Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fresh Allograft  (Read 13076 times)

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Fresh Allograft
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 12:32:11 AM »
My OS plans to use autografting, but would probably end up needing multiple plugs, and if the hole's too big, obviously can't do that if he needs too big a plug.

My thought is this... if I'm bound for a TKR anyhow, and I've already had one failed attempt to get my body to mend the hole - whats the REVISED chances of a graft healing after one failed procedure already, and why go through months of hassle just to be disappointed and be told it failed too... then be told they want to try something else, and more months of misery.... when I could be back on my feet in 8 weeks after a TKR and be done with optimal outcome?

How much agony and repeated failed surgeries is one supposed to put up with?
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 01:11:18 AM »
DM.
My husband and I have asked my new surgeon numerous times about TKR. I will be 40 next month and he wants to try this one last option before that. If I have a TKR I will lose my job as the restrictions would prohibit my return so I am praying this one works.

KSTL
I feel your pain. Our timelines are very close. Microfracture April 2010 failed. OATS Autograft Dec 2010 failed. Just waiting on fresh allograft. Why do you say you would not do this again?

Good luck to both of you.

Jenni
Nov 09 Torn MCL, Articular Cartilage & Lateral Meniscus
April 10 Microfracture Failed/menisectomy
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
Nov 11 Allograft MCL Recon
Jan 13 Chondroplasty, Lat Release
May 13 TTO/Lat Release
Dec 14 lat retinaculum repair
Nov 15 screw removal tighten lat retinaculum

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 04:52:48 PM »
Got the call this morning - I've got a match!  Surgery the 18th (which is a lot more warning than I thought I'd get!).  I'll keep everyone posted on the process and outcome.  So nervous I puked after I hung up the phone LOL - you'd think after 9 other surgeries this would be nothing, but I guess pre-surgery jitters are normal.  I have to go from AZ to MA for the surgery, so lots to get ready before I go. 

DM - I know how you feel - I've asked Dr. Minas about TKR many times before, but at 29 he simply won't do it.  I know rationally that TKRs in younger more active patients tend to fail quicker and have more complications, but it's hard not to want to just do it anyway when you're staring down the barrel of surgery # 10. :(  All I can saw is hang in there - I know it sucks, but a TKR can't be undone once it's done and once you go down that road you're committed for better or worse. 

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 05:14:14 PM »
I'll be 40 in 2 months.... all I want is to not have to deal with every step in pain, or to face surgery after surgery with months long recoveries, feeling like I'm just a hostage to my knee, and them being reluctant to take the approach most likely to give me an outcome that gives me the ability to earn an income and take care of myself and not be a cripple. They don't seem to take into account that employers don't care that you can't work for months after some of these surgeries, and how are you supposed to pay your bills? Most of us live paycheck to paycheck these days, and are lucky to have health insurance, and if we can get insurance to pay for the surgery, still end up with hefty bills. Repeat surgeries are a job killer...
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline etrusc0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 05:48:12 AM »
RedLotus - the 18th, that is a lot of time. I had one week.  Months of mental preparation knowing the moment is right around the corner and I still found myself less prepared than for a scheduled surgery.  Good Luck.  I know I've said this before but the Allograft is easier than ACI to go through.  And if Dr. M skips the Osteotomy then you just have to wait to the bone heals - 12 weeks max.  My ROM came back super fast, I think at week 2 I had 110 deg and started on the bike with no resistance. 

DM - there has got to be better options for you then a TKR, that is my last resort.  They can only do a knee replacement so many times and if it felt good - I'm pretty sure I would kill it fast.  I am fortunate to do most of my work from a sitting position so having multiple surgeries has not put me out much.   What else have you explored for pain - synvisc maybe - some people say it helps a lot.  I'm surprised by so many mfx failures - were you on a CPM right after your mfx surgery - Dr. Steadman (world renown for working on athletes) mostly does mfx with lots of success.  Lots of motion afterwards and a committed rehab program.  My mfx helped for a little while, but I did not get a lot of post op instructions and no CPM.  I was just told to move it a lot.  I do agree with your sentiment many of us here have had multiple surgeries still searching for relief and why not just fast forward to the TKR that is coming some day.  I hope you find something that works for you.
Left Knee
93 - broken femur, damaged cartilage
99, 01 - microfracture
05 - ACI - Patella, Trochlear, MFC (Dr M.)
11 - Osteochondral Allograft MFC (Dr M.)

