Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help on exercises please  (Read 1049 times)

Offline bevsk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help on exercises please
« on: September 25, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
Hi
I'm new to this site and would like some tips and advice please?!
I have had my knee wahed out, spur removed, microfractured for stem cells to grow 3 weeks ago.
I hae suffered from cold feet loss of touch to all of foot, although it is starting to come back.
The wounds outsde are healed but my knee area badly swollen and I can't weight bear for 8 weeks then I go into a walking brace (whatever that is?)
So knee not bending much but anyone who has some tips about what I can be doing non weight bearing of course would realy be of a great help to me.
Many thanks
bevsk
 ::)

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
Re: Help on exercises please
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »
 I was given a CPM (continuous passive movement) machine to use for 8 hours a day for 6 weeks.  I was also aloud to bear weight after 1 week but couldn't bend it while bearing weight.
I was told it was important to keep bending my knee or it could lock up.
I did leg raises, heal slides, put a coffee can under my knee and bent it up and down, from standing swing leg front to back side to side hold onto something like a walker or railing.
FYI my MFX failed and am moving  on to another procedure
Best of luck and keep on trudging though it gets better.

Laurie :)
9/2010 fell broke nose and injured L knee
10/2010 MRI  negetive
1/21/2011 diagnostic arhtroscopy woke up with MFX
8/11/2011 new MRI showed failed MFX
9/1/2011 Biopsy for carticel
11/1/2011 ACI
5/31/12 scope and microfracture again 1/2 ACI failed
9/2/12 Scheduled OATS,Osteotomy

Laurie

Offline bevsk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:29:40 PM »
Thanks Laurie for the can tip
Can you tell me how I can get a CPM machine and what this does?
It's funny about time difference about non weight bearing, as my doc doesn't want me to weight bear for 8 weeks.
Do you know anyone else who has had the micro fracture and what their results were.
thanks
bevsk

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:42:48 AM »
With microfracture, the weight bearing protocols depend completely on where the lesion was found. If it was on a non-weight bearing part of the bone, you won't be under the same restrictions. If it's on a weight bearing part of the bone, you'll be given really strict instructions about how long you have to stay off the leg. The clot that forms where the microfracture was done is very fragile, and takes time to heal.

Because the protocol varies so much depending on the location of the microfracture, I would talk to your OS or a physiotherapist who is experienced with microfracture recovery and knows the details of your case to get suggestions for exercises that you could be doing. The stories you hear about other people's experiences may be helpful, but I wouldn't assume that something recommended for someone else would be appropriate for your own recovery without checking in with your surgeon.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline bevsk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:48:06 PM »
Hi Snowy
Many thanks for that advice you are quite right and I have since seen my Physio an I start work in the hydro pool next week so hoping that gets my knee working a wee bit more. I've only another month to go before I see the os who will then tell me if I can go into the walking brace but until then i have to stay off the weight bearing. Just keeping my fingers crossed that this works so I can get to skiing etc
bevsk

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 08:36:28 PM »
I was NWB for 6 weeks the PWB for another 6 weeks.  I would follow your PT advise.  Every person is different and every surgery is different.  What was right for me might be wrong for you.  I too had a CPM macine which I believe helped me regain my range of motion much faster then I otherwise would have. 

Offline brianwith2ndknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 02:14:01 AM »
Hello and hope everything is getting better for you . Of course we are all in this site for the same reason , but as others have said we all have different scenerios whether it be body mass , location , activity , etc . I my self had a failed MF on the right knee from 1 1/2 years ago . I am a general contractor , so I am pretty rough on my body .  After the surgery I did change my ways , but unfortunatley I am now recovering from an OAT's procedure with my own parts ( no cadavers or donors ) , reconstruction , and femoral nerve blocking . After the 4th day I noticed my foot loosing sensation , getting cold from my toes and moving up to my ankles , and more swelling / pain in the knee . I went into the OS office and they aspirated 26 cc's of blood/fluid from the knee . I gained my sensation , color , and temp back within 15 - 20 min . I have also been using a Tenz unit which does low freq. electrical stimulation . I find alot of releif in many ways from this device . You can get them in a portable package about the size of a cell phone which makes it great for using it when ever or where ever . I hope you find some solutions soon and good luck wtih a fast and healthy recovery .
Brian S
Knee Scope and Microfracture 03-2010
OAT's procedure , Reconstruction , Femoral nerve block 10-2011

Wishing everyone a healthy speedy recovery and good luck to all...
Brian S