Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I was told I have a bone spur  (Read 1796 times)

Offline pattifaler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I was told I have a bone spur
« on: September 16, 2011, 05:27:29 AM »
I was told in the beginning of the week, that I have a bone spur. I have osteoarthritis in both knees. But, my right knee is very painful. I get a stabing pain and throbing during the mornings and sometime at night.  I have bee trying everything for the pain.. I have to wait until Oct. 5 until I see the surgen. And, I'm not sure if he wants to do a scrapping of the spur or a knee replacement. I am sooo scarred. What can i do until I see him?? Can someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!  Some day's I feel like going to the ER. The pain is that bad.. Thank you..

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: I was told I have a bone spur
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
Hi pattifaler, sorry you're having such a rough time with your bone spur.

I would get in touch with your surgeon ASAP - once you are a patient they normally respond pretty quickly. You can ring your surgeons secretary and ask her about it and she will pass the query on. If you are waiting another 2+ weeks before seeing him and are in that much pain then you need help with it. He may be able to prescribe something more effective. Failing that go to your GP and he can look at your pain meds.

Hope you get some help with it soon. Is your knee OA throughout the joint and have you had it for a long while? I'm no expert, but TKR is a big decision and I would think your OS would be more likely to just remove the spur unless you have a long history and the OA is very advanced.

Have a search through some of the relevant areas of the site or search with 'bone spur'. There will be other KGs who have or have had a similar problem and it may have been asked about before. There's loads of info on here, but I'd definitely contact your OS for some help and info.

Good luck.

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline pattifaler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:36:41 AM »
Thank you Brambledog for your help. I was told that the OA is very advanced. I found out about 1 1/1
ago that I had OA. I don't understand why it had become this bad in such a short time.. The surgeon is talking about TKR. I have very little cartledge in my right knee. I've called several times to get an early appt to see him.. The only thing he gave me for pain is Voltarin.(I hope I spelled the right)  I hope he can just clean it out or remove the spur. My GP knows about my sittuation. He is the one who made me the appt to see this doctor for my knee. I do thank you for your advice.  :)

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:27:16 AM »
I think half the problem of diagnosing OA (correct me if im wrong please KGs!) is that as i understand it the cartilage goes softer and spongy to start with (chondromalacia) getting gradually worse before you start on the actual visible wear on the surface (the cracks and seaweed fronds of cartilage actually breaking up) which is when it becomes arthritis. Some people have the pain and investigations which lead to the discovery earlier than others. Your knee may have coped well in the early stages and you were unaware of it, so that by the time it was discovered it was already quite bad. Also, everyone is different. I read a study on OA the other week that talked about how they are looking into why some people's cartilage is more durable than others, whether there's a genetic component to it, etc. There's no rhyme or reason to this kind of stuff, and it's very unfair when your life changes so fast.

If your OS is talking about TKR it will be for a reason, but do ask him lots of questions about his decision. Depending on your age, If you have significant bone-on-bone then it may be the best way forward. Try not to panic too much (easy for me to say!) and maybe try reading up on some of the TKR threads, especially in the post-op sections. It's a big op, but for many people it gives them their life back. They may still have some restrictions and discomfort afterwards (and any op can have complications) but the debilitating pain of the OA is relieved. If your OS seems at all unsure about the decision then make him talk it through with you and do some research of your own before committing to the surgery.

I would still maybe call your GP if you're not coping with the pain. There are more pain management options, and even a day in bad pain is a long old time...

Take care and keep in touch.

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline pattifaler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 05:06:12 AM »
BrambleDog,

Thank you soo much!!! You helped me alot!!! i am still waiting for my appt. I've called several times
to my OS. They still can't see me until Oct 5. My GP told me to take the meds that my OS gave me. So, I guess I just have to wait. The meds they put me on, (besides getting the shots every 3 months) is Voltaran. (Hope I spelled the correctly) I appreciate all the help.  Thank you ..

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 09:14:35 AM »
Hi pattifaler,

Sorry your OS can't see you earlier, but 5th October isn't too far off now. Hang on in there!

When you do get to see him, don't let him fob you off or rush through the appointment (we've all had experience of that at some point). Take in a list of questions and make sure you ask every one. You could always try recording him on your mobile if you think you might have trouble remembering everything! They are always busy people, but when appointments are so rare and brief, you've got to make the most of the time you have with him, so don't feel guilty.

Hope you're coping with it all ok today. I'll have my fingers crossed for the fifth - keep in touch and good luck.

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline pattifaler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: had my surgery
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 05:17:45 AM »
Hi everyone. I had my surgery on the 13th. (Thank God it was on a Thursday)  The doctor cleaned out the cartledge, and I had a few bone spurs.  So, I am going on my 6th day from surgery. I have been having A LOT of carcking and popping in that knee. And, it feels like it gets stuck. It is very painful when I get that stuck feeling. I'm still on the pain meds. I am only using 1 crutch if I go out to the store or something like that.  Would like to know IF ANYONE ELSE HAS OR HAD THIS PROBLEM???  And, should I be worried??  After surgery the doctor spoke to my husband (who was in the waiting room) And, told him that the procedure he had done might make my knee worse (asteoarthritis) Or, it could of helped and last for 2 or 4 or maybe a year without sever pain. So, I have to think about knee replacement..

I would like to know if anyone has had this problem after surgery, popping and cracking. With pain. It feels as if my knee is stuck when I bend it.. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!   

thanks you,

Patti Faler

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:52:01 AM »
Hi Patti,

I haven't had bone spur problems myself, so I can't advise on them I'm afraid, although someone will. Have a look through the site for bone spurs using the search box and maybe try posting in a different forum as well as this one.

I can completely relate to your all-too-fast life changes though, and I'm still in the stage of daily mourning for the active things I haven't been able to do for a year. Sitting around on pain meds was never what I envisaged! Hopefully one day soon I'll get some of that back, but now I feel sort of stuck. It's frustrating and I completely understand how you feel.

In terms of your surgery you've had, the cartilage cleaning all depends how much you have left in there and how much is bone-on-bone. The cracking and popping may be related to the catching of the jagged bits, but I'm not sure in your case. I get some sticking as well and i think its due to the jagged back of my kneecap getting caught on the jagged bits in my femoral groove! All you can do right now is recover as much as possible and research like mad. Try not to get too hung up on all the bad stories, but do get as much info as you can.

I understand your worry about what your OS said to your husband. No-one wants to be told that surgery may have made it worse. Try to stay positive and see this as another step on the road to getting relief from your pain one way or another. He said you may get that relief (for a while) from what he's done this time, but obviously the pain from the actual surgery will be there to start with. Just keep up with your pain meds and keep in contact with your GP, especially if the pain is severe. If you don't feel the meds you have are enough then keep telling him you need something stronger until he gives you it.

After your surgery you should have an appointment with your OS for follow-up pretty quickly. If for some reason you don't have one scheduled then ring and ask for one ASAP - you need to be able to talk to him and have things explained to you personally and not just through your husband. You need to talk to him about this sticking and popping, and your worries about recovery and the possibility of more surgery if this doesn't work.

Depending on all the above, if you are not happy with how things have been handled then maybe consider seeing another OS. You sound so unsure and as though you just aren't being given enough information and reassurance.

Keep in contact on here and let us know how you're doing. I'll be thinking of you!

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline pattifaler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 04:35:59 AM »
Thanks you Brambledog,
     I do have an appointment to see my OS.. he has to take out my staples. I woke up several times last night (again) from that pain I am having. It feels like something is stuck or jammed. I am soo worried about a knee replacement. The way my knee's are before and after the surgery, I can just tell there's not much cartledge left.. But, when I see him on the 25th, he told me that he will show me pic's he took during the surgery, Thank you once again for your advice  :)