Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Has anyone bought iontophoresis over the internet?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Diegas

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Has anyone bought iontophoresis over the internet?
« on: October 02, 2011, 06:53:07 PM »
I have PF arthritis.  Also, for the past 6 months I have had a very swollen hoffa fat pad due to an allergic reaction to viscosupplementation (euflexxa).  I have tried iontophoresis on the fat pad twice and have had no lasting benefit.

I just read a couple of posts where users have had to do 8-9 iontophoresis treatments to really get a benefit.  So, I am thinking about giving it another chance since I have only tried it twice.

I just noticed that Amazon sells the iontophoresis patches.  It sure would be convenient to do it myself at home instead of having to go to PT to have it done.  Has anyone bought the iontophoresis patches themselves and done it at home?  If so, do you recommend any brand of patch?
01/2012 RK synovectomy and chondroplasty surgery
01/2012 Same problems start with LK
01/2013 Considering surgery on LK

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Has anyone bought iontophoresis over the internet?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:46:21 AM »
If I understand the process correctly, the patches do not have the drug in them, which is why you have to go to pt to have it done under monitored conditions. The patch is the holder for the steroid which is driven into the tissues with the estim as I understand the process from having watched others inflicted with it. I usually just get shot up in the tendon space, bursa, or joint space directly at my OS... and he kindly puts some lidocaine in with the steroid to make it a bit less awful....
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Diegas

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 05:34:41 AM »
I have already had two steroid injections this year, so the OS is hesitant to do another until more time passes.  I had them directly into the joint instead of into the fat pad.  If I do get another steroid injection after some more time passes, I will ask that the injection be placed directly into the fat pad since that is the only part of my knee that is swollen at this point.

I have the bottle of steroid liquid used for iontophoresis, the PT always sends it home with me, I think they are afraid they will lose track of it.  So, since I have that I could do the iontophoresis at home if I get the patches. I am hoping the PT will show me exactly how to do it when I am there next so I can do it at home. 

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 07:33:43 AM »
If I were you I would wait. In case you didn't know, you can do damage to the tendons and other tissues by getting too much steroids applied to the tissues in too short a time span, hence the reason your os said to wait. The usual for steroid shots or other procedures using steroids via injection is 4 times a year, or every 3 months, max. the amount used in a course of iontophoresis cumulatively adds up to what would be used in an injection, if not more, as it's given over time. so I would not do this as you risk weakening tendons/ligaments permanently and you could end up having one rupture.

Steroids are serious business, and they cannot easily, if at all, rebuild tendons and ligaments if you blow one due to steroid misuse, so I would highly advise you not self-treat with iontophoresis and steroids.

I think it dubious legal ground for them to show you how to self-treat with something that has such a high potential for injury, but whether or not they choose to is something they would have to decide.

multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Diegas

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 03:42:13 AM »
That is good advice, I know steroids are powerful and can be detrimental to surrounding tissue.  The last steroid shot I got was in april, but I am not sure I want to do another shot and would rather do the iontophoresis.  I will wait until my next PT appt and discuss with them.  I am also seeing the OS soon, so will see what he thinks about all the options.