Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Accupunture or Chiropractor?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Accupunture or Chiropractor?
« on: December 01, 2003, 08:10:10 PM »
It's the 2nd month into the New year and did say I will try out accpunture but still now not sure if I should see a Chiropractor instead. Please read my posting dated 12/02/04 for latest update.

'Will Accupunture Help Me posting' (orginal posting)

I have just been on my third visit to Podiatrist and have just been given my third and final set of temporary insole that has slightly higher wedges then previous two wedges. So far it has not been any help to ease knee pain in both knees after 4 weeks.

He told me it takes time for leg muscles around kneecap to build up and get use to insoles. Since wearing the insoles my knees hurt more, that can also be felt on my hips and have been doing various leg muscle exercises to strengthen leg muscles since July 2003.

The pain is not constant pain, feel it more when walking or standing and when lifting heavy objects, can rotate knee fully as well. As many Members know already have not been able to run since April 2003 and limping seems to have increased in last 2 months that slowing my walking pace.

I will try the final temporary insoles for 6 weeks and if there still no improvements he recommended seeing a PT, who also does Acupuncture. It will involve 6 seasons of PT and acupuncture at a total cost of 190. Is it worth me paying 190 to have acupuncture and there is no guarantee that it will help cure or ease knee problems. Have any Members found that acupuncture helped there knee problems or is a waste of money.

The Podiatrist says that there should have been some improvements with my knees by now and could be a problems internally in the knee that may require arthroscopy.

I will try to avoid any type of knee Surgery unless it will help and have heard bad things about Surgery from Knee Talk Members.

I asked him what he thought about seeing a Chiropractic as Members on this website say it helped them. The Podiatrist seems to think it will not help my situation that is why he thinks acupuncture is better.

The thought of having any type of Surgery scares me and have never stayed in Hospital in the 25 years of my life. :(

Thanks for taking your time to read, Nick. :)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 07:34:58 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline heronak

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Will Acupucture help me!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 07:15:06 PM »
Nick,

I did a course of 6 acupuncture treatments in Sept/Oct to reduce pain from osteoarthritis and avoid a total knee replacement.  I was pretty skeptical, but since I don't believe western medicine has all the answers and do believe in other forms of healing I gave it a try.

I tried not to change anything else I was doing so I could see if it helped.  After 6 sessions, one week apart, I had experienced no relief and we decided to stop for awhile and reassess.

Since the end of October I've had a period of lessened knee pain, but since I've increased the frequency of my weight lifting, it might be due to that.

So, what does that tell you?  Not much!  Would I do acupuncture again?  Yes, but probably not for osteoarthritis - I think my knee is too far gone for it to be effective, but I would try it again for other pain.  It's certainly expensive ($70/session, not covered by insurance of course), but I like the Dr. I had.

Best of luck to you, I hope you find relief.

Heron
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 07:16:15 PM by heronak »

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Will Acupucture help me!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 01:13:40 PM »
Nick,

I had some acupuncture done a couple of years ago to help with patello-femoral pain due to constant dislocations and post-TTT pain.  Initially I didn't think that it had done any good but after a couple of weeks I did feel an improvement - not a huge improvement but definately my pain subsided a bit.  I would say that its worth a try, it seems to be one of these things that works for some and not for others - you might be one of the lucky ones that it helps.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Accupunture or Chiropractor?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 07:50:37 PM »
I am still undecided about on what decision to make next about having acupuncture, or seeing a Chiropractor. My Podiatrist and PT told me seeing Chiropractor would not really help, but many Members on this board have found them to be very helpful and understanding. A good Chiropractor can feel what could be wrong with knees and could actually relieve knee pain.

I have 2 options see a PT who also does Acupuncture (need to see a new PT) or see a Chiropractor that costs around the same in consultation fees. No improvement to both knees since last posting on this topic and insoles have not helped so which option should I choose. If I choose acupuncture/PT, it will cost 45 for 1st session, and 30 for a further 6 sessions and will cost 195 ($368 US). Can get half back through BUPA Cash Plan. It slightly cheaper to see a Chiropractor.

Maybe try out both, but which one 1st is what I not sure about. Thanks Heron and Natalie for your postings that have been very helpful, Nick :)(2004):)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 07:51:32 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Accupunture or Chiropractor?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 08:25:53 PM »
Hey Nick...it really is a maze sorting out these knee trouble..I know.  
My orthotics (insoles) gave me hell for the first 6 weeks I had them in my shoes. My knees were on fire all the time and I got pretty depressed. However, they are no longer affecting my knees this way and the muscles have begun to change and improve. My Right knee LR knee has really started to show improvement. The xrays taken two weeks ago look even better than the ones taken in September that looked pretty good.  ;D So that is a positive thing.  
I will give you my take on the chiro thing. I am seeing a chiropractor, have been for almost 3 months now.  ;)  It's made a huge difference in my back and hip, as there was alot of pain in these areas.  The scar tissue in my right leg from the LR surgery has been mobilized alot better than it had been before and it's made alot of difference for me.  My left knee is still very painful, HOWEVER... when comparing skyline xrays from two years ago, of the left knee, to the skyline xrays taken just two weeks ago, there has been improvement in the position of the left patella. IT is still subluxed and tilted at 30 degrees but not the extent that it was before.  I am having a LR on this knee in the coming months, but it's encouraging to see how much change the chiropractic care has achieved.
I have had accupuncture, when I was about 16 years old, and I found it of no benefit..but that doesn't mean it can't help you.  NOt everything works for everyone.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
HUGS
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support