Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Miralax better than fiber and Docusate Sodium (stool softener)?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline starpolisher

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Miralax better than fiber and Docusate Sodium (stool softener)?
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »
I take a fiber drink AM and PM plus docusate sodium stool softener (4 a day) for constipation since I am on morphine.  Is Miralax better?  My pain doc recommended Senna S (which is the vegetable laxative) in the dosusate sodium if I need a laxative.  I have read about Miralax here on several posts.  Is it better?  Thanks so much.  Sometimes I'll forget a fiber drink or miss a stool softener and occasionally need a laxative....not that often but I do at times. 

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Miralax better than fiber and Docusate Sodium (stool softener)?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 02:39:55 AM »
Miralax or lactulose (an rx that's similar) can take longer to work than some over the counter laxatives, but they arent so rough on the system. I've got a "slow" tract because it's longer than usual and has a couple extra turns in it, - don't ask how I know, but I end up needing some aid in this category occasionally. If you end up needing something on a regular basis, look into lactulose. It helps stop the water from being absorbed from the tract as heavily, and thus making the transit easier. it's something that can be taken over a longer duration if need dictates, but it is rx.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline starpolisher

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Miralax better than fiber and Docusate Sodium (stool softener)?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
Thanks so much dm....you explained it very well and will ask my pain doctor about a prescription.  I drink a lot of water every day....due to the Astym (you need to drink plenty of fluids) and just always have water with me, but I still feel I have to always drink water so often.....and feel weak lately. 

support