Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I'm back :(  (Read 1035 times)

Offline codabugg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
I'm back :(
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »
I frequented this board about 8 years ago after my knee surgery and have forgot about this place after moving halfway across the country. A little history: I had surgery in August 2003 - meninscetomy, chondroplasty, lateral release. Knee pain got worse after surgery and 2nd opinion doc discovered I had miserable malalignment syndrome. I moved from CO to TN to be closer to family should I decide to have surgery to "correct" it. None of the docs here in TN even knew what MMS was at that time, so I gave up and just dealt with the pain.

In 2008, I started having severe back pain. After seeing numerous docs, finally discovered 2 completely herniated discs last November and had a lumbar laminectomy with fusion in December. Nonstop probs ever since then. Went for a 2nd opinion today and the doc was such an a$$ that I wanted to kick him!

In May (this year) I was bitten by a brown recluse and put on levaquin. I didn't do enough research before taking it. BIG mistake! On day 5 of a 10 day prescription, I stopped taking it because of achilles and knee pain. The achilles pain recently subsided, but the knee pain has continued to get worse. I had  an MRI on Tuesday and the doc says my tendons are severely inflamed and I may have a cartilage tear. He said that because of my previous surgery on that knee, he isn't positive about the tear (I guess the scar tissue keeps from allowing a clear view), but he strongly suspects it. He recommended arthroscopic surgery. I'm not sure if I want to go through surgery for a "possible" tear. OTOH, I've been out  of work for 17 months and COBRA expires at the end of the month...trying to find an individual plan (under HIPAA guaranteed issue), but that's about as painful as my knee and back! I've applied for disability, as I have a multitude of other problems, but it's a long process!

I'm so tired of being in pain.   :'(

Brooke

Offline blusky_1

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • My Webshots Albums
Re: I'm back :(
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »
Well, crap! I just realized I have two accounts on here...wondered why it showed I only had a few posts, when I knew I was active on here several years back! The post above (codabugg) was me. *sigh*

Brooke
Arthroscopy 8/8/03 - partial meniscectomy (x2), chondroplasty, lateral release (failed). 1/04 - dx with "miserable alignment". 11/04 - dx patella baja.

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
Hi Brooke,

That is a pretty crappy few years you've had to deal with. I don't have much idea of your specific knee trouble, so I'm not even going to try to give you any advice, but I can understand and sympathise with your pain issues. I've only had my knee pain since November 2010 (but it's driving me insane anyway), but Ive got degenerative disc issues in my lumbar and cervical spine and have had varying degrees of back pain for years, although nothing to compare with 2 herniated discs and the associated operation. I had an arthroscopy just over a month ago to find out what was wrong with my knee after 6 months of wrong guesses from various docs, and at last got a diagnosis, but also a long-term issue to face up to.

It's such a frustration and makes everything worse when you spend so long trying to get the right answers, and actually finding someone to properly treat your problems. I hope you have more luck with your current doc, sounds like he's a bit more on the case.

Take care of yourself and keep fighting for decent treatment. Hope things improve very soon and you can get some more effective pain relief.

;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:03:14 PM »
Hey Brooke !

I added you on Yahoo Mess as Nettan(troubletwin).

To be honest, I don't think the pain will get better nor the knee unless you do something to it.
A scope might take you into a long recovery period if your knee is inflammed. But at same time maybe some of the "junk" can be sorted out.
So I hope you can get going and have it. In my opinion, I would do it.
My scope on my right knee that I had in 2007 took 18 months to recover from. Sad is that I am back to scratch again, but not as bad as before surgery.
Now my left knee where I have RSD/CRPS started to mess around more and more...and is falling apart on my lateral side. But I do need to avoid any kind of surgery as my RSD/CRPS has spread. So as I'm going for a brace as I'm fulltime wheeler.

Well all for now, take care and go for it !/Nettan
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline blusky_1

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • My Webshots Albums
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 03:44:45 AM »
Nettan!  :)

I discussed everything with my mother today. I'm going to call the OS tomorrow and see if we can discuss on the phone or if I need to make an appt to talk about surgery. He told me if I had any questions to call him. Since any individual health insurance plan I'll be able to get would carry a $5000 deductible, I'm leaning towards going ahead and having it done before my current coverage ends at the end of this month.

I've read through all 100+ of my old posts on here and discovered so much about my previous knee probs that I had totally forgotten about! That MRI back in 2003 was like this one..."possible" tear, but not sure. Once that OS got in, he found 2 tears.

Concern #1: A large part of my pain is coming from my severely inflamed tendons. I even have bruising at the top of my calf, just below the knee. I know noting can be done for the tendons (as far as "fixing" unless there's a tear/rupture). I'm wondering though if he'll be able to take a good look at them while he's in there. Since they scope from the front and side for the meniscus, I don't know if they can maneuver the scope to see the tendons in the back. I also have MCL pain and I'm almost positive he'll look at that since one of the incisions is usually right beside it.

Concern#2: I do NOT want general anesthesia. I've had 2 surgeries in the past 10 months and have a horrible time bouncing back. Not sure if you remember, but my last knee surgery, I went back to work 4 days later and ended up taking a nice ambulance ride to the hospital 30 minutes into my shift. The ER docs said that it was a rare thing, but there was anesthesia that basically stored in my adipose tissue (and I have about 30 pounds more "adipose tissue" than I did back then!) and it came back over me, causing confusion, paranoia, and all sorts of creepy, bad stuff. It didn't happen with my spine or fibroid surgeries, but I still worry. Plus, I have a family history of malignant hyperthermia....BAD stuff! I would prefer to have a local if I have another knee scope. If I don't have to put my body through another round of general, I don't want to. Though the worst part of my last surgery (fibroid) was because I had them remove my urinary catheter too soon and couldn't urinate. The nurse was supposed to place a new one if I didn't pee by midnight and she waited till 5am. I was in so much pain that I was crying hysterically and literally trying to suffocate myself with my pillow. My bladder only holds roughly 150ml before it becomes very painful. By the time they did the catheter, it was filled to nearly 800ml and about to rupture. You could have skinned me alive and it wouldn't have been any more painful! I had nightmares for a month because of that!

My OS did say that this surgery wouldn't be as bad as the last (knee) one....easier recovery. My mother is moving to Atlanta, GA on October 1, so it would be much easier on me if I get it done before she leaves. I was alone for my last knee surgery and it was terrible not having someone to help me. At least I don't have any stairs now. I lived on the 3rd floor with no elevator last time. Looking back, I have no idea how I managed that on my own!

I feel for you with the RSD...another good friend of mine has it in her hands and arms and I have heard how horribly crippling it can be. I have fibromyalgia and that's more than I can handle some days. I can handle most pain, but what the fibro does to the brain is so frustrating! I can't even come up with simple words half the time. And my memory is...well...it's crap!

I have to go in on Tuesday for a SI injection (nerve block). Hoping that will take care of some of the low back pain I'm having. If not, back to square one with trying to figure out where it's coming from.

Anyhoo....glad I remembered this site. You and a few others were such a great help before and I know that now we're back in touch, you'll be there for me to bounce ideas around again. *hugs*

Brooke
Arthroscopy 8/8/03 - partial meniscectomy (x2), chondroplasty, lateral release (failed). 1/04 - dx with "miserable alignment". 11/04 - dx patella baja.