Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anesthesia Options For Knee Surgery?  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Chad756

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anesthesia Options For Knee Surgery?
« on: September 09, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »
Hi My name is connor and im new to the thread

im talking to my surgeon on tuesday to see what is going to be done on my knee, im young and had a ski accident (im 16) and now have a small osteochondral defect and a medium-large one both on my right knee, my first doctor said it will likely be athroscopic through microfracture first and then if that fails theyll will move on to the oats procedure.

im terrified of anesthesia and woke up in the middle of my appendix surgery last time during general anesthesia and i was paralyzed, eventually going back to sleep

is there any way i can steer clear of general anesthesia this time for my knee surgery> it will most likely be microfrature or oats. (this is my first surgery on my knee). i really want to avoid general and really would like to have a spinal anesthesia with sedative or local with nerve block if possible?

has anyone had this before? do i have options? thank you for your time

Offline Sazmo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Anesthesia Options For Knee Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:38:30 AM »
Hi Connor

I'm sure there are others on here with a much better insight than me as I'm going for my first knee surgery this week, but can understand your fear of general as the last twice I've had a general I woke up just as they'd finished which the docs were shocked about, as I was supposed to have been given enough to keep me under for at least another hour.

The best thing to do is to discuss your options with your surgeon when you see him this week and make sure he understands what happened and your preference to have a block.

Hope everything goes well for you

Sarah

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:00:53 PM »
Hi Conner,

No wonder you are reluctant to have a general anesthesia after the last incident you went through. The experience you went through during your appendix removal surgery should never happened in the 1st place and is medical negligence, It is the anesthetist job to make sure you remain fully asleep until the surgery is over.

You could have a epidural so you remain awake but with the surgery you are having done on your knee would go for a general anesthesia. I am sure it will never happen again waking up in the midddle of surgery and enough to put anyone off having surgery again after what you have been through.

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
Hi Connor,

There are several different options for anesthesia.  Obviously, you could go the general route.  You could also have a spinal with sedation.  That can be used with your type of knee surgery. You would be sedated, but not require the breathing tube or paralytic agents.  When you are sedated, they put the needle in your back, and you would not feel your legs.  The medication that they use to make you sleepy also usually makes you forget.  The upside for this would be that if you woke up, you would not feel any pain, and you would not be paralyzed.  The anesthesiologist would know that you were too alert, and give you more medication.

You need to discuss your options with your surgeon, and ultimately the anesthesiologist.  Most of the drugs that they use are weight based, so make sure you give them an accurate weight pre op!  Good Luck!

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 03:29:33 PM »
Hi Conner, I've been a victim of anesthesia oops myself, although for different reasons. Had an epidural for my knee surgery which sent my body into spinal shock. (It's really bad when you get to hear the anesthesiologist say -oh that wasn't supposed to happen= isn't it?) That sedation thing? I'm one of the 2% who has the exact opposite reaction. Every second engraved on my memory forever and so wired I could have hung from the ceiling by my fingernails.
You might want to insist on a local in conjuction with anything else they give you, so you can avoid the pain if things go wonky.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 03:53:35 PM »
Connor,

I see that you are 16 years old!  I would suggest that you have one of your parents discuss different anaesthesia options with the anaesthesiologist.  There are risks with any method.  Some are quite rare.  It would also be worth while to see if they have any insight as to why your sedation was not adequate during your last procedure. 

Don't rule out any one particular method until you and your parents have all of the necessary information.

W

Offline Chad756

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:12:05 AM »
Thanks to everyone who responded, im talking to the surgeon on tuesday so ill ask then, i would like to be awake, so maybe spinal with just a little sedation to keep me calm , but not enough to knock me out. Is this possible?

Best regards.

Connor

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 12:32:27 AM »
Connor,

What you are talking about used to be called IV conscious sedation.  The good thing is that you are for the most part asleep, but you do not require the breathing tube.  You are closely monitored with regards to your level of "sleepiness" and your ability to breath.  A few of the drugs that they use for this are Versed and Propofol.  Each anaestheiologist will have their preference with regards to this.   Both of them have the side effect of making you forget.  So, even if you are slightly awake, you hopefully won't remember a thing.

Good luck with your visit with your surgeon, and I am sure when you know all of the facts that you will make the best decision for you.

W

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 01:30:18 AM »
I've had 5 procedures--the first 4 under general and the last with spinal and sedation. I really really prefer the spinal with sedation. Waking up after the spinal/sedation was much more calm and gentle for me than the general. Pain was better as well. I can't imagine waking up during surgery. I think you definitely have good reason to have a long talk with your OS and anesthesiologist about the anesthesia you'll be given. Good luck on Tuesday.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline Chad756

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 10:55:06 PM »
Hey thanks to everyone who helped

I talked to the surgeon and hes likes microfrwcture so im going with that first, and hes said i couod choose the anesthesia and maybe even watch it on the monitior

Anyway the surgerys not for 5-6 months so im gonna try and get my mind off of it for now, and worry about doing good in school

Thanks again, especially emergn, for your time

Kind regards

Connor

support