Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondritis Descean (sp)  (Read 676 times)

Offline bridaman51

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Osteochondritis Descean (sp)
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »
To make a long story short I was diagnosed with this when I was 17 (I am now 33) I have had multiple surgeries since then.  A few of them have been micro fracture like the original one.  My last surgery was about 5 years ago.  The doctor was talking about the possibility of doing the OATS procedure but wanted to look first.  While in the knee he realized it was not as bad as originally thought, he did another micro fracture (as some of my plug was still in tact) and also removed a nearly 3 inch cyst from my ACL.  The knee felt great for several years, then about a year or so ago it started to ache again, nothing major, it had good days and bad days.  Well 8 weeks ago I was up in a ladder (about 10 feet) and fell out of it.  I landed on my other foot, and tore that ankle up pretty bad.  Needless to say I was on crutches for a while and was totally weight bearing on that repaired knee.  Now that knee is killing me, it is swollen like a balloon and is aching more than it ever did.  I am going to my regular doctor Friday for my ankle (which still is not healed either) and I will show him my knee.  I really do not want surgery again, and I am afraid of what the orthopedic DR will say.  5 years ago the first words out of his mouth was I had the knee of an 80 year old man, and said it looked like I needed a TKR, and wanted to avoid that at my young age.  Thankfully that was not the case, I guess my concern is what are the odds I would need something that drastic?