Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Allyd's MPFL + Lateral Lengtheing - 9/23/11  (Read 22112 times)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Allyd's MPFL + Lateral Lengtheing - 9/23/11
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 04:27:49 AM »
Hey Krunzer, Things do sound similar... IT also seems like every OS beats to thier own drum with Post op protocal. Best to follow thier advice... Not sure how clear I was in my earlier posts, but I too was in an immobilzer for almost 6 weeks, locked straight for 3 weeks - but was able to work ROM during that whole time. Being in shape with good leg strength I believe stopped my quad from shutting down... but it still wasted away, and I now have the long task of getting back in shape. Only the last couple of weeks have I seen some definition in my quad.

Here are some pics. Was kind of fun to dig up and see how far the knee has come in terms of "looks" :) Taken at  about 10 days, 3 weeks, and then just today (12 weeks! yay!)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:29:58 AM by allyd »
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 12:35:50 AM »
4 Months Post Op

Hey everyone, just wanted to gvie a update on how things are going. Tomorrow marks my 4 month anniversary of surgery, and ironically my birthday. Haven't decided which occasion to celebrate yet! :)

Last time I posted, I was just finishing up with PT. After a little miscommunication between me, my OS, and PT was cleared up, My PT got me on a good track to hopefully be cleared to return to sport when I go back to see my OS in April. Right now, I'm working on re-conditioning my knee to impact via jogging, and some controlled jumping exercises... Along with all the continued standard strength, balance and core work. I'm up to a 20 min jog/walk routine (2 min on/3 min off). Keep in mind, I'm not a runner and don't aspire to be - so, my 15min mile is about as good as it's ever gonna get. :)

In the next few weeks I'll start incorporating sprints, and later in february some light lateral movements/conditioninng. Without my PT to keep an eye on me, It's been a challenge to figure out how much I can do, and I've really had to listen to my body - I definitely had some long nights with ice, and had to completely stay out of the gym for a few days, simply because I did more than my knee was ready for. Slow and steady wins the race with these things I have sadly learned to admit.

Overall, the last couple weeks, my knee has really started to feel more normal. Whatever that is. It no longer completely feels like a foreign object. But really, it's less stiff, works more fluidly, and unless I sit in one position to long, I'm not really even conscious of it too much. When I'm in the gym and have it warmed up, it feels great! Can't wait for when it feels that way when I crawl out of bed in the morning... okay, maybe i'm just dreaming there. Additionally, there are the things that are already BETTER than pre-surgery. I am ultimately pain free, (thank you lateral lengthening) and willingly take stairs to experience both the painless journey up, and the stable journey down (thank you MPFLr). I also no longer stare at the 10ft of ground in front of me as I walk. It's amazing to see the world out in front of you as you walk through it.

It's not perfect yet, but for the first time since surgery, I 100% believe that it will actually be stronger and better in time. I'm so thankful to have found my OS, as she put together the perfect surgical plan for my knee and it's working out great.†
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:07:55 AM by allyd »

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 12:49:05 AM »
It seems like such a long time to get thru...the 4 month mark.  Happy Birthday tomorrow!!! 

I get to go to see my OS this Wednesday and will hopefully be cleared to go back to work.  I am a little excited about that.....I kind of miss my job! 

Glad to see you are making great progress.  It is something to look forward to in the future.  I can't imagine myself at your level in another two months.  I just started PT and I have an ROM of about 70 degrees, but it seems like it is going to take forever!! Though I really think I get more ROM everyday.  My VMO has virtually disappeared.  I am doing squats and mini one-legged squats and after about 5 my leg swells up like crazy again then I have a hard time 'normal walking'.....oh hell I am not even close to 'normal walking'. 

I hope you have a fantastic B-day tomorrow!  Celebrate that first, you will have the rest of your life to celebrate your knee!

Birthday wishes your way!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2012, 03:13:48 AM »
yes, 4 months seems like an eternity. Hang in there, as you start feeling stronger things will progres quickly. I've been lucky that I havent had any setbacks really. At two months, there is no way I would have imagined I'd be running at this point. Let's face it, running scared me pre-surgery... With every step forward, I could feel the instability in the knee and prayed it would all hold together as I finished my stride. So, look forward to a lot of progress the next couple of months!

ah yes, the normal walking... I honestly feel violated whenever I walked into my PT or OS's office. Always watching how we walk, I'm thinking "my face is up here!" It's like a guy that can't seem to not look at your chest. My fav once though was when my PT asked "why are you walking like that?" Me: "uhhh, cause i'm lazy" she just looked at me, smiled, shook her head and said "stop it"

Offline LKnees

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:55 PM »
Happy birthday. I think a stable knee is a pretty good gift!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 06:13:50 PM »
WellÖ the setback was bound to hit. This past weekend, I rolled over in my sleep and there was some subluxation going on. Unfortunately, I think it went medially, and not laterally. Although, Iím not certain as I was mostly asleepÖ was wide awake in an instant though. So, Iím just guessing based on symptoms, and the direction/motion *I think* I rolled. Lol. All I know for sure is something shifted fairly prominently.

Itís left me with a flared up knee and something just not feeling right about it Ė more so on the lateral side, kind of just seems like it has a mind of its own again (I still have some numbness in this area from the incisions, so I donít think thatís helping)  I emailed my PTÖ Thankfully sheís honest w/ no BS. She agrees itís a fluke eventÖ although not ideal, and I just need to give it time, ice, rest, etc. and slowly return to my prior activity level. If it persists or I hit a wall to go in and see her or the doc to further assess.

Just disheartening, as at 5 months post-op: everything was going perfect, feeling great, and working EXACTLY like the doc said it would Ė I am struggling to understand why this happened, and slightly concerned I undid some of the surgeons work. But by nature, I also always assume the worst. Hopefully Iíll see some improvement over the next week, otherwise Ė I suppose Iíll bite the bullet and go back and see my PT.

Just venting a bit I suppose.

Offline LKnees

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »
Sorry to hear about your setback. Do you have any trochlear dysplasia or shallow grooves? That could explain subluxing. I don't think you could have done damage just by rolling over. Maybe you can call your doctor just to ease your mind.

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »
Ohhh, I hope you get better soon!  You were doing so well.  I think setbacks are bound to happen but hopefully all is well.  Keep icing and heating and try to keep some ROM going and I really hope you will feel better soon.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 11:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. Something about it just doesn't seem right.... But, The rational side of me says Its just a little flared up and will work itself out. Patience has never been my strong point - I swear, someone should tie me to a couch, as when my knee bothers me, I do more rehab than I would normally - Just to check the knee out... to see if its working yet! lol. great plan right?! I'm forcing myself to stay home and out of the gym for the weekend, so hopefully this will help.

Lisa, yes - trochlear dysplasia was mentioned at my last appt. I already checked with my PT to ease my mind. It didn't help. lol :)  And knowing my PT, my email ended up in the inbox of my doctor. At this point, I'm due back to my OS and PT in about 6 weeks... so if nothing else, I'll get answers then.

Krunzer - thankfully ROM isn't an issue anymore for me. But am headed down to my apt buildings hot tub for a little heat therapy right now! My whole leg is cramped up today for some reason.

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »
Hi Allyd,

I've been following your thread, so just wanted to check in and tell you my fingers are crossed that everything sorts itself out for you, and that this is just a little blip in an otherwise excellent rehab and recovery!

It's so frustrating when things like that happen, particularly in bed!! Should be safe there  ::)... It seems that there's always *something* that goes wrong during a recovery, most resolve themselves without major intervention, and hopefully yours will be the same. You're doing the right thing taking things down a notch for now, and being careful.

All the best,
Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 03:32:37 AM »
It is starting to feel a little better. Not as quickly as I'd like it to, and part of me thinks I'm just overfocused on it. I managed to keep things pretty light over the weekend. Just some basic non-weightbearing work, SLR's and the like. I think I might just make an appointment this week with my PT, just to get me on a good track and over this hump.

The good news in all this? the MPFLr still feels great, stable, and no new aches and pains medially because of this little incident.

Offline jrue7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
Allyd, I have been following diary.  Sorry to hear the 'setback', but sounds like you are recovering good.  Hoping the best for you!

Just little advice:

- Don't expect another setback ... setbacks don't have to happen
- Undertrain slightly ... overtrain and you will almost certainly get injured

Not to say you are overtraining, but it is something that I had chronic habit of doing to myself, and hard to let go and stick to limits.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 04:35:39 PM »
Hey thanks jrue Ė I completely agree with your advice points, and 90% of the time Iíve learned to work with-in limits. Just run into some problems when I have to take a break or make a drastic change to my routine. Old habits die hard.

Even with rest, Iím still getting some sharp pains with certain motions and Iím a little concerned about and donít know how to work through. So, I made a PT appointment for tomorrow. My PT and OS are very good at slowing me down.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 01:08:50 AM »
Just had to keep things interesting... after meeting with my PT and emailing my OS. I have a couple of different theories going on with what is happening. Neither one of them think I'm crazy... So that's good I guess.

MY PT appt at Noon: She did a full eval, and in unrelated breaking news... She thinks I may have a small meniscus tear. yup. I can't wrap my head around this... as it just doesn't add up. But... who knows. Gonna skip all the details, but her reasoning and exam do lead to some truth on this. Her main concern regardless of her assesment is the inflammation I am getting with any type of activity.

Email from my OS (hit my inbox while at PT): With the subluxation, I probably scraped or compressed the cartilage damage I have underneath my Patella. If pain doesn't lessen, to go back and see her in a couple weeks. Suggested a cortisone shot... not crazy about that, or what the thinking behind that is as she didn't give an expound on the topic.

Forwarded OS email to PT so she could wrap it all together for the report to OS: My PT is a waffler! lol. she replied saying she completely agrees with my OS as she didn't realize I had a cartilage defect, and that very likely could be the explanation to some and maybe all of my problems. But could still be the meniscus tear too. Said I should stick w the plan discussed.

My thoughts: I can more easily wrap my head around what my OS is saying, although the cartilage damage isn't that bad. Time will tell.

The Plan: Rest, Ice, NSAIDS. No weight bearing exercise - all mat work, so SLR's, Clam shells, etc. See how it responds. PT says ultimately I need to get back into the OS for an eval and should see if I can move my appointment up. My OS is a scheduling nightmare, so easier said than done. PT assured me that once my OS gets the report, if she wants me in there, they'll make it happen.

That ended up being a longer post than I thought it would be... But that was my day!

Offline LKnees

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 07:18:37 AM »
That's interesting, but maybe a little confusing. Did either one of them have any idea why it might have subluxed?
Definitely a good idea to rest and take it easy for now.