Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2nd opinion - UK private costs? Advice appreciated...  (Read 13284 times)

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: 2nd opinion - UK private costs? Advice appreciated...
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
Yikes Lottie!

Cracking x-rays of your personal hardware department... Havent seen that much since the x-rays of my cocker spaniel who broke her hind leg at 4 months and had 3 ops, multiple screws and 3 plates. Presumably with that lot you must set off the alarms in airports?!  Like you say, to have that much work and not feel it when doing stuff is amazing.

As you say, the nerve damage should hopefully settle over time.  Long live the metalware!

Hx.  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 01:37:30 PM »
I don't think it will set off the alarms, although I haven't tried yet! Yep, its an impressive amount, he did a LOT of work, a usual fusion has two screws and thats it but he had to shift the bone, do a scarf osteotomy for the bunion, correct the alignment, saw off the overgrowth, remove the two fixed bone spurs, remove the loose cartilage, remove the ends of the joint, smooth, splice and fix so that it was solid from the out set! I was able to walk on it the night of the op - albeit on the side of the foot more than fullly flat. I think he builds Airfix models in his spare time! I was in for nearly two hours.

If you are bored I have a blog:

www.onionsbegone.wordpress.com

Details all my lovely adventures!!

Lotrie  ;D

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »
Hi Brambledog

I am with Anna in recommending Mr Wilson. I had spent 6 months attending physio appointments, seeing four different physio’s after having problems with my knee. I was referred to an OS from the MSK Clinic, but found out he specialized in the foot and ankle! Not really what I wanted, but my very kind Dad offered to pay for me to go private, and I very carefully investigated OS’s in my area. I am lucky enough to live 20 miles from 5 relatively good hospitals. I selected Mr Wilson because he appeared to have a good all round knowledge and experience of knees. I am not at all disappointed.

I had an arthroscopy in March, only to be told I have grade 4 OA. I am now waiting for an osteotomy on the NHS, hopefully in November all being well.

Lottie – I love the “stroke your bones” description, makes it less real somehow.

My initial appointment was £150, the arthroscopy including surgeon and anaesthetist was £3305, and follow up appointment was £75. My GP advised me that I had to have trust in my OS and if I didn’t then I should see another one. When I first went to my GP he had not heard of Mr Wilson, but he knew all about him by my next appointment!

I love reading all your blog’s, it makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one with one of those dodgy limbs that doesn’t hold them up properly!!

Hope this helps,

Pat

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 09:34:32 PM »
Hello Pat,

Good luck with the impending bone chop! As I've said, I think the bone shifting techniques are so advanced now and so well designed to shift the forces that with a good surgeon you have an excellent chance of a good outcome. I know mine was a small osteotomy but I have been really happy with the surgical outcome. The complications are nothing to do with the skill of the surgeon. Yes bone work hurts, I cried my eyes out when I came home the day after the surgery. The night of the operation was fine, I had so many drugs I was only worried about the hideous nausea I had! But for 48 hours it was pretty intense, stay on top of the meds and that helps. I got behind, and once back on track it was much better.  ;D

My foot doc actually had a conversation with me and hubby sitting with my feet in his hands, stroking my deformities. I was fascinated. I am not even sure he knew he was doing it, as he was discussing the options etc referring to what he was stroking. So, I reckon he loved stroking them and then sawing them! I am not repulsed my metalwork at all, find it all pretty amazing. I did see a client once with his shoulder pin sticking out of his skin, that was dubiously fascinating too. And a protruding ankle pin once as well, that was funky. He pushed it and his toe moved.  8)  Party trick!

Lottie x

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:28 PM »
Saws, chisels...how about we throw in the drills they use to make the bone tunnels for ACL reconstruction? I remember glancing over at the tray of instruments when I was in the OR waiting for the anaesthetist, and between all the hammers and drills it looked more like the equipment for a home renovation project than a delicate arthroscopic surgery...
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »
My knee has been giving me gip today...need to stop talking/thinking about it :-\
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »
My knee has been giving me gip today...need to stop talking/thinking about it :-\

Boo on the knee tantrum.  :'( :-\  Caught it from Reggie over the weekend.....must be the weather.....ack, get your bones sawed, it won't hurt at all. All the best people have some metal bits!!  ;D

xx

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 10:07:42 PM »
Lol no metal for Neelie :o , even though Reggie's does look cool (if a little rude)!   ;D

A week off work, back in the office for a day and I have a sore knee and a filthy headache, need another holiday!  The office has been refurbed, new furniture including chair, wonder if the different set up has upset the knee  :-\  Might be the weather, biked to work, very windy but thankfully dry!

