Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: patellar tracking braces  (Read 3540 times)

Offline kiarmuid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
patellar tracking braces
« on: December 01, 2003, 06:21:25 PM »
Any experience / recommendations for a knee brace designed to improve patellar tracking.  I am interested in the most "runner friendly" one available in the US.

Thanks

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: patellar tracking braces
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 11:53:57 PM »
Hi there.

Your best bet would be to talk to a physical therapist or specialized orthotist (person who fits braces).  I've had better luck with the PT than anyone else, because I've found the orthotist was just pushing whatever line of braces paid him the most.

If you have standard mal-tracking (that's kind of a joke, because we are all different) then Breg makes an EXCELLENT brace.  Specifically, if your kneecap tracks to the outside (laterally) then the Breg PTO is a great brace.  Go to www.bregdirect.com or www.breg.com and look up patellofemoral braces.  The PTO is their best-selling, most often prescribed model.

One caveat--you're not meant to run in the things.  If you really must continue running, you might want to see a physical therapist and learn how to tape your knee.  I've had very good success with Kinesio tape (it's very skin friendly, and easy to apply) because it's waterproof and sweatproof.  Old-fashioned taping probably won't work for you because you have to use two layers of tape and it comes loose with repeated motion.  Kinesio is designed for athletes and you only need one layer--it's literally changed my life.  You could probably learn how to tape your knee for proper tracking with a few visits to PT and then you'd be good to go.

If your knees continue to hurt, maybe running is not the sport for you?  I had to give it up 10 years ago, so I know what it's like.  However, I wish I'd taken better care of my knees, so I wouldn't find myself at age 33 with severe osteoarthritis....

Anyway, many of us love our Breg PTO braces, but they are meant for use while around the house, shopping, on our feet, or when the knee is really hurting.  I can't imagine running in it, because it would slip down, get sweaty, and really be a pain.  I don't know that there are any appropriate braces for runners or high impact athletes (except ligament braces, and that's another thing entirely)--that's why tape was invented.  Tape is great for a short period of time, but it loses its elasticity, so after a couple of hours it doesn't provide as much tracking correction.

A good physical therapist could be your best friend in terms of assessing your individual situation and then designing a rehab and taping/bracing routine that's right for your problem.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 08:39:09 PM »
 ;D ;D Just wanted to add-I love my Breg PTO  ;D ;D

cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 02:17:58 AM »
My OS gave me a BREGG and it was wonderful, but yes, speak with someone who can make sure that you get the one that will best suit your knee and your needs.

Let us know what you find out and good luck!!

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 11:22:00 PM »
I couldn't live without my Breg PTO braces, I have one for each knee. Definately speak to someone but check out the PTO www.breg.com
Good luck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support