Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteotomy and screw removal  (Read 10357 times)

Offline Allison

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Osteotomy and screw removal
« on: July 23, 2002, 06:59:21 AM »
I had a high tibial osteotomy in 1996. It took years to actually make it through a day without pain. I have just had the best year ever since the surgery. Now suddenly the pain is back :'(
Does anyone have experience with long term after an osteotomy? Also, do you think the pain could be caused by the screws?
I was a professional ballet dancer, who was dropped from an overhead lift. I can no longer dance at that level but I continue to stay in shape and am really fit. Another surgery is daunting. I have three little girls who need a walking mom. (my husband travels out of town for his job)
What does screw removal involve and what is recovery like?
I'd love to get some advice....if you have had an osteotomy and how you are doing.
Many Thanks!!!! ;D
Lateral release 1983
Arthroscopic  to diagnose problem1995
high tibial osteotomy 1996 due to osteonecrosis

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
  • LK - Partial M &amp; L Menisectomy; Loose Body Removal
Re: Osteotomy and screw removal
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 07:03:25 AM »
Allison:

Talk to Woosan.  She recently went through a screw removal, and I don't think she had any problems.  Check out the posts on the old board, or send her a message through her.

Khaoskat

Offline Allison

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 07:06:03 AM »
Khaoskat
Thanks for the fast reply!!I am new to this site and so happy to have found it. I am just so tired of hurting and it really helps to have support.
Allison
Lateral release 1983

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 07:16:08 AM »
Allison,

I had a Fulkerson Osteotomy a version of a TTT. Ihad 2 screws in my tibia. I had the 2 of them removed a little over a year ago and the surgery itself was about 15 minutes. As a precaution my Dr had me use crutches for a week but it was not a bad surgery at all .

I hope this helps!

Cari :)
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline Allison

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 07:19:48 AM »
Cari
THANK YOU!! I have been afraid to even see my OS! This sounds like something I can handle!!
Perhaps make an appointment tomorrow!!! Do you think the fact that I had the procedure 6 years ago will make it harder??
Thanks, Allison :D
Lateral release 1983

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 07:28:39 AM »
Allison,

Go ahead and make an appointment with the OS..you dont have to have the surgery if you don't want to. Sometimes it is a little harder to get the screws out after a year but the surgery should still be quite simple !!

Let me know what you decide.

Bed time for me !

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline Allison

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 07:34:02 AM »
Cari
Wow it is late for you!!! I am in California so I have a few hours to go! Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what happens!
Allison ;)
Lateral release 1983

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2002, 05:14:50 AM »
Allison,

Did you call your OS to make your appointment.  I meant to ask you ..where is your pain??

Cari

Offline Allison

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2002, 08:11:38 AM »
Hi Cari
I haven't called my OS yet. We are leaving on vacation for two weeks on Sunday...so I think I'll have to see him after that.
The pain is on the outer side of my knee. Also, when I work out and then finish working out and keep my leg still, it really aches all over and kind of locks up. By evening it is swollen and hurts to stand. However I have three girls 2, 7, and 9 so I never really do sit down. My husband travels Sunday through Thursday which doesn't give me much of a break.
I am also more than a little obsessed with working out.(even if it does hurt). I hate to give it up. It doesn't hurt too much when I am working out...only if I land on it funny. It is strong and doesn't "give out" on me...which is what it did prior to the osteotomy.
I WILL call the OS tomorrow. It won't "hurt" to have him look :o at it.
Thanks!!! Allison
Lateral release 1983

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2002, 04:51:02 AM »
Allison,

I just wonder if for some reason your knee is just irritated!!!! I work out regularly and always did excpet during PT cause that was my workout ! I worked too hard to get my knee strong to mess it up again. I am thinking perhaps something is rubbing wrong and when your knee gets heated up it gets worse!   Just athought!

Anyway let me know about the OS..

Cari

Offline Deborah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2002, 05:16:37 AM »
Allison,

if your screws are bothering you, by all means have them removed.  I had a Classic Maquet-type TTT with the iliac crest bone graft placed beteen a surgical fracture fron the tibial tubercle six inches down the tibia ... kind of a bone sandwich, and the bone had to fill in above and below.

My scres were slightly tender, but i wouldn't have had them out if i wasn't already having a surgery (patellar arthroplasty in which the underside of the patella is replaced).  If you have only the screw removed, it' generally easy, but mine would have been difficult if done alone because so much bone had grown over them that my OS had a ifficult time finding them and actually had to make another incision to get them out.

the bottom line is, i never felt pain from the screw removal; the pain i endured was all from the patella resurfacing, and if the screws are bothering you, get them removed.  You'll probably be sore for a coupke of days, but nothing terrible.

Good luck!

Manip arthro adhes 1/02; TKR 10/01; vmo rep, med reef, chondro, LR 11/00; pat resurf LR 2/00; arth let meisc (80%)1/99; TTT, chondro 8/98; LR(open), med menisc, chondro 6/97; arth med men, OCD les rem

Offline Allison

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2002, 09:56:15 AM »
I'm starting to wonder if it is the screws.....why after six years would they suddenly start hurting??????What kind of pain do the screws cause?
Perhaps I am just hoping it will be something easy. It took so long to get back on my feet........I really don't want to"give in" to any more pain.UGH :-[ I have always been one never to admit when things are hurting. However, carrying my 2 year old around is starting to be too much for me.
I leave on Sunday for vacation.I've called my usually wonderful OS but no one has returned my messages.
Maybe they are on vacation??
« Last Edit: July 26, 2002, 09:58:13 AM by Allison »
Lateral release 1983

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
  • LK - Partial M &amp; L Menisectomy; Loose Body Removal
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2002, 07:49:35 AM »
Allison:

I think Woosan walked out of the hospital without crutches after a screw removal.  Additionally, I think she was back to running within a few days.

E-mail or send a message to Woosan.  She, I think, had a good experience with her screw removal.

Khaoskat