Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Waiting times - Vancouver, Canada  (Read 2696 times)

Offline iamsuperrat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Waiting times - Vancouver, Canada
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:33:03 PM »
Hi, I tore my ACL completely when I fell at the beginning of Summer. This health system in BC is driving me nuts. If anyone has gone through this system before, please let me know how long it takes for referrals to see an orthopedic surgeon as well as any bits of info dealing with this. MRI was done after waiting 6 weeks and results were in only 3 weeks later! What goes on from here? Do I have to have surgery? I'm scared, sad, and so disappointed that an ordinary fall could cause so much damage.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:58:31 AM by iamsuperrat »

Offline Arity

• Regular Poster
Re: Waiting times - Vancouver, BC
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 12:03:30 AM »
Hi there,

I am not in BC but I can tell you what the waiting times were for Alberta and Ontario  ;)

I originally injured my knee in Alberta and tore my acl and meniscus but opted to attempt a more conservative surgery first, and then moved to Ontario, so I had the pleasure of going through the system in two Provinces :).

In Alberta, I waited four months from getting the results of the MRI and referral to getting my consult with the OS.  My meniscotomy was performed a couple of months later.

In Ontario, I waited four months (again) from referral to OS to consult with OS, and then six months from the consult to my ACL reconstruction.

Wait times vary from Province to Province, so I can't speak for BC.

In terms of having to have surgery, that is a decision that is entirely up to you.  Your OS will go over your options with you and his/her opinion at the time of the consult :).

Sorry to hear of your injury - it's no fun at all! 

Hope this helped (a little)  :)

Offline chandra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Waiting times - Vancouver, BC
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:05:49 AM »
yes, you would need to undergo surgery to reconstruct the ACL as you it was tore completely.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Waiting times - Vancouver, Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:46:54 AM »
I was in the same position as you last year after blowing my ACL while skiing at Whistler. At least you've made it through the MRI system faster than I did - I was told mine would be five months, so I ended up paying to have it done privately. For the wait times to see a surgeon, so much depends on who you're referred to. You can get a sense of the wait times here:

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/swt/faces/Home.jsp;jsessionid=2a0c37da68fa802d425383ef9fa6

Note, though, that this is the wait time from consult to surgery - the wait for the initial consult is often the longest part. The surgeons up at UBC have great reputations, but crazy wait times. I was initially referred to one of them, but after finding out that the wait for a consult was over a year I got my family doctor to refer me elsewhere. (Being proactive at this point is really important - find out who you've been referred to, call their office, and ask about the wait for a consult. Make sure you know what you're dealing with.) I ended up having my ACL reconstruction done by Dr. Thomas Lu, who works out of Delta and Richmond. Not only was the wait much better (six weeks from referral to consult; another six weeks from consult to surgery) but he did a great job on the surgery; I had my reconstruction in July last year, was skiing again in February, and now have my Grouse Grind time down to 49 minutes. :)

Best of luck moving forward. Are you doing physio right now? Getting mobility back and strengthening up the muscles around the knee is so important both for protecting the ACL-deficient joint from more damage, and preparing for surgery if it's required (it most likely will be with a complete tear.) The surgery itself isn't much fun, but as long as you have a good physiotherapist and are diligent about sticking to the rehab protocol it has an excellent success rate. Do let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to help with, given that I'm in Vancouver as well.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline iamsuperrat

• Regular Poster
Re: Waiting times - Vancouver, Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »
thank you so much Snowy for personally replying here. Yes I was lucky to get an earlier MRI (originally scheduled for end Oct, a 5 months wait). I am doing physio weekly the second week of June. Fully maxed up my insurance and now it's just me and my bank account so it's quite a bummer. My PT recommended some, but not sure who the family doctor has referred me to, I will check.

support