Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: too early for surgery??  (Read 1713 times)

Offline jackie_m

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
too early for surgery??
« on: December 03, 2003, 04:39:31 AM »
Hello all, I'm new here, so please excuse any breaches of protocol.

After getting to meet SO many doctors over the past couple of months, I've just come from the ortho who thinks the tumour in my knee is either localized PVNS, giant cell tumour of tendon sheath or (slight possibility) synovial sarcoma.

Here's my question. He initially told me he wanted an MRI to define location, vasculature, etc. Then decided to do surgery next friday and not wait. However, many things I am seeing strongly recommend at least an MRI prior to open surgery (non-arthroscopic).

I've also just realized that he did not discuss any of the surgical concerns - possible consequences, anesthesia, etc.

Is this fairly typical and just normal pre-op jitters? Anyone have experience with anything like this?

thank you, J.

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
Re: too early for surgery??
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 09:14:42 PM »
J-
I can't give you any kind of technical information about the procedure that your OS is recommending, but it sounds like he feels some kind of urgency to get in that knee and take care of the tumor.

It's very normal to be nervous when you are going in for surgery, but if you have questions, it's better to have them answered before hand.  I think that the more you know, the better off you will be.  My suggestion to you is that you need to write any and all questions down and then approach you OS with them.  This way, you will be less likely to forget any questions you need answers to.  Finding out the answers you need may help to calm some of your fears.  This may also help you to better understand why he is wanting to do a procedure so quickly, and can also help you to know what to expect as far as your recovery goes.

Best of luck!
Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 09:16:39 PM »
J-
I'm sorry, I totally forgot to welcome you to the boards!  Welcome to the boards.  I think you will find many very kind people here who are able and willing to offer support and comfort and some good advice!

Hope you enjoy being here and please always feel free to ask questions!!

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline mghairlady

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • LR, Medial Reticular Repair,  waiting for TTT
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 09:16:40 PM »
Hi Jackie,

I slipped on a wet concret floor at work and really messed up my knee.  I went to the emergency room.  My knee had immediately swollen to the size of a basket ball. The on-call OS had just some simple x-rays done and said stay off it, then when the swelling goes down we'll do surgery.   Since it is a workmans compensation case I had to do an MRI.  Dr said he would start with arthoscopy and then open if needed.
Seemed pretty logical to me too.  It was obvious that something was going to need to be done, so start with the least evasive and open up if needed.  

My dr sounds alot like yours.  He dosen't volunteer much information.  I would call the dr's office up and voice your concerns.  I did, and now he knows that he has to satisfy my curious mind.

Hope this helps
Melissa

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 09:21:54 PM »
I agree with you Melissa- Some doctors are under the assumption that patients are seeking a fix to their problems, and not really concerned with the details.  And there are some doctors that feel that the patients need to know as little as possible, which in my opinion is totally off-base.

My feeling is that a well informed patient is a plus as far as dealing with pain/sickness/injury and recovery from these things.  I always ask any questions that I feel I need the answers to.  After all, when you are the patient- you have every right to know.

Have a great day!
Lezlee

Offline jackie_m

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 05:04:24 PM »
Thank you all for your responses! I did call the docs office Tuesday, and he himself called back yesterday. I was fully expecting the receptionist, so this was a pleasant surprise - and saved one move afternoon off work for an appointment!

I do feel much better now that I've gotten the details. Although could have done without the discussion on pain to expect! Oh well, there are worst times of year to have a few weeks off.

Thanks you again to all! Jackie

Helen_uk

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 05:18:06 PM »
Good luck jackie with it all we are all here for you and will be sending positive vibes your way and we are here for you when you need us
Love H xx

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 11:58:20 PM »
Hi Jackie:

I'm new to the boards too, and have to say that I agree with Helen, Lezlee and Melissa...the more you know, the less fearful you are likely to be.  I've had 5 surgeries after being run over by a car and will be having a Fulkerson's Osteotomy in March.  I love my OS - he does tremendous work and has helped me a lot - but has never been big on pre-op information.  After my last surgery (an open reconstruction), I was placed in an immobilizer brace.  Since I had previously had arthroscopies, I didn't know that I was really NOT supposed to be weight-bearing and NOT supposed to take the dang thing off until my follow-up visit with him 10 days later, so I came in for the visit without the brace on.  Man, did he YELL!!!  Apparently, I could have had shot an embolism, ruined the surgical repair that was done, etc., etc. - but how was I supposed to know, since he never explained any of this before hand - or for that matter, after the surgery?! You know, he's a great clinician...just not so great at the bedside manner.
Anyway, if it weren't for all the great people on this board, I wouldn't know half the stuff I now know in preparation for my Fulkerson's, and I even have a list of questions I will ask my OS at my pre-op exam (yes, write down your questions, as suggested...otherwise you'll get nervous during the visit and forget EVERYTHING).
Best of luck to you, Jackie...keep smiling and check in with the board to let us know how you made out.
Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 04:51:58 PM »
Holly,
what a story about you and the immobilizer!! :o I would love to have seen your doc's face! Did you mention to him that you weren't given adequate post op instructions?
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

support