I had a neighbor who did mine for me.

*Have a chair with wheels on it, like a desk chair or something. 

*I used a canvas tote bag to carry my food and stuff.  You'll need plastic containers with lids and a thermos for coffee and stuff. 

*Clear all tripping hazzards

*Take your clothes out of the closset and put them where they will be easy to get to.  I found it impossible to get anything out of my closset.

*It's really hard to deal with pants with snaps and zippers.  You're ballancing on one leg while trying to pull them up and fasten them.  Get pants with elastic waste band....easy on, easy off.

*Get your hair done just before your surgery.  Getting it done when you're NWB is really hard....going any where when you are NWB is really really hard.

*Make sure you have stuff to do...I thought I would loose my mind from the boredom.

support