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 09:24:43 AM »
all the time in the world spent in a cpm wont matter a bit if the bone wont fill in and heal, which happened to me. I had school,etc, so even though I was nwb, i still moved it all the time. Plus it stiffened up if I didn't.

Offline KSTL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »
Jenni:  I would not do this again because of the pain and the mental that goes along with it.  For the last 16 months I have been on crutches for almost 12 months.  I lost my job because of the time.  The rehab alone is intensive and after the third surgery I feel I am right back to where I began.  I'm still in pain, popping all of the time and I am not walking yet.  Our family life has basically stopped.  I have 3 children and a husband so I feel I have missed so much during this time.  I feel they also have missed out. 

Offline etrusc0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
RedLotus - You have one of the best Doc's in the world for Cartilage Repair.  Since going to Dr. M I have continually felt like I have a good chance at remaining very active.  I have 2 kids as well and for a few weeks it is more straining on my wife.  I am very active 6 months post op - just can't run.  I look forward to hearing how you make out.  One cool thing was seeing the growth of cartilage on my patella and troch groove from the ACI - pre to post is from 0 coverage to almost normal.  After Tim gives you your pics let me know how they look.  Again good luck with the recovery.

There are only 6 or 7 docs in the US we people with serious cartilage problems should be going to.  A normal orthopedic surgeon just won't do.  I ended up at Dr. M by asking my orthopedic surgeon how many ACI's has he done - I never got a straight answer, so I asked for a second opinion and I said send me to someone good - even if they are not close.

-etrusc0
Left Knee
99, 01 - microfracture

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »
Redlotus - congrats on getting a date. I am still waiting. Keep us posted on how everything goes.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline etrusc0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Fresh Allograft?
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 06:47:45 AM »
Redlotus - how did the first few days go?
Left Knee
99, 01 - microfracture

Offline beansmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 09:12:21 PM »
I had two OATS grafts done in Nov 2010.  Around Apr 2011 (when my doctor had to perform an additional microfracture on my kneecap), it was discovered that one of the two (which was the smaller) grafts had failed.  In July, I had a partial knee replacement to replace the failed graft.

I continued to complain to my doc about pain, which I've been doing since my original problem developed in Aug 2010.  He kept telling me to "give it time".  Finally, I went to another orthopedist, who immediately diagnosed that the other bigger graft had *never* taken, and now I have avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis = bone death) that has spread even further than the original injury and the pain is far worse than it was originally, too. He surmises that I was originally given unviable donor material.  Unfortunately for me, this means that I have to get a revision = total knee replacement in a couple of weeks.

Give the intense pain and very long recovery from the OATS done last Nov, I NEVER would have gotten this done and would have gone to a straight knee replacement.  My life has been a living hell for over two years, and after the next surgery and recovery, I'll be looking at 1.5 years of constant knee pain.  This will be my 6th surgery in 16 months.

My advice - don't bother with OATS - go straight to replacement.  It's not worth the "risk" of hoping the grafts will take. 

Best of luck.

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »
I got the call this morning and I and happy to announce I have a date for my surgery. Nov 28th. I am very happy to finally be moving forward in this whole process. It took three months to get the call. Not too bad.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline etrusc0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 07:56:34 PM »
Congratulations and Good Luck.

I remember being excited for about 10 minutes before getting nervous because I felt unprepared.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Left Knee
99, 01 - microfracture

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »
Etrusc0-how true that is lol. I have had an autograft so I am not as nervous but yes, as the excitement is wearing off the mind is busy figuring out what needs to be done in preperation. Thankfully because of the holiday they gave me a week and a half notice because they just couldn't get me in sooner. More timen to get things done lol.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline GSB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »
Does anyone know good surgeons in LA, other than Mandelbaum, for OATS procedure?

support