Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Microfracture Surgery - What to expect.  (Read 4080 times)

romayrag

Microfracture Surgery - What to expect.
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:16:01 PM »
Im due to have cartlidge repair and microfracture key hole surgery soon and just wondered if anyone on here has had this doen and what I should expect.

Also, the consultant said I may have a small acl tear as well but made no reference in the letter I was sent after to it actually being repaired, is this something that would require repairing or does it fix itself?

Cheers

G

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Microfracture Surgery - What to expect.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:25:24 PM »
With microfracture, the levels of pain, post op protocol and success rates depend on the location of the cartilage defect - do you know where in the knee the mfx is due to be done - patella (kneecap), trochlea (groove the kneecap sits in), thigh bone (femoral condyle), shin bone (tibia)?  

Microfracture is to repair cartliage - you mention cartilage repair as well, what specifically else is being done?

The protocol can also vary from country to country - where in the world are you?

Have a read through this section and information

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=31.0
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/759

But most importantly, ask your surgeon and make sure you are very clear on his/her insructions, especially around physio, crutch use, return to work etc

ACL tears don't usually fix themselves, but depending on how bad they are and how much they affect your knee, they may or may not be repaired (this is normally a much bigger open op, so won't be done with the keyhole)

Here's some stuff about ACL (lots to read)

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2256

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

romayrag

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
Wow,

Thanks for the reply.

Just to answer one or two of the questions.

Its femoral medial condyl for the microfracture.

I have a torn miniscus that is to be repair too.

Im in the UK, diabetic and currently what i like to call a shrinking fatty (18 1/2 stone from 21 1/2).

One thing i have noticed is that I am getting more and more 'grinding' and 'crunching' in the knee joint as time goes on.

Also I ruptured my PCL in my left knee 10 years ago and have never had any work done on it, should I get myaself back to the quack to get a nother look at it as I am now experiencing alot more pain since the problems with my right knee started.

Chers

G

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »
Hi again
If it is on a weightbearing surface of the condyle and also the meniscus is able to be repaired, I think it is highly likely you'll be on crutches for 6-8 weeks to allow the mfx clot to form and the meniscus repair to take/heal - all about protecting the work done.  If the meniscus cannot be repaired and is instead trimmed, a menisectomy (depends on your age, state of the tissue, size and location of the tear) and the cartilage damage isn't on the weightbearing bit of the bone, you may be able to bear weight sooner - your surgeon will advise (as well as any specifics due to your being diabetic, not sure this makes much difference, maybe to healing?)

The grinding and crunching could be from the bone damage or it could be the meniscus getting caught in the joint - I had this with my meniscus tear which was excised - very grindy as well as locked and swollen

Definitely worth asking the surgeon about the PCL - are you being 'done' on the NHS or privately?

Great job on the weight loss, will help your knees for sure  :)  Try to get the muscles in the legs as strong as you can before the op, will help with the rehab...also some upper body strengthening to help with the crutches!

When is the op?  All the best :)
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 08:15:31 PM »
ive just had mine done two weeks ago

Offline rikster79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 08:35:08 AM »
hi

i have just come home after having micro surgery to repair a microfracture to my right knee aswell as having my acl tear repaired by using my hamstring . i was due to have a re alignment but it was not needed as surgeon said he was happy with that .
i went in monday for the op and spent all tuesaday with a big arsed bandage on unable to move .
wednesday i went to have my cast fitted . it is a full length split cast with hinges on to try to get some movement in time . set for 30degrees .
i am NWB for the 6-8 weeks i am in plaster an i have to admit that it is agony at the moment . I am hoping that it will get easier soon .
i know it doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs but as long as the problems are sorted in the end i don't care .
sorry to scare you , but wanted to let you know what I am going through as it sounds similar to what i had . maybe not as severe .

hope it helps

Jellylegs79

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »
Expect to be non weight bearing (NWB) for about 6 weeks and then partial weigh bearing for about another 6 weeks.  Here is a list of things I wish I had known enough to do ahead of time.

1.)  Clear all tripping hazzards around the house.
2.)  Make sure you have clothes out for every weather condition you may encounter within the next 8 weeks.  For instance, when I had my surgery it was the biggining of May and still quite cool here.  4 weeks later it was June and HOT but all I had out were long sleved shirts.  I had to scootch up the stairs on my butt and scootch to my dresser and pull on my short sleved shirts, throw them down the stairs and then scootch back down the stairs....it was not fun.
3.)  Have some one lined up to help you with your laundry, cooking and house work.
4.)  Stock up on ready to eat, ready to drink food.  My biggest problem was eating.  You can't carry a plate of food when you have two crutches to hold on to.  You have to figure out how you're going to eat.
5.)  Have a chair with wheels on it, either a real wheel chair or at least a desk chair with wheels on it.
6.)  Figure out how you're going to take a shower.  If you have a walk in shower then you'll be fine, if not, then you have a huge problem.  How are you going to get into the tub when you can't put weight on one leg?  My husband made me a seat ot of wood that fits over the sides of the tub and sticks out over the side of the tub so I could sit down and then swing my legs over the side  of the tub.
7.)  Stock up on shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, hair dye, toilet paper and anything you're going to be needing in the next 6 weeks.  Shopping on crutches SUCKS!!!!
8.)  Buy youself stuff to do to keep you occupied, crafts and games, DVDs and stuff.  Boredom was one of my biggest complaints.

Hope this helps

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 02:19:13 PM »
I had the femeral mfx done In January.  I didn't know that is what they were going to do until I woke up. My Mri was clear. I couldn't have survived that without my family.  I was stuck upstairs and had the same issues with eating and crutches.  I am in the states and it seems things are done a little differntly here.  My OS ordered a CPM which I had to use 8 hours a day for 6 weeks to help my ROM.  I was partial weight bearing  30% after my first follow up visit a week after surgery. The recovery was long but not terrible with the help of pain meds. Just keep ypur spirits up and follow the doctors instuctions closely.
I hope all goes well for you
Laurie :)
9/2010 fell broke nose and injured L knee
10/2010 MRI  negetive
1/21/2011 diagnostic arhtroscopy woke up with MFX
8/11/2011 new MRI showed failed MFX
9/1/2011 Biopsy for carticel
11/1/2011 ACI
5/31/12 scope and microfracture again 1/2 ACI failed
9/2/12 Scheduled OATS,Osteotomy

Laurie

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »
I say prepare to be NWB for 6 weeks because I think people should prepare for the worst but hope for the best.  Better to be prepared and not need it then to be unprepaired and unable to do anything about it.

romayrag

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, Ive got my Mrs to look after me so I wont go hungry or need to go shopping.

Books and PS3 for entertainment so again should be fine so far as boredom goes, so my only worry will be pain i think. Ive dropped the hints that I know Tramadol to be a good pain killer that works for me so I hope if the Microfracture goes ahead the hospital will gve me some.

I go in on Friday and am getting a little nervious now. Had my Pre Op assessment on Monday, which was a little more thorough than I had expected, and even after speaking to my surgeon I still have no idea if they will deffinately do the Microfracture or not.

Ill keep you all posted on how it goes, well assuming you want to know, and keep my fingers crossed they do it all and do it properly..

Cheers Guys

G

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »
As far as pain meds go I know it differs here in the states but I was given hydromorphone and oxycodone.  Tramadol dosen't seem to be used much in my experience.  For me the pain wasn't terrible but everyone is different.

Good Luck
Laurie :)
9/2010 fell broke nose and injured L knee
10/2010 MRI  negetive
1/21/2011 diagnostic arhtroscopy woke up with MFX
8/11/2011 new MRI showed failed MFX
9/1/2011 Biopsy for carticel
11/1/2011 ACI
5/31/12 scope and microfracture again 1/2 ACI failed
9/2/12 Scheduled OATS,Osteotomy

Laurie

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 01:53:32 PM »
I think the OP is in the UK where to my knowledge, oxycodone and hydrocodone aren't available.

Depending on which is better tolerated, tramadol and co-codamol tend to be the mainstay prescription drugs being cheap and generic (after OTC ibuprofen and paracetamol [acetaminophen] ) for knee acute  and chronic pain due to knee/joint complaints.  After both my scopes, I was discharged with codeine / paracetamol (co-codamol) and diclofenac for inflammation.  I don't tolerate codeine very well, so I have been prescribed tramadol since as well

Good luck :)