Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2nd opinion - UK private costs? Advice appreciated...  (Read 13290 times)

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: 2nd opinion - UK private costs? Advice appreciated...
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »
Hello All,
I can't believe what you go through to get treatment.  I feel very blessed and thankful to my husband who sent 20 years and some change in the US Navy.  We are and have been our entire married life very well covered  and to think people here complain about military medocal here.  Seems like a breeze compared to you.  All  the best luck to you.
9/2010 fell broke nose and injured L knee
10/2010 MRI  negetive
1/21/2011 diagnostic arhtroscopy woke up with MFX
8/11/2011 new MRI showed failed MFX
9/1/2011 Biopsy for carticel
11/1/2011 ACI
5/31/12 scope and microfracture again 1/2 ACI failed
9/2/12 Scheduled OATS,Osteotomy

Laurie

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2011, 10:26:16 PM »
It is shocking the variety of care people get depending on where they live and whether they have other resources. Here in the UK we are very lucky with the NHS, the care may vary, some OS's may be <cough> not the most sympathetic, but at least we are entitled to treatment. It makes me really sad when I read some of the posts on this site from people in the US who don't have medical insurance and feel that they have no options.

Unfortunately I suppose it comes down to money, as with most things. On the NHS the free service can mean anything from a poor experience to brilliant world-class excellence, but must of us get on pretty well. If we can afford it, or have insurance, we can go private, although that doesn't always guarantee you the best. Being a private patient normally means that you can jump the queues and get answers and treatment quicker, but the OS usually does some NHS work as well - it's just that you'd only get to see him if he was in your county/NHS trust.

It never seems fair. I've wished many times since last October that I had paid for private insurance when I was younger so that I could have skipped the queues. No-one would insure me now!

Could always be worse though. I'm glad to be living in a country where there's a health service like this. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than nothing.

As Elliot173 says, good luck to you all!

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2011, 08:25:45 PM »
Hi Brambledog,

Didn't catch up last weekend, as I managed to get the GP appointment, and changed pain killers. Wish I hadn't bothered. Gp was great and he has written letter for me to see OS hopefully to get a brace, however the new pain killers made me have nearly every side-effect listed on the leaflet inside. I felt sooo sick, my heart was having palpitations, I was hot, cold and everything in between, the worse bit was the pin & needles feeling through my whole body. This lasted over 14 hours and I only took two of the smallest tablets. Hence they are now back in the pack and will be going back to the chemist!! I have gone back to my trusty Co-Dydramols.

Hi Solar Cycles

It is always a good option to have a second opinion. It appears on KG's so often and is always worth it. I have grade 4 OA and am waiting for an osteotomy. Best decision I have made as I can't stand not having my life - and thinking wish I could do that!

I have been NHS and private for my knee, the difference is time, but also private you get to choose when appointments and surgery suit you.

Happy Knees to everyone

WD

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2011, 08:39:14 PM »
Hi WD, great to hear from you.

Sounds like you've has a really hard time this last week - those new painkillers must have been a nightmare. Glad you're over the worst of it and back to feeling more like yourself again!  ::). Makes you wonder what on earth was in them that had such a viscous effect on your body... Scary stuff.

Good to hear you should get your brace soon - I'm still waiting for my OS appointment to see him and get the referral to the brace guy. I'd like to have it before Christmas so i could go and do a bit of shopping by myself at some point!

Take care and have a nice quiet Sunday!

Brams x
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)