Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: please help me interpres my MRI before my orth appt  (Read 1585 times)

Offline zosial

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
please help me interpres my MRI before my orth appt
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »
MRI of the right knee:
Multiplaner and multiecho of the right knee were obtained. Sagittal image were obtained using T1, T2 and proton-weight factors.Coronal image were obtained using T1-weighted factors.
MENISCI:The medical and lateral menisci are intact.There is no evidence of meniscal tear.
LIGAMENTS:The anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments are intact.The medical collateral ligament and lateral collateral ligament remain intact.
OSSEOUS AND CHONDRAL STRUCTURES: There is intermediate  to high grade chondromalacia with grade-III/IV chondromalacia in the posterior aspect of the lateral femoral condyle.There is also intermediate grade to high grade chondromalacia with grade-III/IV involving the right weight-bearing aspect of the medial femoral condyle with marrow edema in this location.In addition, there is mild to intermediate grade chondromalacia with grade I/II changes involving the articular cartilage of the lateral patellar facet. The articular cartilage of the trochlea is normal in appearance.
SYNOVIUM AND SOFT TISSUES: There is a large joint effusion. There is quadriceps tendinosis. The patellar is intact. There is prepatellar bursitis. There is a prominent popliteal cyst measuring up to 5.5 cm in size. THANK YOU

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: please help me interpres my MRI before my orth appt
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:46:52 PM »
Hi Zosial,

It sounds like you have a fair amount of damage to the articular cartilage (the shiny stuff that helps the bones move smoothly) on the bottom of your thigh bone both in the lateral (outside) and medial (inside)  compartments.  Damage to this cartilage is measure on a scale of 1-4 (1 being slight and 4 being the worst damage where there are holes through to the bone).  You the patella also have some lighter damage to the cartilage on the ouside back side of (knee cap).  The trochlea (the groove that the kneecap sits and moves in is ok).

Have a read through this section http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2263  which explains more about the articular cartilage - this damage you have sounds more like wear and tear (arthritis) than due to trauma (and the meniscus, the spongy stuff between the thigh and shin bones and the various ligaments that hold the knee together are ok.  Unfortunately, the artuicular cartilage has no blood supply and doesn't heal - generally once there is extensive damage in the different compartments it is hard to fix in any way and normally a replacement of some sort will be offered.  How old are you - replacements aren't usually advised in younger patients (i.e. under about 60) as the parts don't last forever

It sounds like you have a lot of swelling (effusion) in the knee plus some other inflammation (edema/bone bruising) and stuff which I am not sure about.

Good luck for your OS meeting :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline zosial

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: please help me interpres my MRI before my orth appt
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »