Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Allyd's MPFL + Lateral Lengtheing - 9/23/11  (Read 22122 times)

Offline LKnees

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Allyd's MPFL + Lateral Lengtheing - 9/23/11
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2012, 07:46:08 AM »
 Sorry to hear that ally. Your overall health definitely comes first so I wouldn't really worry about your knee right now.
Take it easy!
Come to think of it, it's been over a year since I've lifted over 35 lbs because of my knees. Relaxing for a month isn't so bad in the long run.

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2012, 05:46:12 PM »
Hi Allyd,

Sorry to hear about your emergency surgery - I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago and you will feel a bit washed out for a while... Just take it easy, keep doing your stretches, quad clenches etc and add stuff bit by bit when you feel able to.

Get well soon!!! There's always something else to deal with when you already have enough on your plate... ::)

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2012, 12:11:26 AM »
THanks for the kind words!

I'm beginning to come out of my post surgery hibernation. Been back at work for a week, and am finally getting my energy back. Which means its time for a  little knee maintenance. I'm starting to get back on the bike for about 10-15minutes, no resistance. Few more weeks until I can work on strength/core, but I'm okay with that as I think I need the break and/or something to slow me down. Because... My knee is feeling better and more "normal" - Amazing what a little rest will do for the healing process. [email protected] that woman for being right. Every. Time. Someday, I hope to prove my OS wrong on something... just so I can be right. I have issues, I know.

I do pose the question... If my general surgeon said it was okay to jog, does that overrule my ortho surgeon? okay, maybe the general didn't know the ortho told me not to. lol... Just looking for a way to work the system.  ;)
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2012, 01:01:16 AM »
7 Months Post Op

Just realized another month has passed. My Knee has definitely settled down since the February flare up and ensuing cortisone. I'm just amazed at how much strength I've lost. But I guess you sit around on your butt for two months and it should be expected. I started back at PT last week - given everything that happened, my OS/PT thought this was the best course.

I'm definitely further back than I even thought - it took about 2secs for my PT to proclaim "you are NOT allowed to run or jump". I know it's pretty weak as it's very shaky, but I do think PT's are more conservative than what my knee often feels like. I think it could handle more than she is letting me do. But it is what it is. She thinks it will come back fairly quickly as I have a good base strength. Goal right now is a volleyball tourney at the end of July - if for nothing else than to start breaking down some mental walls and apprehension I've constructed for my knee. I'm gonna see my PT every couple weeks to make sure we can work towards this. Okay, lets be real they don't trust me on my own - I think they've figured out I might, just might push the boundaries. In my PT's words... "i know you like to work independantly, BUT... I think you should keep coming in... that way I can monitor you"

Dissapointed in that we are rolling into summer and I had hoped to be back in the normal swing of things for my knee in terms of activity. (i'm tired of modifying summer fun because of my knee) But had it not been for other extenuating health issues, I wouldn't be as far behind. So given everything, I'm truly just happy that it feels better and is back to "improving" each day. SO the knee is good, and any doubt I had about it a couple months ago has passed. Time heals, and am excited to get full use of a stable knee once I get my strength up to speed.

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2012, 07:43:58 PM »
I have the same thing with my PT.  I just started doing some walk/running (I call it that).  My first walk/run out I did about 50/50 and it took me about 20 mins to do our neighborhood.  Apparently that was too much, I was told to slow down a bit.  I was also told, Good Mechanics outweigh sloppiness but longer.  I too play Vball but I will be looking into that a little farther into the fall.  I am going to start biking and running again after this week is over.  It's inventory time here and its a nightmare!!  Take Care Allyd

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »
Hey Krunzer - it sounds like things are going well for you. I get the PT theory of it's better to go slow and progress than to fast and set yourself back, but especially when I WAS doing all the fun stuff, to now tell me I can't. it's simply frustrating - especially when more of it has to do with non-knee related issues. fml! lol. So yes, i'm officially jealous of you running/walking!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2012, 08:46:50 PM »
Figured it was time for a little update. Iím a little over 8 months post-opÖ which seems like forever. And in the last week or so, Iíve really tried to re-focus and tell myself all the good things this surgery has done. My knee is stable, less pain, and I am by far less cautious about how I move or watching where I walk. I tend to forget that and complain about the stiffness, weakness and inability to use it the way I want to at this point.

Sticking with PT appts every couple weeks and am starting to progress back into return to sport exercises (jumping/jogging/etc)  As long I stay focused, Iím on track for a vball tourney in 4 weeks. That is if I can mentally wrap my mind around it. Iíve run some athletic experiments. Iíll simply say - making progress going forward I think is going to be more mental than physical. If I can get past the mental block(s) I think my muscle memory will help me turn the corner once and for all.

While my knee is still a consideration in most events Ė I can say itís not holding me back from my life. In the last few weeks, Iíve mowed some lawn, did some tourist-y walking things in Milwaukee, and have spent many days planting flowers and stuff. Life happens, and Iím  happy to see my knee hold up well afterwards.

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »
Feels good doesn't it?  I am glad you are progressing so well.  How do you find kneeling on your knee?  To me it still seems really weird and painful (the skin not the actual joint) as well as it is still numb.  I planted my garden a couple weekends ago and did it all standing up, my back was sore afterwards. 
Glad to hear you are on track for a vball tourney!  I miss Vball but I am definately not ready for the cutting and jumping that it requires at the moment.  I have to get out and start running again!  I am six months post op now but seem to be a little farther behind than you.  But I know that I have not been near as dedicated and some really crappy stuff happened in the past couple of months. 
I too understand that your knee is a consideration in most things.  We went on some short hikes when we went for holidays just this past week and I did a 4KM walk for MS which flared up my knee quite a bit because of the hills in the trails we were walking.  And I definately understand the mental hurdles a person has to go through in order to get their mind around their body working 'properly'.  It takes a lot of mental preparedness to make yourself do something that you never thought you could or have not done in what seems like forever.  Keep pushing through those and you will soon be doing it without even thinking about it!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2012, 03:43:21 AM »
I pretty much avoid actual kneeling. I wouldn't say it hurts... It's just numb yet and I don't like that I can't feel it against the ground. To weird and uncontrolled. Ovrall the numbness I have left doesn't really bother me on a whole.

Great Job on the 4K Krunzer. My goal this summer was to run a 5k (even though I HATE running, I put it on my bucket list when I decided to get my crap together fitness wise a couple years ago). I'm a little behind on that goal thanks to my last few interesting months - About the time you think you have everything planned out life throws you curveballs. So I'll settle for a little Vball - defnitely my favorite summer activity. I know I'm not gonna be a 100% this year, but just want to get out there for a few matches to gain some confidence. We'll both get there, just have to keep working at it.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2012, 08:22:40 AM »
Good news and great to read that you've been doing things like a "normal" person! Isn't it great when you forget about the operated-on body part and get stuck into life? Sounds like you're getting there...I suspect the 5k won't be an issue next summer!

Take care

Lottie x
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2012, 01:06:07 AM »
Today was a good day! My PT agreed that I'm ready to try and ease back into some volleyball. I have a 'friendly' tournament this weekend that I'm going try and get some reps in. We talked about simply considering it a practice environment and making it safe... start by warming up with the team, and see how I can move around the court, how it feels and maybe just playing in a couple of matches. Either way, I'm excited and a little scared all at once. Will be an interesting weekend!

The last couple of weeks my knee has been feeling great, and I can feel some of the power in my leg starting to return - which eases my worries about getting back into sports. While the strength was obviously returning, I lacked the power and drive in my legs... But it's getting there.

On another funny note, I sarcastically asked if I was yet approved to play volleyball AND drink at the same time... lol. She just laughed at me.

Offline Chellie1992

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2012, 06:05:20 AM »
Good luck and have fun at your volleyball tournament this weekend! :)  I can't wait until I can get back to playing pickup soccer and riding horses.
3/20/2011 right knee dislocation & bone bruises
7/21/2011 arthroscopy with lateral release
6/8/2012 MPFL reconstruction
8/11/2014 TTT and lateral retinaculum repair
11/29/2014 Patellar Tendon rupture, Patella and Tibia fractures

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2012, 01:27:04 PM »
Wow, how great! Hope you have a fab time and win a couple.... ;D

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
Take it easy on the diving!!!  What position do you play?  Good luck with it anyways and have fun!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »
Diving!? HaÖ yeah, I donít think so. ;D Thanks for all the support everyone Ė Iíll post again next week with how everything went. I have high hopes! Lol.

I generally play co-ed, so that automatically makes girls setters. (and to be honest, I couldnít tell you what all the positions are anyways! Iíve really only played rec-league in my adult years. I was a basketball junkie as a kid and through high school)