Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fresh Allograft  (Read 13118 times)

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Fresh Allograft
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:16:03 AM »
I am curious what the wait time was for those of you who have had OATS with a  fresh allograft transplant?  My OS said anywhere from 1-6 months.   This will be my fourth surgery in two years and I am just anxious to get it done. Along with the OATS allograft I will have my MCL repaired.  I had a failed Microfracture April 2010, a failed OATS autograft Dec 2010 and the arthroscopy three weeks ago to confirm the fail. Thanks.

One more thing, did anyone have the allograft done arthroscopicly or was it an open procedure.

Jenni
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:17:56 AM by Sam451 »
Nov 09 Torn MCL, Articular Cartilage & Lateral Meniscus
April 10 Microfracture Failed/menisectomy
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
Nov 11 Allograft MCL Recon
Jan 13 Chondroplasty, Lat Release
May 13 TTO/Lat Release
Dec 14 lat retinaculum repair
Nov 15 screw removal tighten lat retinaculum

Offline etrusc0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fresh Allograft
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 05:42:22 AM »
Its an open procedure.

When did you first suspect the autgraft failed?  How many months?

Surgically Oats is not an ACI but make sure your doc is one of the best.

Good Luck on the 2nd pass.  These are big surgeries.
Left Knee
93 - broken femur, damaged cartilage
99, 01 - microfracture
05 - ACI - Patella, Trochlear, MFC (Dr M.)
11 - Osteochondral Allograft MFC (Dr M.)

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »
I suspected it failed about three months after the surgery. I know that's early but having had a prior fail of the microfracture I could tell it was heading the same direction.   I was getting major pain. It was worse after surgery. I now am walking with a cane. I was not prior to the last surgery. My OS just kept saying it was just heLing slow and wouldn't do any diagnostic testing to see if it was healing.

I switched to a new OS after in depth research and he did x-rays and had a bone scan which confirmed the total failure at 7 months out. I had an arthroscopy last month to confirm the damage. Now I am just waiting for the cadaver for a fresh allograft.  I know that this next surgery is going to be a big one. Two incisions due to the MCL repair. My OS has warned me it was going to be tough. I need it to work because my only other option after this is PKR or TKR. Not ready for that as I am only 39.

I was very active prior to this. I am already dealing with the fact that I won't be running the 20-40 miles per week let alone playing the sports I love.

Thanks for your reply!

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline etrusc0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 04:18:47 PM »
I'm in a similar situation.  I had an allograft 6 months ago, ACI 6 years ago and MFX before that - I'm 35.

I also believe I am seeing one of the best docs in the US for Cartilage Repair.

However, I am also feeling like my graft may have failed.  I'll know soon - I'm at the doc today.  I find it promissing that an allograft is an option after a failed Autograft.  I do not want to go the PKR route yet.

Good Luck - I'll post how I make out tonight.
Left Knee
99, 01 - microfracture

Offline etrusc0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 03:56:50 AM »
Not much to report, currently.  OS thought if the graft had failed my knee would be much more swollen.  Plus I am walking normally.  There are things that feel better, but the occasional pain has me worried.  Time will tell, going to wait the 6 more months.   I know more as I increase my activity - going up to the elliptical now.  It's funny I never realized how much I liked running until i couldn't do it anymore.

Let us all know how you make out, IMO there is not enough info on allografts on this forum yet.  There is much more on ACI's.  Which by the way my ACI recovery was 10 times more difficult then the allograft.  If he had not done the High Tibial Osteatomy and another TTO with the allograft I think recovery would not have been bad at all.

-etrusc0
Left Knee
99, 01 - microfracture

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:27:15 AM »
I am glad that your OS thinks things are healing. :) I did not have much swelling either. I think that is one of the reasons the other surgeon wouldn't explore the idea of of it having failed. However, I have always had pain when I walk and it gives away. I will keep posted on the ordeal.
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:11:14 PM »
Hi Jenni

Just wanted to say hello as I'm in a similar position to yours.  I've had 9 surgeries in the last 6 years, ranging from debridements and meniscal trims to ACI and TTT.  I had three ACI grafts done, two on my patella and a huge one on my MFC (pretty much the whole weight-bearing surface).  About 60% of the MFC graft and one of the patellar grafts have failed for some unknown reason (no trauma).  Started with that same old aching pain and effusion, and I just KNEW something was wrong.  It felt like it did before I had my grafts, so I had a scope/MRI/x-rays to confirm, and sure enough - failed.  So I've been waiting for about 3 months now for my donor match.  No news yet, and I was told anywhere between 2 weeks to a YEAR, so I've got my finger crossed it won't take that long.  I was also told by my surgeon's assistant that "these things happen more around holidays" because of travel accidents and (sad but true) suicides.  That's so sad to think about, but I try to tell myself that I have no control over someone else's fate and that I need to be grateful to whoever my donor is but not dwell on it too much or it'll just depress me.  So if it hasn't happened in the next month or so, you might have a better chance when the holidays start rolling around. 