Need to make an appointment to see physio, corporate change of insurance company so need to get sign off (cannot find the practice on the BUPA website so may need to have a discussion with them)!
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 10:15:56 PM »
Hi Lottie

I am sure that when I get near to op date, I will start to wonder what I am doing. However I have every faith in my OS, and his osteotomy skills. It is really good to hear someone who is happy with the outcome of their op.

I have taken enough painkillers to sink a battleship, so there are always plenty in my house. I tried not taking them, but regretted the pain that they killed!! I have learnt my lesson, pain relief is something to be on top of.

Your foot doc sounds kind of kinky, stroking your foot, and in front of your hubby!!! Perhaps he finds it therapeutic, more to the point did you? I would have had to have looked, if I saw bits poking out of someone’s skin, isn’t that a natural instinct?

With all the drills, chisels etc. you lot mention, I think my hubby has all of those plus more in the garage, wouldn’t fancy him using them on my knee though!!!!!!!

Vickster – Hope you have got some good pain relief! KG is not the right place to be, to stop thinking about knees is it?

Pat

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2011, 10:19:37 PM »
Hi Pat (AKA WonkyDonkey! Hope you don't mind, but I did chuckle at your name - my younger daughter's favourite bedtime friend is the same...) Hope your osteotomy goes well in November, and thanks for all your info,

Snowy, I was really hoping no-one mentioned the dreaded drill...!!  :P

Vickster - sorry you're feeling a bit rubbish today, but you're not alone. Everyone's always so cheerful, which is great and does help, but on the odd day I just am down down down, and today is one. Be OK again tomorrow and relocate my mojo (lost down the back of the sofa I expect). Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Am going to try and sleep soon. Not my best day today, looking forward to the morning!

;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2011, 10:37:12 PM »
Cheers both

It's just annoying as my knee has been so well behaved for the last couple of months and was hopeful all the knee c*** is behind me  >:(  Friday is the second anniversary of my knee injury, maybe that's the reason for the aggro, as well as quite a lot of walking on hols last week, pavement but also uneven grass around Castle Howard (stunning if you find yourself close). 

I am conscious that the weather is slowly deteriorating and it is becoming more difficult to go out every day which has been my knee's salvation - I don't mind the rain per se, but I cannot cycle to work due to the inconvenience of getting wet, cold, muddy if it is wet first thing.  Also, having done my knee in on a dry sunny day, I am kind of wary of riding if it's wet, slippy and dark!

I try not to take too many painkillers, maybe the odd paracetamol, ibuprofen or tramadol at night.  My knee is sore, achy, grumpy and stiff, rather than hurty painful.  Although it was quite sore to walk on at lunchtime having been in the office...hmmm, maybe the knee is just allergic to work  :P and stress  ::)

Pat - what type of osteotomy are you down for - HTO (medial tattiness) or DFO (lateral)?

Brambledog - sleep well.  I am going to have an early night.  I shall drive to work tomorrow, weather forecast is awful - traffic is going to be vile with the schools going back.  I think I managed to cycle my ~4 miles to work more quickly than if I had driven as the traffic was hideous!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2011, 07:36:23 AM »
Vicks - don't cycle today, you'll be blown to Morocco or somewhere (perhaps warmer for the knee though???) It is a complete gale here. Not helped by living on the top of a hill, very exposed with wind whipping across 10 miles of Warwickshire countryside and hitting our house. Woke up after one cat had spent the night howling (chatting), another had spent the night wandering over the bed and sitting half on my head and the kitten (who sleeps in his safe room at night until he is chopped) had clearly gone mental with the wind and destroyed a toilet roll, dumping most of it over his litter tray! Tidy!  ;D  It isn't going to be a peaceful cat day methinks...they don't like the high wind....

Bramble, have you found your Mojo again? I know what you mean about bad days. I had one on saturday night - major foot flare up after two weeks of relative peace and I spent the evening in a bit of a bundle, with a tissue, sad expression and a big cup of tea. But, onwards, upwards, Sunday was not going to follow suit so i was up at the gym for 8.15 and had a much better day.

