Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Residents & Surgery  (Read 1111 times)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Residents & Surgery
« on: August 31, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »
General question – I am set to have a MPFL Reconstruction and Lateral Lengthening performed the end of September. It is at a teaching facility. I’ve been a little apprehensive with the “teaching” aspect of this process. The only reason I am going through this avenue is because my old OS referred me to my current OS based on her level of expertise and experience with the problem/procedure.

That said, anyone have any idea what role I can expect a resident(s) to take in the operating room?
Any idea’s on how to clarify roles without sounding rude?

Let me also say - The attending OS gave me no reason to believe she wouldn’t be performing the procedure, and in many terms gave me every reason to believe she would be performing. In fact, I really didn’t question it at all until after the appointment. (personally, think I’m just looking for any excuse/reason to cancel, surgery is kind of freaking me out!)
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Residents & Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »
Honestly I would not over thing the Teaching Hospital thing.  Most of the best hospitals in the US are teaching hospitals!

When I had my PFJR I had a room full of interns/residents along with my OS.  I was told that the interns were there strictly to watch,  the residents were there to assist and possibly perform some of the procedure but under strict guidance of my OS (never alone) and the residents would be allowed to close (staple).  To be honest I never really questioned the roles of the students or residents and felt a sense of ease being in a room FULL of Dr's!

Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:57:17 AM »
Definitely overthinking it.  ;) Little overwhelmed by the whole thought of surgery - even though I have no doubts its the right decision. I'm sure when the day comes it will all come together fine and I'll feel comfortable with the level of care by my OS - just like my appts thus far.

Also, I just thought the resident at my appt that took my history and a lot of measurements before the attending OS came in the room was just a bit of a tool. Entertaining at first to watch my OS correct some of his mistakes, but since rhwn has kind of got me thinking... He's not gonna be involved is he? But trust plays a big part clearly if he's not qualified, my OS isnt going to let them anywhere near me.

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:00:40 AM »
That was probably a student not a resident in the office.  My OS has students shadow him in the office but I have never seen a resident.  Resident are generally in the hospital taking care of the Post-op follow up needs.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:33:32 AM »
No, it was definitely a resident I had in the office. He introduced himself as Dr X one of Dr Y's Senior Residents and he wasnt just shadowing. He actually did a full work-up/exam and then my OS came in and showed him a few things and then repeated the relevant portions of the physical exam, before talking through options, risks, rewords and answering all my questions. My OS definitely took the proper time and care assessing my situation, no doubts with that. Just hoping this particular resident moved on to a new rotation by the time surgery roles around. :)

Offline Kmcsmiles

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 04:06:07 AM »
I had a mpfl reconstruction done at a university hospital and never questioned wether my OS was doing the actual procedure.  She had talked about the number the number of mpfl's she had performed.  Now I do know a resident was left to stitch me up and prescribed me pain meds afterwards, which was fine.  And after having a few procedures done there the nerve block was better when an attending doctor did it rather than a resident/intern.
12/20/89: diagnosed hypermobility joint syndrome
88-96 numerous checks/mri's on knee pain
91- left knee dislocate
93-96 rt and lt knee lateral release, plica removal
12/09 dislocated rt knee
09/10 rt knee mplf and lpfl reconstruction
06/11 rt knee repair nerve damage and ligament
10/10 MUA
6/11 r

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 04:35:58 AM »
Thanks for the feedback kmc... I've calmed down about the whole situation since my initial fears. Just choosing to trust the process - I definitely dont mind if a resident is involved with closing, simple parts, etc. In the back of my mind, I just want to know my OS will be doing the integral parts. Like you, she assured me talking about how many she had done, and her success rates. I know it will be fine, I just get paranoid! :)