Can I ask how the pain was with the OATS procedure?  I experienced some bone pain with the TTT and it really sucked, but I've heard from others that the allograft/OATS is more painful than the ACI and that I should be prepared for a lot of discomfort. 

I totally hear you on being anxious to get it done - I work in behavioral health and it can be dangerous, so I'm out of work until I'm "fixed" and I have lost my job as a result.  I'm just sick of waiting and being stressed!  It's been hard to accept that I can't run anymore and that I'm most likely going to be very limited in my physical activity, especially since I'm still so young (29).  I have genetically crappy knees - my grandmother and aunt both tarted getting arthritis in their late 20s, and I started having knee problems at about 17.  My right is the "bad" knee because I was kicked by a client at work (see?  Dangerous! :), but my left is starting to feel just like my right when it was starting to get really bad.  My surgeon, Dr. Minas (he's great!  One of the best!) has already told me based on my x-rays that there is thinning in my left knee and he'll probably have t "address that" soon.  *SIGH*  It never seems to end!

Best of luck to you on your wait, surgery, and recovery.  I'm here to talk if you need support, since we're sort of in the same boat!  I plan on doing a post-op diary again with this surgery, so if I get my graft first I'll be sure to share with you how long it took, what it was like, etc.  :)

Offline etrusc0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 04:35:21 PM »
RedLotus - good luck, my graft came though in the spring - motorcycle season is donor season.  Very sad, especially since I ride.

Pain wise the Allograft was nothing compared to the ACI, again had I not had the Osteotomy at the same time it would have been easy compared to the ACI. 

I sit at work and am a programmer, I had the surgery on Tuesday and returned to work the following monday and got my flexion back incredibly fast - 3 weeks I was at 125 degrees.  Compare that with the ACI which I treated much more delicately, 3 weeks to return to sitting at work, months to get the full range back, and even longer until you can walk, I remember 16 weeks on crutches and 5 months before I ditched the cane.

Similar situation to you with Patella, Troch, and MFC on the ACI.  With the Allograft he replaced two parts of the MFC with plugs and one problem he saw on the lateral side.  The  images taken while doing the Allograft really show improvement from prior to the ACI, patella and troch are much much better.  Only the MFC bothers me.  I am still hoping the allograft plugs fix it, but a little pain here and there and I'm already thinking it did not work.  Most frustrating part is the MFC graft was done because he saw a problem, so fix everything while in there ... it never hurt pre-surgery.

I remain active - mostly biking, going to start doing elliptical now, while cross training.  No more running though - with the miracles of modern science - one day.

Jenni - thanks for confirming my suspicion.  I think something is likely going on, but want to increase my activity a bit to confirm.  This may sound dumb, but if I can convince myself that there is definitely an issue - I want it checked out this calendar year while I still have maxed out my insurance contribution for this year.  Plus insurance covers less each year, I'm sure they can't wait till I'm old enough for a replacement.

-etrusc0
Left Knee
99, 01 - microfracture

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 04:39:59 AM »
etrusc0 - not dumb at all. Use the fact that your deductible is paid off :)  I know everyone always asks me why I don't just get a TKR. They don't understand the limits that puts on a person. I know I will have one some day but I want to hold off as long as I can. I work in law enticement and a TKR would mean no more job due to restrictions so crossing my fingers for this last resort. Go with your gut on your issues. I began doubting myself when Dr dismissed my pain but turns out I know my body pretty well :)  Keep me posted.

Redlotus - I can't imagine 9 surgeries by 29. WOW!!  Your perspective on the donor made me feel so much better. It really is so strange wanting to have your surgery but then not wanting someone to pass away so you can have it. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

The oats procedure was not too bad. I took my oxycodone for about two weeks.  I was on it round the clock for about three days and then started backing off and going longer between until the two week mark. I hate taking anything but this kept the pain away and by two weeks it was bearable. Keep in mind my pain never ended as the surgery failed.  I would really like to communicate with you while you recover as I am curious about what goes on start to finish.

I can't believe you have already waited 3 months. My OS said a similar timeline as yours but said the average wait was 2-3 months. Everyday I hope I get the call.
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline exwhaley

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:03:57 PM »
Just happened to check in at this site and had to answer your question about wait time for allograft tissue.  If was the one question I had when I was waiting.  I was listed on or around Febuary 15, 2005 and got the call that they it for me on June 4, 2005 (just short of 4 months).  The call came on a Monday afternoon and I had surgery Wedneday morning.  I had a large isolated lesion on my MFC which occured when I tore my ACL and menicus jumping from a boat to a stationary dock.  I had failed microfracture and was having a lot of pain.  It was the very best thing I have ever done!! I really have had limited issues post allograft.

My one word of advice is be ready.  I thought I was mentally prepared but when the tissue was finally available it really freaked me out.  I had less than 48 hours to get ready to be non weight bearing for 4 we+ weeks post op.

Hope this helps.

