Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: LOA & MUA round 2  (Read 19782 times)

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: LOA & MUA round 2
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2011, 12:10:23 PM »
It's good that you've got back to work, Stasha – it gives you something else to focus on.

What type of activities are you doing at the moment?  Are you fully weight-bearing or still on crutches?  Have you been assessed by Occupational Therapy services for you home and general mobility needs?

I have had good experiences with each of my pain consultants.  My only complaint is that they don't seem to stay around me for very long. :-\  I am sure that they will be able to help you.  They may also refer you to a pain physio who can advise on some of your needs.

I am on pregabalin and I felt so much better on this, much more so than gabapentin which seemed to do nothing.  Perhaps the pain clinic will prescribe this.  Unfortunately, this doesn't mean your GP will and they may be having an eye on their budget at this time.  My scanty research seems to indicate that pregabalin is a great pain relief agent and more effective than gabapentin.  It's benefits go beyond the classic nerve pain conditions.

Hope you get relief and direction soon!
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »
It is good to be back at work, it's nice to have other things to think about rather than just my knee. I'm off the crutches at the moment, I found that the pain seemed the same wether I used them or not so I've decided to stop at present. I just have to walk very slowly and carefully.

Activities are pretty minimal, I just go to work and then rest in the evenings with physio twice a week. I am in need of an assesment for my desk area etc but have a feeling this will never happen here!

I'm pleased to hear that you have had good experiences with your pain consultants. I've just got so used to the private route I'm not sure what to expect.

It's so frustrating that they wont let me have Pregabalin! I have asked 3 times now and get the same response everytime so have pretty much given up. If the pain clinic do prescribe it will the NHS allow me it? My GP said it's 'blacklisted' here so I presume that will be the case across the board? I guess I will find out at the end of the month.
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Stasha,

Sorry that you're feeling lost with no real support from the medical system. :(

I know that it seems stupid to use crutches when it does relieve the pain.  However, if (like me) you have delayed pain responses then it may be worthwhile using crutches all the time.  I was using crutches for a long time and I still need one crutch or a cane at times – although it is getting better and I can see that my walking spans are extending.

It's just that if your pain is affected by the accumulation of activity then using crutches will help.

Can you remember a time post-op when you didn't feel so much pain?  Can you recall a point at which things changed?
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2011, 03:18:46 PM »
That's a good point - perhaps an element of my night pain is a delayed reponse. Maybe I'll try the crutches again for a week to see if it helps or not.

The pain began creeping up about 2 weeks ago, and then last Monday I had a physio session which flared it up and it hasn't reduced since. We did minimal activity at physio yesterday, 5 mins on the bike and then just on the Cybex machine (it's like a CPM) and even that caused a pain increase.

I seem to have a very sensitive knee!  :-\

Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2011, 04:07:22 PM »
I hate to say this, but it's possible you've simply tried to push it too far too fast for your knee.  The best thing you could do now is try to rest it as much as you did before the flare up and see what that does for you.  I know it's frustrating, but your knee is in control for the moment.  It needs time to repair.  :'(

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2011, 04:15:37 PM »
I have wondered about this too. In some ways I think this is possible, but then on the other side I'm not so sure as we have gone at a snails pace this time round. We didn't introduce any basic strengthening work until about 3 weeks ago and even that was minimal and was approved by my OS.

I think i am leaning towards the option of putting the rehab on hold. My OS's secretary has emailed me back to say that he would like to see me in clinic so I will arrange an appointment asap and the hopefully I will know what to do.
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2011, 04:58:49 PM »
TBH at your stage I had not yet begun any strengthening work.  I kept doing the basics as my knee was still symptomatic – pain, heat and swelling.  It has only been relatively recently on the bike that it has become clear I could push it further.  This is because the bike feels too comfortable just spinning it over and the speed has naturally crept up without trying till it is on the edge of CV work.

You might like to re-read the postings made by HeatherM, Laurie and JakeM as well as myself to remind yourself of how long this recovery can take.  Heather is particularly good at reinforcing the framework for progressing with exercises as is Laurie.

Putting your physio on hold may be a reasonable thing to do.  However, you should try to maintain your mobility exercises in the interim, e.g. patella mobes, quad sets, ham sets, heel slides, ham & calf stretches.  My current minimum is patella mobes and stretches but my knee has settled to an equilibrium that allows me to maintain full mobility with a day or 2 off.  Any more than that and I notice it.  That said, the therapist I saw on Saturday said my knee is as good if not better than he's ever seen it since my troubles (he's know me from before then).  BUT before you despair about your own situation, remember how far out I am post-op ...

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 01:50:28 PM »
Thanks es ever for the advice, I will look up those pasts. I haven't read them for a while, not since I was first diagnosed.

I have an appointment with my OS next Thursday so I hope to know more then, fingers crossed anyway!
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »
I can't imagine the path Pam has taken......I am pulling my slightly graying hair out on a daily basis after 2 years.  In 1989 the telephone pole I was on broke and I woke up in the helicopter.  I only missed less than 2 months of work after that deal with multiple back surgeries, knee surgeries, and both shoulders along with a skull fracture.  AF has taken 2 years out of my life and I am going absolutely nuts....hearing voices...the voices won't stop...you guys are my witnesses if something terrible happens to my mother in law....don't print this post!

I hope you keep improving.  I am so jealous that you are back at work.  My teenagers are growing up and I have refused to make them suffer because their fat dad is a physical wreck.  But, saying yes has burned through the 401k fund, the retirement fund, my gun collection...and anything not nailed down.

If you hear of a crippled guy doing bank robberies in Florida...you don't know me!!

If you don't have humor....all you have is pain!

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR