Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Other knee locked last night! Advice?  (Read 940 times)

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Other knee locked last night! Advice?
« on: September 04, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »
Hi,

Mostly my worries have been for my left knee which had the arthroscopy and got the diagnosis of patellofemoral arthritis, but my right knee has been gradually getting worse. It's only had a bit of swelling, and takes all the strain, so it's not been doing too badly considering everything.

Last night in bed, I turned over and my right knee just locked going from straight to bent. Sharp stabbing pain under my kneecap. I froze for a second then relaxed it gingerly and it moved ok, but it was very odd and freaked me out a bit.  I've never had this before (my bad knee hasn't done it), so not sure whether it's nothing to worry about or whether I should check it out with my OS.

My right knee is hurting a bit today, but not particularly more than usual. Hope to goodness nothing more happens to it, it's the only decent lower limb I've got!

Any advice appreciated as always.

;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Other knee locked last night! Advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:54:48 AM »
Did it feel the whole "leg" locked or the "kneecap" kind of stuck/locked? If it is the latter I have had this a couple of times on both legs. I think with premature kneecap OA there is an underlying mechanical reason. (Mine are tilted and my legs have some mild rotation issues). Consequently sometimes my kneecap will "shift" a little. It never dislocates but it kind of moves, gets stuck, then is all fine. There is often a pain at the same time as I assume it gets stuck on a bit that is worn out! Mine too always is OK when I slowly release the leg.

If it is the whole leg that is locking (ie like a mechanical block to bending) it could be meniscal I guess.

Take it easy, hopefully it is a one off and another weird knee experience!

Lottie x
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline anna82marie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
  • Keep smiling; people will wonder why!!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 08:40:24 AM »
You and me both; it feels horrible, doesn't it? I think you should check it out with your OS, if nothing else it will give you some peace of mind. I think your probably right and that as your 'good' knee takes the majority of the strain, it's inevitable that it'll start complaining eventually!

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:04:21 AM »
Thanks Lottie and Anna!

It wasn't the whole knee, definitely just the kneecap, and it did feel like it sort of stuck for a few seconds.

I just find it odd that I've never had this happen in my left knee that has had all the swelling and pain for the last 10 months (good grief, is it that long?). The OS said both would be similarly affected by the PFA, but I had thought my right knee wasn't as bad because it has been holding up ok so far, and the bit of pain and very minor swelling I had put down more to it having to take most of the strain.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll e-mail my OS and just check it out with him.

;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)