Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Femoral Anteversion  (Read 877 times)

Offline KinnaMarie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Femoral Anteversion
« on: October 05, 2011, 02:10:34 AM »
After 3 knee surgeries this year, things still are not right.  I had my 6th MRI and through this MRI my OS clearly saw that my femur is rotated, which he has said since the beginning, but now is pursuing this as one of the main problems with everything going on.  He also says he believes that I may have CRPS/RSD which is also part of my issue with swelling and bruising.  So my first question would be is another surgery truly advisable with CRPS? 

But my main question is about the derotational femoral osteotomy.  How much recovery is involved with this surgery?  I have been dealing with this for 15 months now, and my OS made a comment that this surgery would be another 15 month recovery.  I really just want this all over with, and even though since the beginning I said I would never let them cut into my thigh, but after today I just want all this over with.  But I am student teaching starting the end of January and was wondering if it is feasible to think about having the surgery, and also be ready to student teach.  The first couple of weeks for student teaching are basically observation, so I would essentially need to be moving more around mid february.  How long are you on crutches? How much hardware is used?  I just don't know what to think anymore...       

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Femoral Anteversion
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »
Hi KinnaMarie

As someone with CRPS in their foot I was told that surgery on that limb is to be avoided unless the CRPS is being well controlled and you can control it again after the surgery. Obviously sometimes you simply cannot avoid more surgery on an effected limb. I think you've already had two surgeries on the knee yes? You need to get a proper treatment regime in place for the CRPS first and then evaluate whether your problems remain and whether you need another surgery. With CRPS pain and symptoms clouding the issue you can't really tell what is needed. I know you are worried about meds making you sleepy - I am on Pregabelin which is a nerve medication and it doesn't make me sleepy. Some of the "older" meds have wider side effects but Pregabelin (Lyrica) is generally better tolerated. You have to try it and see what it does for your symptoms and what side effects you get. In addition you need proper PT to help with CRPS or else the muscles waste away more. CRPS is the only condition where a degree of pain is essential and unavoidable to make that gain. Its a fine line between pain = gain and too much work making the CRPS flare up. I am now pretty controlled after 6 months and I think my flare ups are reducing in length and frequency. Its been hard work though and as I get more recovery from the actual surgery I can see what is still left as a result of the CRPS.

The second thing is that I didn't think MRIs could show rotational issues.....but I may be wrong. I need some help here from crankerchick, or wenikio or drmark......Have you had a full set of X-rays as well or is your doc just going on the MRI results?

Good luck. I know you must be well fed up with this now.

Lottie xx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 02:28:51 AM »
Dr Mark posted recently that MRIs can be used to detect rotational issues..
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline KinnaMarie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 02:46:05 AM »
Hey Lottie~

Like what you said, my OS said it is not the best idea to fix surgery with more surgery.  But my thing is if the bone isn't right, and as my PT says, this will not just fix itself...like I want it too.  ugh.  Plus my OS doesn't do this surgery...said he could practice on me... So at the moment I don't really trust anyone other than him.  But he wants me to go back to the head of the med. school and just hear what he has to say.  He also wants me to go back to the other dr. who gave me the shots to talk about if there is another type of medicine to take other than the one he suggested... 

Luckily last week my OS said to go back to PT.  I told her to just bend it no matter what cause it need to get moving plus I need to gain back my strength!  But I was there Friday and of course now my knee is completely swollen and bruised again...

With the MRI...he showed me on the computer my knee and kneecap, and then how my femur bone is at an angle which is then making my kneecap kind of go off to the side...   

Offline schinz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »
What are your angles on your right and left femur?

support