Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Allyd's MPFL + Lateral Lengtheing - 9/23/11  (Read 21882 times)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Allyd's MPFL + Lateral Lengtheing - 9/23/11
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
Well, Iíve officially hit the 9 month mark. It DOES NOT seem like itís been that long!

Weekend Update:
Volleyball I would say went fairly well. Iím still standing on two feet with no major ill effects to my knee. The whole experience was a little scary. I donít think Iíve ever been so nervous stepping onto a field or court of any sport. Thereís a lot of mental barriers to break down, so Iím really glad I got out there.

It held up well, but the down time in between games was starting to get to it as the day went on. Warm up, cool downÖ repeat = no good. I didnít get any pain really, but it was just stressed and tiring out by the end of the day. The level of play was definitely not up to standard, but I expect it to improve as I regain confidence both mentally and physically. Now, back to strength & endurance training for the next tourney in 1 month!

Overall Update:
It will be interesting to take my feed back into my PT in a couple weeks. Iím not sure there is much more to be done at PT, I think we just need to fit in a functional test my OS wants and Iíll be off on my own again. My knee has Ďhealedí  and strength is getting there. I have a few things that are lingering and a bit unexplained. (some lateral tightness, and it clicks/catches a bit on quad extension)

I predict a bit of a Ďcome to Jesusí moment with my OS at my 1 yr follow-up. I mostly think that itís a post-surgical knee and itís never going to be perfect. I just need my OS to clearly explain to me what the new normal is, accept it, and run with it. Because right now, I struggle to understand if some of my lingering problems are Ďnormalí or if they should be addressed. And I would say they nag at me more than they affect my activities or rehab. Ergo, that right there is probably my answer on whether it needs to be addressed.

All Indications and common standards also tell me that a year from now a lot of the lingering effects will have lessened as well. The long term patience for these things is more important than I ever could have imagined. Unfortunately, Iím not a patient person.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2012, 01:33:49 AM »
I laughed at the 'new normal' for your knee.  I too have been having the same problems/revelations.  I was told the clicking on extension will probably never go away.  As long as it does not cause any pain you are good to go.  Since the cartilage on the back side of your kneecap is now running in a new spot the wear  from where it was runninng before is different and therefore it is going to ulitimately feel different.  I have asked my PT a million questions and I think he is getting sick of me asking 'is this normal'???  He keeps saying, this will probably be your new normal.  I have some lateral tightness also and I am told it is my IT band and whenever I go get a massage he always massages it and it feels 10 times better afterwards.  In time it will loosen up, or at least mine has!  Right now my knee seems to be 'binding' on the lateral side between the joint or at least it feels that way.  I give it a good stretch and it usually loosens up, it never completely locks on me. 

I am not a patient person either!!  When I want to work out I want to work out 5 days a week...in a row.....or else I will usually give up on the workout program and I want results now.  I keep being told to slow down and listen to your knee.  Oh and ice......I don't have time for ice!!  Well yes I do but you know what I mean.

I am glad your vball went well!!  You are a tough person to take on that type of sport right now.  I could not even imagine setting foot on a vball court at the moment.  I would be, hit the ball directly to me cause if it isn't perfect I will probably not get it!!!  That or I would play 'corner'.  LOL. 

Glad to see you are progressing so well mentally and physically.  Some things are so tough to get over mentally!  Take care and keep up the good work!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2012, 02:55:22 AM »
yup, you're descriptions of the lateral tightness sound about the same. As does the explanation, treatment from my PT. We always do some manual therapy and it really helps. More so than the IT band my PT has explained that my quad is still somewhat imbalanced, and i'm getting stronger/tighter contraction laterally. It also generally loosens up some when I work out and has very slowly been getting better. But, alas i'm impatient and want it gone yesterday!

I'm also a legendary question asker with my PT! haha. She handles them well though. And yes, the volleyball pretty much needed to be hit right to me... and back row was easier than front. Gotta start somewhere. You'll get there too!  Tough person? maybe... or possibly just stupid. :) haha.

Offline nwc07

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2012, 04:23:37 AM »
I have found a very useful tool which has helped reduce lateral tightness.† It is called The Stick.† I do not know if I can include a link but it is sold in most runner's stores and on Amazon.† It is similar to a foam roller but easier to use and gives much better results.† I noticed a difference after one use!
09/10- left knee subluxation..

Offline Tiggs1986

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2012, 07:29:26 PM »
Glad volleyball went well Allyd! That gives my hope/confidence that I'll be snowboarding (albet cautiously) this coming season.  I've also noticed small clicks with my knee aswell but nothing like it was before surgery from what my PT has mentioned it's more loud clicks and painful ones that we gotta watch out for. Hope everything continues getting better and better!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2012, 08:36:28 PM »
Thanks for the support Tiggs. All reports from friends/family Iíve talked to that have had Ortho surgery and returned to sport is that YR1 is cautious levels, and real progress/normalcy is made in YR2. Just hold onto your goal and work towards it. My OS and PT have made me a huge believer in goals. As working towards something is a great motivator to put the work in everyday for your knee.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2012, 02:42:43 AM »
Just shy of 11 months post-op. Yikes. Time flies when you're having... fun? Officially released from PT a few weeks ago. Passed my return to sport functional test easily. And I go back for my 1 year post op on Sept 25th. Which is NOT that far away. Time to get out my pencil and paper and figure out my concerns/questions.

Played in a 2-day vball tourney couple weeks back. Went great... but my knee was getting tired/stressed by the end of day two. BUT! I guess after 12 games I should expect that?! I'll call that a success. Mental confidence is another topic, but I'm certain enough reps will work that out too.

Lateral tightness/stiffness... At one of my last PT appts we looked at my gate. I haven't been rolling over onto the ball of my foot well (I don't limp or anything, just not following through with the step, lifting my leg up rather than pushing off) It's extremely subtle, but enough to throw the quads out of whack. So, as I consciously walk/run correctly this has been improving and balancing out as well!

So apparently, I'm running out of things to complain about?

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2012, 12:25:46 AM »
Sounds like you are doing fantastic and I can only hope to be there by 11 months post op (I am at 8 and it seems like I have a long way to go). 

Good to hear that you are back to all of the sports.  Sounds like the cutting involved in vball is working out for you as you gain more confidence. 

Yes, make sure to write down every question you want answered.  You always get there and forget everything you wanted to ask. 

Good to hear that you have finished PT!  That in itself is a milestone.

Hope you keep making progress, good luck in the future.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »
I found this today, and just had to post it here. Made me laugh and think of the boards here.

http://www.someecards.com/go-on-cards/online-help-matthew-perry-go-on

Otherwise, things are good, no complaints. Have my 1 year post op appointment in a couple weeks. I wish I would have more time to spend/focus in the gym before then. But have been crazy busy with my brother's wedding, and other life events. The days seem to just get sucked up in so many activities lately.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:41:53 PM by allyd »

Offline Tiggs1986

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2012, 04:10:41 AM »
so glad everything's looking up for you allyd! good luck at your appt!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Allyd's MPFL + Lateral Lengthening - 9/23/11
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »
Wow can't believe I'm writing about my 1 year post-op.

I had my follow up with my OS - which can be an adventure. But today it mostly wasn't. She felt I was doing great. we discussed a few of my concerns. mostly about the residual tightness... and some of the discomfort I get with increased activity. She was pretty straight with me in addressing. I've had some serious injuries, and some cartilage damage, as well as major surgery. It's not all going to go away, and given all that, stiffness/tightness at this stage is generally the biggest complaint of patients. Realism. and i knew it all to be true, It actually just makes me feel better to know I am where I should be with it. She really just encouraged me to continue with and find a routine/activity level that my knee can handle and see what happens going forward. She really didn't tell me anything my PT already hadn't, but for some reason it's more believable from the doctor?

She also said some of the tightness/pull i feel at times is simply because the grafts they use are not the ideal strength.... they are actually to strong, and hopefully someday they will find something of more appropriate strength to use... blah,blah,blah smart stuff... Me thinking: that's great, but I got the current model, what's MY solution for it? lol. It is what it is, but like she said, the long term results have been good, and they aren't seeing any decline.