Pat - I also love your name. Its brilliant. I think my foot man just genuinely doesn't find feet repulsive and was simply enjoying the feel of the lovely deformed bunion under his fingers and imagining a nice straight toe! He's a funny man, bit aloof when you first meet him but actually got a very dark sense of humour and is very human. I owe him my foot function, he was SO on the ball with the complications that he stopped things getting to disaster stage. I actually would love to see him do another similar op, I find it all fascinating and also love looking at metal poking out of skin, along with large boils, scabs, blisters and so on. When I burned my finger very badly it kept me occupied for weeks as it healed and blistered and peeled.  :P ::)

Happy knee days to all. My best mate is cycling from Lands End to John o Groats for her holiday. She started on Sunday with another friend. Completely mad. Insane. I like exercise but thats bonkers. If she gets some sails she will make good ground today...

Hugs to all xxxx

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2011, 08:10:41 AM »
No cycling for sure - windy and now pouring with rain!  I shall enjoy sitting in school traffic in bad weather - joy  ::)

I had a rubbish night sleep, sore knee (tramadol), sore head (paracetamol) and I have a long, stressful day of work to look forward too...happy days  :-\

My cat is totally unperturbed by the wind - slept at top of stairs next to his bed, then came and stood/praddled on me to wake me up and obtain food, now curled up asleep on the sofa  :P

Hope everyone else slept well.  Lottie up and online early!

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2011, 09:27:23 AM »
Quote from: Lottiefox link=topic=57319.msg554364#msg554364 date=
love looking at metal poking out of skin, along with large boils, scabs, blisters and so on. When I burned my finger very badly it kept me occupied for weeks as it healed and blistered and peeled.  :P ::)

Hope you're not going to turn out to be a wierdo Lottie!  ;D. (at least not more than me!)  LOL at your cats and the wind - I've got three (bless him, one is on his last legs with a liver tumour, wasn't meant to last past Christmas last year) and they are all freaked out, eyes wide, fur bristling and claws at the ready - I think they feel they need to get hooked onto something to stop them from blowing away! The poorly one isn't excited at all, a mark of how crappy he feels I think, but he still purrs and still asks for and eats his food, so I can't bring myself to take him on the ultimate journey yet. Won't be long though I think.

Vickster, 'praddled' is the best descriptive word for that action thus far, and is now added to my dictionary! Combo of prodded and paddled?! My oldest cat is nearly 21 and when he praddles (love it) he is in a trance within a second, eyes narrowed suggestively, and then he starts dribbling LOADS. It's quite disgusting. He never used to, but as he's got older it's getting worse. I assume I'll probably go the same way myself...

Found my mojo in the end, although not until after I was up and conscious. It wasn't down the sofa at all - I finally located it in the corner of the dogs bed, slightly chewed... ::) Last night was not the most peaceful, I seemed to be very aware of the wind so I must have tossed and turned a fair bit. First night my right knee has been almost as swollen as my left, and hurt almost as much. Did nothing for my state of mind! My youngest started back to school yesterday morning, so was on my feet far too long with all the last-minute bits - think that's what did the damage, so I've been much lazier this morning and got her to do most of it herself with lots of encouragement...

Hope you both are having a good one today, especially you Vickster after such a rough night. I've got another hydro this afternoon, so might be another raggedy evening!

Love autumn but am feeling a bit nervous about the winter cold this year. I normally struggle a bit with the cold anyway... Oh well, we'll see. Got to book the chimney sweep today and order some logs before everyone else thinks of it as well!

Hx.  ;)

2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Hi All,

Also a passionate cat lover and have indoor cat in my flat from the RSPCA and love her to bits and would never have an outdoor cat again as I lost 3 on the main road where my parents use to live. At least I know Ellie is safe and well and seems to be happy being indoors and likes a lot of fuss and purrs loudly!

I prefer to jog rather then cycle and I know it not good for my knees but you only live once and the worst that could happen is TKR when I get older. I am willing to risk as I really enjoy jogging and good at it and will carry on for as long as my knees allow me to.

Might think I am mad wrecking my knees slowly and can always pop on KG for any future knee problems for support and advise, just like my last knee problems!

Autumn arrived and now need to wear a coat when going outside, Christmas Day will be here before we know it.

Nick :) {2011} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming