Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Allyd's MPFL + Lateral Lengtheing - 9/23/11  (Read 22114 times)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Allyd's MPFL + Lateral Lengtheing - 9/23/11
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
Interesting, Confusing - yes. But one was able to do a physical exam, while the other was assessing based on an email description. My gut feeling? There is probably some truth to both. I’m still able to go about my daily life just fine – so things could be much worse. We’ll see how it plays out.

In terms of the sublux, neither seems concerned with – Didn’t really ask my PT “why”, but stability checked out with firm endpoints, medially/laterally. OS addressed with: Doubt if it truly went OUT medially, but yes it can shift medially when one rolls over in bed. Usually not a problem over time. I will probably ask more questions when I see my OS next.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2012, 01:23:10 AM »
Quick update: As of this morning, I have a phone call in to my OS's office to try and get an appointment in the next couple of weeks. After being transfered three times, I finally got dumped into the vmail of my OS's nurse. sigh. Havent heard back yet. I suspect I'll be calling back tomorrow. And I even further suspect I'll be waiting until April 10th when my next appointment is.

Things have started to feel better w complete rest, the sharp pain I was having around the kneecap has gone away. But there is still something unsettling the knee yet, and I can't put my finger on it - so, I defnitely think I just need my OS to take a look before I try any thing more.

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
Hi Allyd,

Good luck with your OS and that appointment. If you keep calling and asking, they should find you a gap before April. You know your knee, and if it feels like something is wrong, it's not asking too much to get it checked out quickly. You've worked hard at your rehab, and your OS should respect your concerns.

Hope you hear soon, and that everything is ok in that knee.

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »
Thanks Brams... In an ideal world, you are completely right. But my doc is always extremely booked, and the short term flexibility in her schedule is pretty much under lock and key. So... we'll just see what happens.

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »
I know! It's never as straightforward as it should be.  ::)

Will keep my fingers crossed you get a response soon. After all, she's your surgeon, so surely she is interested in the results of her work!

All the best,

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline LKnees

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »
People cancel appointments all the time. If you live nearby your OS ask them to call you if and when an appt opens up. Sometimes it's nice to hear a little reassurance!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 03:13:47 AM »
thanks guys. Lack of communication is quite possibly my biggest pet peeve in life. I live by the 24 hour rule. Even if its to say "I'm working on it" or whatever the situation is. So, for those counting, I've called 4 times, left two vmails, one email. We'll see what tomorrow holds.

Lisa, I've been checking for cancellations and they know to call me. We had some bad weather moving in today, and I was secretly hoping there'd be some today - no luck! lol

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 03:16:24 PM »
Success! I think I got someone in trouble too… haha. Is it bad when the first person tor FINALLY respond to me (email)with some simple communication is my OS? But, also just got a call from her nurse (she didn’t seem too happy). They got me in next Tuesday… Now I secretly just hope things don't feel better before then – I’d feel a little stupid then. 

Sorry for my rants on getting an appointment – I easily get soooo frustrated with bad customer service.   

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2012, 03:49:18 PM »
Yay! Never underestimate pester power - sometimes you just have to do it.

Well done. Hope the appointment is positive and they can tell you what's going on - hopefully all is good in there and they can reassure you.

Know what you mean about hoping your knee doesn't decide to have a really good patch just for that....frustrating!

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 09:48:01 PM »
Saw my OS today for my last minute appt/de facto 6 month check up.

- Medial sublux probably wasn’t (or much of one) – more likely I felt/pulled some sutures apart from her lateral lengthening – not a concern, but explains symptoms/event. Will heal up.
- Everything is stable
- For some reason (cartilage wear, overstressed from activity level… etc), this event triggered something, and my knee is angry, inflamed and not settling down well… 
- Gave me three options: continue as is… rx strength NSAIDS… or cortisone. Advised the cortisone, ideal situation for
- Dismissed the meniscus immediately. How did she say it? “why look for a horse when you’re staring at a zebra?” 

We did the cortisone. That ‘little’ shot is highly uncomfortable! Nothing like the doc telling you to “relax” your leg when she has a needle jammed in it! I’m like “right, ok… easier said” - Ok to start biking right away, slowly reincorporate things, but to stay away from impact for the time being. I’m to update her on how I am doing, but as of now don’t need to go back in until my 1 yr mark. So, that’s a fairly telling sign to me she feels things will clear up.

Overall, good appointment… informative… reassuring… and encouraging. It’s much easier to deal with when I have an understanding, and my OS definitely provided that. And the Novocain at the very least has things feeling much better at this moment. Hopefully this allows me to get things going back in the right direction.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:37:48 AM by allyd »

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
Phew. Thank goodness for that.

I'm really glad it wasn't anything awful and that you have the go ahead to cautiously advance again, and that your OS thinks all is basically well in the knee. Would be nice to know what the 'something' is that happened to set off the inflammation etc, but as long as its nothing serious, I bet you are relieved with the whole thing overall!

Ah the joy of the shot in the knee.... Not the time to be told to relax really! When I had my first one, the OS and nurse were getting all the sterilizing stuff ready and positioning my knee, and then the nurse came round to the side and held my hand!!! That rang a few alarm bells! Lol. I had to have sample fluid drawn, then the corticosteroid shot, so that needle was in there for what seemed like a long time!! Only when it was over did I realise I had been super-clenching my buttocks the whole time!  :o  ;D

Glad the pain shot is giving you a quiet evening....

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2012, 01:20:54 AM »
Definitely relieved... still some unanswered questions. I think my OS intentionally left them unanswered. Which is fine. I have better understanding of what happened, and the ensuing reaction/symptoms. Which is what I needed. We did talk at length about what that "something" is. Sparing details, what I took away from it is a combination of: surgery, to much impact activity, known cartilage wear and then the eventful wrong turn in bed. That's my cliff notes version.

Brams - Your experience sounds a little worse! Thankfully they didn't have to draw any fluid... But yeah... definitely don't want to hear from my PT or anyone that I haven't been working my glutes! They were clenched nice and tight! lol.

Offline LKnees

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2012, 04:14:52 AM »
Glad the visit went well. Here's hoping everything goes smoothly now.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 06:54:17 PM »
The cortisone has really helped I think, getting better each day as the soreness from the injection itself wears off. I think this was the right choice for me - definitely some healing and re-strengthening that needs to happen now, but the decrease in swelling has vastly improved everything. SO, back to strength work it is, just starting small… last night: bike 15 min, leg press, and mat work. Probably going to stick to a simple routine like this for a few weeks, and just slowly increasing. As long as I don't go crazy and get ahead of myself - I'm optimistic things will be sorted out by the time the cortisone "wears off"

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2012, 02:32:42 AM »
Well... I've had an interesting week. Knee rehab has officially been sidelined for at least a month. I decided it would be fun to have surgery to remove my gall bladder. Great idea? right? blah. ER wednesday night, surgery Thursday, and now on Friday home and resting fairly comfortably on the couch.

Well, I can't lift anything over 35 lbs for a month, and virtually no core work with this. I will be able to bike, walk, etc. once I'm feeling up to it, so hopefully I can maintain strength. I'm a little concerned at how all this will affect my knee. But it clearly is more important to take care of myself on a whole than worry about losing some strength in my knee. I will probably email my OS when I'm feeling a little better to update her on my new "setback" and see if she has any ideas on what I can do to help maintain. I'm guessing It's one of those things I simply need to wait out.

On another note - the cortisone had seemingly been working like a charm. Now it seems pointless, and I could have just left it as is to rest up and settle down on its own. Such is life though, always throwing curve balls.

support