Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brace for snowboarding post-Meniscus surgery  (Read 3323 times)

Offline chipseh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Brace for snowboarding post-Meniscus surgery
« on: September 02, 2011, 12:19:39 AM »
Hi everyone.

I've done a search but couldn't seem to find anything specifically related to my case, so I was hoping you could help me.

2 months ago I had 40% of my lateral meniscus removed in my left knee due to a bucket-handle tear. Since then I have resumed normal daily activities, and have been discharged by both my surgeon and my physio. I go to the gym every morning and do at least 30mins cardio on the cross trainer, and then either do some cycling or weights (leg curls, extensions, etc). I'm working on getting my quads/hamstrings back to the strength they were before my injury. I have no real pain aside from the odd "pinch" here or there, but these subside very quickly and have been decreasing in frequency since I started back at the gym 2 weeks ago.

I'm off snowboarding for a long weekend in December, and I wanted to know if it was worth me getting a knee brace just to keep things in check. If so, could you please recommend one that would be suitable for me to wear.

Thanks!

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Brace for snowboarding post-Meniscus surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
You don't need a brace for a meniscus deficient knee unless a trained therapist recommends it. The best type would be an unloaded brace which will shift the pressure off the deficient side. But you only really need that if you have arthritis issues as well.

It is far better to specifically target all the muscles around your knee and be as fit as you possibly can. Wearing a brace is a double-edged sword and really should not be done unless the structures like ligaments in the knee have been compromised. I wear braces for my knees as they have ben through the mill and back again. I'd much rather I didn't but I'm a bit long in the tooth to be a gym rat these days and my work is pre-dominantly desk bound.

:)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee