Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondral defect  (Read 4749 times)

Offline dawnb1968

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm not crazy. Sometimes you just gotta vent !
Osteochondral defect
« on: November 28, 2003, 05:05:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help, can anyone tell me what an osteochondral defect to the lateral femoral condyle is and if it is something to be concerned about ?
I'm having surgery to repair the meniscus in my left knee and i have tried calling my os to ask some questions about my mri results but can't seem to get anyone to call me back. I'm scheduled to have surgery on tues the 2nd.

Thanks for your time,
Dawn
left knee : partial meniscectomy, chondroplasty 12/03 , ACL recon 2/04 ,osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, medial joint space narrowing, chondromalacia grade II patello-femoral joint

Offline QBknee

• Forum Faithful
Re: Osteochondral defect
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 10:59:29 PM »
You may want to go to this website, www.cartilagerepaircenter.org.  If gives quite bit of information pertaining to OCD.   Also plenty of info on the major search engines such as google.  

I have been living with an OCD in my right knee since I was around 13. I am 31 now and after many years of competitive sports the defect became worse.  Everyone is different, but typically over time, the defect worsens and becomes less stable.  In my case, when I was 13 my knee would just give out on me.  Basically it is bone/cartilage that weakens over time and forms little craters in the knee.  Alot depends on the size of the defect.    Mine is 1.5 cm (relatively small defect) and is in the lateral femoral condyle/partial trochlera groove.  

I had a bone graft done recently for my OCD which seems to be healing well.  There are a few other procedures out there for OCD.  Microfracture, ACI, bone grafting.  The OS can help determine what is best based on the size and severity of the defect.  

I had Mirofracture performed in 1990 and this gave the knee about 12 years of quality life with sports like football and basketball.  I recently had the bone graft done (took piece of knee from top my tibia and implanted it into my defect in lateral femoral condyle)and this will take some more time for me to know how it has worked.  I may eventually need the ACI- Autologus Chondrocyle Implantation if the bone graft does not do the job.  Hopefully not, as it is a rigourous operation and recovery.  

If your OCD is not that severe and is not giving you any problems, my advice would be to leave it alone for now.  One year ago I may a poor decision to start the ACI procedure, when I should have just cut back on the basketball and other sports.  From that procedure, I developed heavy scar tissue/Arthrofibrosis.  Since then I have had the bone graft procedure in September, and then a Manipulation with scope for additional scar tissue removal Oct 27, 03.  The bone graft is not even my concern now.  It is the Arthrofibrosis, and scar tissue that I am battling.  

Make sure your OS is very experienced in Cartilage Repair before going into any of the procedures for the OCD.  

Good luck,

Dan

5/90 - Microfracture, 11/02 - ACI harvesting scope, 09/03 - Bone graft-Scar Resection -10/27/03 - Manip w scope 2/2/05- Posterior Capsular Release, Anterior Interval Release/staph infection, 3/14/05 wash out scope 12/11/06- Scar resection, lat/med releases

Offline MicroMom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:27:31 PM »
Hi!
This is my first time blogging, EVER!  I am post-op microfractures of a lateral osteochondral defect 12mm x 6mm (on a non-weight bearing surface) and retinacular release, 3 weeks tommorrow.  I have never been injured, and was a very active 45 year old mom.  TOTALLY, unsure of rehab/healing and what I can safely, do and not do.  PT has been vague with "Take it easy"and "Don't overdue" .  I have found that knee will swell up from driving short distances, or being on my feet (just picking up around the house) for more than 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  Have spent at least 4-5 hours in CPM a day.
How long do I need to do CPM?  Will I be able to resume normal activity in full 6 week time?  Normally, I am on my feet all day, but am now resting 6+ hours.  This whole thing is really putting a stop to my happy hobby of eating well; no exercise, no eating.  Please, any good insite, send it my way.

Micro Mom

Offline DteK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:24:41 AM »
very insightful Dan and thanks for the link

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:09:35 AM »
Dtek, you need to get a hold of your OS soon.  When you go in for the meniscus, they will prob do a microfracture on the osteocondral defect.  Its not an easy op to bounce back from and you need to prepare yourself to the nonweight baring for at least 6 weeks.  This board is a great place for information if you go on the home page under arthritis theres a place that says bone marrow stimulation, look on there it'll help.  Also Stedman Hawkins website and Cartilege Doc.org.  Good luck to you.
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.