Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Currently waiting on ACL surgery  (Read 902 times)

Offline matsmcfly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Currently waiting on ACL surgery
« on: September 02, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »
Hi guys, newbie here :)

So yeah, as of a few days ago I have finally been referred for surgery on my ACL after a football injury ~ 18 months ago.

First time round (~ 1 yr ago) when I went to the hospital and had an MRI, contrary to the scan report, the consultant diagnosed me with an overstretched ACL rather than a total rupture of the ligament (as per the report).  So following this I was sent to the physio to build up my knee, physio went well and I passed the strength tests etc., was surprisingly able to zig-zag run etc. so was discharged with orders to continue with the programme and gently ease myself back in to sport.

I was hoping to get back into sport again, in particular football so I started my pre-season training: only doing the running work, didnt go near a football or drills.  However, the first ball work drill I jump in to ended after about 5 minutes with me on the floor shouting abuse at my knee lol :p.

So a few days ago, I seen the consultant again and was told I am a textbook example of a completely ruptured ACL, and am currently awaiting a date for the operation.

I'm a little annoyed as it has taken this length of time to get to this stage, however on the upside I guess my knee isnt in too bad condition with regards to going in to the operation (pretty good strength there etc.).

It would be good to hear from others that are currently in, or have been in this situation before.  I cant say Im concerned about the operation, but would be keen to find out about the aftercare, and post-op stuff, i.e. time till you were weight bearing, walking un-aided etc.

Cheers

Offline Arity

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Currently waiting on ACL surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
Hi!

Sorry to hear about your injury!  Best of luck in your surgery!

In the meantime, have a look at the information hub on the site, and have a read through the post op diaries section.  There is a lot of information on the site and quite a few diaries for ACL reconstruction and can give you *some* idea of what to expect.  Keep in mind, everyone's experience is different, but this may give you some idea of what to expect.

Cheers,