Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: post partial menisectomy - issues....  (Read 1080 times)

Offline marsbar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
post partial menisectomy - issues....
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
 ???

Hi all

I had a partial menisectomy for a complete tear in which about 30% of the cartlage was removed just over 3 months back. This was after many years of severe locking and clunking (and further to a arthroscopy about 10 years back. )

My consultant advised me post op that as well as the knee wear and arthritis caused by the tear that I had Softening of the cartlage under the kneecap and maybe some tracking issues. He also said that they severe locking I had may or may not be as a result of the tear and that the surgery may not improve the state of play although he was 80% sure!

My physio referral was slow (about 3 weeks) and in the last 8 weeks or so I have a 'popping/clicking' when I straighten my leg and a lot of resistance to the last few degrees when straightening - its a bit 'springy'. Because of this I am still limping and the clicking is audible when I walk. Its not painful and the sound coming from it is not at all like the sound before surgery. My Physio has referrred me back to the consultant in view of these issues and I wanted to know...

have any of you had similar issues?
Could the clicking be a result of muscle loss (quads are diminsihed)
Any ideas to help my recovery?

I am swimming (albeit a bit lopsided) regularly and trying to get back to excercise as it is my life!

Thanks for all your help

Marsbar