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 07:03:39 AM »
Exwhaley - Thanks for your answer. I saw my OS today and he is guessing the surgery should happen within the next four weeks. Of course he doesn't know for sure but his average is two months so fingers crossed. As far as the preparation goes I have had an autograft already so I kind of know what to expect. The biggest difference is going to be that I am having my MCL repaired at the same time so more pain and extra scars lol.  I was on crutches for 16 weeks after my micro fracture and 12 after the autograft. This new OS wants me NWB for 3 weeks and partial for 1-4 weeks. We will see.  :). It is so nice to hear someone say they are having success with their allograft. I am such a skeptic after 3 surgeries that anything is going to work. You helped me to feel more confident in the potential for success. Thanks!!

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:20:39 AM »
Hi Jenni - still waiting for my donor match, so no news there, but I'm more than happy to keep you posted about the process once it happens (unless you get yours first!).  People always ask me why I don't get a replacement, too - I have to explain to them that a replacement isn't permanent and all the risks that go with it, especially in young patients. I feel like I should just print up brochures about all my knee issues and carry them in my purse: "TKR - Why It's Not For Me" "Allografts: What YOU Need to Know!" "Osteoarthritis: When Good Cartilage Goes bad!"   ;D  It'd be easier than explaining it all over and over again! 

Glad my perspective on donors was helpful - I've given it quite a lot of thought.  The other thing that I find helpful is the fact that I am an organ donor (in addition to being on the national bone marrow registry) and I know that personally, as an organ donor, I would really WANT some good to come out of my passing (if the worst were to happen).  The idea of someone's life being saved or improved because of me is one that I find comforting and positive, so I just have to assume that anyone who checked off that donor box on their forms would feel the same way and would be glad that some positive was coming out of tragedy.  I hope that helps, too. 

etrusc0 - Thanks for the info on the pain - I seem to get such conflicting reports from different people - some say it was easy compared to the ACI and I've heard from others that it was worse.  I imagine some of it is personal tolerance and reactions, graft size, etc.  I suppose I'll just have to wait and see!

I'll keep you posted, and here's hoping we both have timely and successful surgeries. :)

Offline etrusc0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
ExWhaley - I echo Jenni statement it is good to hear from someone who has had success with thier graft.  Most people that come here tend to not post once things start going well.  What is your activity level and age, if you don't mind me asking.  Can you run?

RedLotus - I agree that everyone has different pain tolerences.  I think I had just as much done both times.  After the ACI I didn't think I could ever go though that again.  Maybe with the new Matrix version but it was very difficult and a long road to recovery.  In 6 months I feel like I am to the same place it took almost 2 years to get to with my ACI.  Again skipping the osteotomy next time and I think pain would be very bearable.

-Mark
Left Knee
99, 01 - microfracture

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 04:40:59 AM »
Hi guys, I feel like I fit right in with y'all. I had a microfracture done Oct 2010 that was determined to have failed May 2011. I've a 1.2cm hole in my MFC at this point. I just started a new job about 4 months ago, so I can't take 3-4 months off for an OATS that my OS wants to do to try and fill in the defect. I don't have the FMLA job protections either, which don't kick in until you've been in a job for a year (US law).

Since the microfracture failed, my question I've yet to get an answer to is what is the likelihood of an OATS autograft - my OS's intended plan to fix the defect - failing as well? If OATS were to fail as well.... then as far as I know, then there's nothing left to do but a TKR, as I've heavy damage patellofemorally as well as medially - and I just started in on my lateral compartment this latest injury July 2010, and I'm gonna be 40 in 2 months.

By the time I get the FMLA protections and pass the probationary period for my job, there's also a chance the defect will have passed the point where they can even do OATS, given it's size now, and that it's in the middle of the weightbearing zone of the MFC. So, not much I can do meanwhile but live in my unloader brace and live on painkillers and other pain control methods, and wait. I changed jobs 4 months ago for a number of reasons, one of which was that it was killing my knee, I was on permanent work restrictions and was taking 3 times the painkillers I take now with my current job, and my knee condition has been the same since my last surgery a year ago this wednesday.

If y'all can think of any options... lets hear them, but I think I'm out of them... seems to me I've reached the point that it's about TKR time, as all I wanna do is walk without eating painkillers, and they're supposed to have some implants that are supposed to last 30 yrs now... lets get an implant to last the next 15... and I'll deal with replacing it then... the way tech advances maybe they can grow me a new knee by then!
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline KSTL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 10:57:15 PM »
I fit in as well.  I had my first microfracture April 2010 which failed.  Had synthetic plug in Sept. 2010 but it also failed.  Had fresh allograft put in at the end of Aug of about a nickel.  I had to wait for 3 weeks for a match.  I had a day notice.  I will not do this again.  The surgeon said it went well but still having a lot of pain.

I know you need to wait for FMLA job protection.  I know how you feel.  I lost my job because of all of this.  I went to the surgeon yesterday and still have 2 more weeks no weight even though it has been 6 weeks.  He thinks it will be a month to relearn how to walk.  My OATS is in the middle of the weightbearing zone so I know you pain.  I held out a year so I know you can make it before surgery.  I would then get it done.  I did not understand why they did not replace the knee because I will be 40 next May.  They said I was to young.  I feel your pain.