In her exam, she said the knee is as quiet as it ever has been. She seemed really happy with that. We discussed confidence and stability, I shared with her how stable it feels in that I'm slowly getting back into sports, daily life is less cautious, etc. She gave me a huge smile and said - I think we can call this a success! I also need to follow up with an email to her, and ask for my KOOS knee score from before and after. Which will be interesting. I'm glad she offered up, because I sort of explained to her that I'm fairly certain things are way better, i've lost all frame of reference, and all I can see/focus on is the problems left behind from surgery. So, thank goodness for research! Love when you can quantify this stuff. I'll try to post my before and after once I receive.

Downside of the appt. - even though we both agreed it is doing good, i still need to go back in another year.  ::) I'm fairly certain this is mostly because I am her lab rat. hmmm... was sort of hoping for the pat on the back, great job, i never want to see you again. Instead I got "we'll see you again at 24 months!"

Overall 1 year impression for anyone crazy enough to follow my story: The surgery did exactly what I asked it to. I'm definitely more active than a pre-surgery, and I feel more confidence will increase my participation in sports even more yet. For anyone considering surgery that's read this far... don't underestimate the road traveled, be realstic in that you will always have a post-op knee. you can reach 100% in strength and stability - but the trade off may be some ongoing discomfort. I'm happy to say mine doesn't hold me back.

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2012, 02:21:06 AM »
Awesome news indeed!  It is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when going through those dark moments but in the end, I hope it works out for everyone!

I'm sure when the time comes, my OS will be more than happy to kick me off his caseload and won't even suggest the 24 month visit; been working with him for the last four years with 4 bilateral knee surgeries, one knee and one shoulder surgical date, and all the post-op care from my surgeries in MI-seen him every 4 weeks-4 months for the last 4 years which equals A LOT of visits.  Think we might just have to have a 'hope to never see you again' party when that day rolls around!   ;D
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI
7/10-R derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, LPFL reconstruction
6/11-L derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, R hardware removal
1/12-L tibial hardware removed, R scapulectomy
4/12-L femoral hardware removed
7/12-L & R MPFL reconstruction

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2012, 09:09:29 AM »
Well done Allyd, Im really happy for you and your happy ending  :)

I'm sure the 1yr appointment is just follow-up because you had a few lingering concerns, and she'll just want to see you do the thumbs up when you go back and then kick you out!! ;D

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:48 AM »
Thank you both for the kind words. I really do have to say, my newfound knee is pretty awesome. I haven't really even kept up with PT exercises much the last couple months cause life has been so busy, and it's holding up great, if not feeling better. (probably likes the rest!)

And I'm 100% positive the follow up a year from now is for her benefit mostly. I respect her and her process, and what she's trying to do... so I'll jog my way on in there next fall. :) I think we all look forward to the "hope to never see you again" convo. I was getting ready to say my awesome thanks, you've done so much for me speech... instead I think I blurted out "you want to see me again???" "really???" lol. 

It's amazing how much these surgeons begin to mean in our lives. Not seeing them can become a little sad... I still miss seeing my first (not current)OS a little!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »
DREAMERS: Dream about where they want to go.
DOERS: Do what it takes to get there.

Came across that saying today. And I really felt like it applied to my knees. And is great advice for anyone tackling knee issues.

Anyways Ė got some ďnumbersĒ back from my OS. My KOOS survey score improvement is (pre-op to 1yr post-op):
Pain Category Ė 61 to 89
Symptoms Ė 39 to 46
Activities of Daily Living Ė 81 to 94
Sports/rec Ė 35 to 55
Quality of life Ė 25 to 56
Overall Ė 59 to 76

Per my OS - 100 is best, a meaningful improvement is 10 points. Most of her patients score post-op 60-ish to 80-ish. And she thinks my scores look great.
Definitely helps me feel better about where Iíve been and where I am now. Iím a numbers person, so anytime I can quantify somethingÖ always good. Still work to be done, and I can easily see where I want to improve my scores for my 2yr follow-up. Of note: I personally don't put a lot of weight in the symptoms category. Itís a Ďgeneralí knee survey that doesnít specifically account for something like patellar instability. Which is my main symptom improvement.