Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: severe pain after PFR  (Read 4544 times)

Offline rescurolf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
severe pain after PFR
« on: September 09, 2011, 08:30:49 AM »
I'm 43 yr old female retired firefighter with bilateral PFR....had 1st almost 1 yr ago and extremely happy with it...my left knee was done April 6 making me currently 5 months out and I'm having very bad pain throughout the joint along with stability problems.....the PA @ my surgeon keeps saying that I need to be patient and it is just taking time to heal but I've dealt with bad knees since age 19 and something is wrong....I have a very high pain tolerance and this is hitting a 10/10 with great frequency....my symptoms: constant swelling posterior and laterally, very warm to touch (even after just removing ice packs), constant throbbing pain, extreme pain with trying to fully straighten, sharp constant pain with weight bearing.......other notes: good ROM  135 and 0, pain and swelling decrease significantly if I use crutches for a couple of days but then starts back with a vengence as soon as I start weight bearing.....my friends who are in the medical field say I need a 2nd opinion and my PT says that there is something not right with the knee and not just a "slow healer" as my surgeon's asst termed it......also by this point with the other knee, I could run pain free

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: severe pain after PFR
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 02:56:40 PM »
I would say follow your gut on this one.  One caution however is many other knee surgeons do not like to see you as a second opition until 6 months out.  Call around and find out though.  It sounds like there is still a great deal of inflammation to me.  I had quite a bit for a long while, but it would calm down with ice.  Hope you find your answer.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
  • Cats are great recovery companions
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 02:04:58 AM »
Your situation sounds so similar to mine.  I am almost a year out now and know something is not right.  I can walk better now than a few months ago, but still walking 1/2 mile is inconceiveable to me.  Standing (which my work requires) is unbearable after 10 minutes.  I too have good ROM and really decent strength.  I have been forced to use it much more recently as mentioned in another post and I have learned to put it on the back burner you might say, but that honestly doesn't mean it feels better.  Stopped taking pain meds for a few days as I quite simply was too overwhelmed to remember them and have realized they really don't help.  Good to know and its one less thing I am subjecting myself to.  I am trying to find another OS as mine not so empathetic (believe he is worried about his own stats as well). 

Thank you for your thoughts on our flooding.  We literally had the creek near our home flowing over driveway into basement (even broke in the door!)  And with that said we were extremely blessed compared to others in area.  It's been 2 1/2 weeks and clean up is no where near complete.  We have learned we have some great neighbors and some pretty awesome family members -even my hairdresser has offered to help!  Also learned that couple we thought were good friends are truly "fairweather friends", which while hard is also good to know.  Thanks again and good luck to you.  While I wouldn't wish this on anyone (except maybe the b____ I used to work with who asked if I was limping because I was in pain), it helps to know I am not alone in dealing with it.
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with more opinions....especially if you are in pain.

There is also a publication "Intractable Pain Patients Handbook" by Dr. Forest.  Just google it and it will tell you about pain relief and how to approach a Pain Management doctor.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR