Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hello from a Confused & Panicking Newbie  (Read 790 times)

Offline Bluewoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello from a Confused & Panicking Newbie
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »
Hi

I am so confused...I thought I had a reasonable idea about what was happening, until I came onto this site and found that there are more things out there than I could possibly imagine...

As a toddler I twisted my knee in-between some metal bars and my knee cap was pushed back into place by my Nan, haven't got a clue but I was told I had the "screaming ab dabs" :'( 

At the age of 14, after X-Rays I was told that I had shallow grooves in my knee caps and to strengthen my upper thigh muscles, that  helped for 20 odd years.  As the years have gone on, my knees (and most of my joints) have become "crunchy" and to get a satisfactory release they "pop". 

All was going OK until I had a bad fall about 3 years ago that has left me with sciatica and patchy nerve sensation down my left leg.

As I haven't been walking very far or evenly I've put on a lot of weight and it's put extra pressure on my knees and I ended up having a number of falls; eventually taking a spectacular (but I like to think graceful) tumble down the stairs as my left knee gave way again.  I'm now walking with the aid of arm crutches.

The good old NHS has now decided that after a consultation and MRI, I need an Arthroscopy and a possible Lateral Release as my kneecap is pulled towards the outside, I've got wearing in the wrong place, but no mention of repairing the shallow groove.

I found this site as I was looking for information on "typical" recovery processes and hurdles I might face.  I'm now confused as to what I might face and what I should be asking of my consultant to be better informed and allay some of my fears.

One of which should I be discussing with the consultant "trochleoplasty" rather than a Lateral Release?

Another is I really don't want to undergo General Anaesthesia but would like to know if anyone has undergone a similar proceedure under a femoral/regional block, and would share their experiences?

Thanks for reading through my post

Yours confused  ???
BW

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: Hello from a Confused & Panicking Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 09:36:26 AM »
Hi BW,

You have had a rough road. I'm no expert on your problem, although I have patella issues myself and do sympathise...

Try not to panic about all the posts on here. As pointed out to me by another KG, most of the people on here are posting because they have a problem right now, so a lot of the posts can be negative or sound scary. And of course there are lots of different injuries and procedures being talked about, so you can feel overwhelmed. Many many people who have had procedures and operations on their knee have had a positive outcome and therefore don't feel the need to join and post on a site like this!  I know it's difficult, but try to keep calm.

There are lots of regular KGs who help all us newbies, and one of them will be able to help you out soon.

Good luck and hang on in there...
 ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline anna82marie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
  • Keep smiling; people will wonder why!!
Re: Hello from a Confused & Panicking Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
I had a lateral release done under general anaesthetic nearly 2 years ago. It's one of the easiest surgeries I have had!

I have had a few surgeries under general and 2 with a spinal and if I had the choice I'd go for a spinal every time. You can ask to be sedated with a spinal so if you're squeamish that's a good option! With a spinal I find that the pain relief after surgery is second to none and I was able to concentrate immediately after surgery unlike with a general which makes me groggy for 2 or 3 days afterwards. It's also really interesting to hear what your surgeon is doing; I watched my surgeon flinging my leg around and it was a very surreal experience!

I don't know if that's any help to you at all. Have you had a general before? I will keep an eye on your post and try to help where I can. Don't go too in depth with the horror stories on here it only serves to frighten you! Bear in mind that every experience of knee injuries and surgery is different, so we can only give you our opinions. For me the lateral release was absolutely fine, it's the complications along the way that have scuppered my recovery!

Anna x