Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Question about hardware pain in osteotomy  (Read 1353 times)

Offline rknee6

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Question about hardware pain in osteotomy
« on: September 04, 2011, 02:26:15 AM »
Hi,
I  am 37 yr old Female and  had an osteotomy on my rt knee in March due to osteonecrosis  and am having extreme hardware pain.  Last X-ray (2 weeks ago) shows 2 screws have moved.  Doc thinks it's too early to remove hardware but I can barely walk and put weight on the leg.  Aside from ice, going back on crutches, using compression, taking pain meds-does anyone know how else hardware pain can be managed until I can have it removed?  Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
left knee plica removal '90
rt knee lateral release '95
rt knee scope '10
rt knee core drilling '10
rt knee osteotomy '11

Offline KinnaMarie

• Regular Poster
Re: Question about hardware pain in osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 03:33:52 AM »
I had a fulkerson osteotomy in January and I just had my screws removed in July because my OS thought I was allergic to them because my leg was swelling and bruising, plus it would really hurt every time he would touch where the screws were.  So I was 6 months post-op, but my x-rays showed that the osteotomy site was healed so he agreed to go in and either take the screws out or replace the screws with titanium ones.  He explained that they normally do not take hardware out until the 1 year mark... 

I dealt with the swelling and bruising for about 2 months, but what helped me during that time was keeping my leg stabalized.  He started by putting me in a walking boot and that helped a lot, but then after about 3 weeks he said I could stop wearing it and 2 days later I was all bruised and swollen again from my knee to my ankle.  Not bending the knee also helps...but then you risk your knee becoming stiff again. 

I hope this helps a little! :)

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:57:37 AM »
rknee6
Sorry that the hardware is giving you difficulties. You are doing everything you can, just try and take it easy until the OS will take them out.  They really do need to stay in there for as long as the OS deems necessary. You don"t want the screw site to become dislodged from taking them out too early.

Mine still give me grief as well. Just be caustious and don't bump them.  Elevation is always good as well.  Unfortunately some people are more bothered by them than others.  Hang in there the time will tick by. :)
Take Care,
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline rknee6

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »
Thanks so much for the feedback. Can I ask what the experience has been w/ hardware pain for others?  It almost is more painful than the whole reason I went in for surgery!! 
left knee plica removal '90
rt knee lateral release '95
rt knee scope '10
rt knee core drilling '10
rt knee osteotomy '11

support