Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Partial Knee Replacement  (Read 2273 times)

Daisy888

Partial Knee Replacement
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »
I am a female 47 who has been diagnosed with end stage osteoarthritis in my knee.  It has been recommended I have a partial knee replacement.  I am an active person and play ice hockey occasionally in a recreational women's league.  The doctor I am seeing has said this is not a common thing for a woman my age, but none the less, it has happened to me.  I would very much like to continue to play hockey on occasion and am wondering if a partial knee replacement would allow me to do that.  My doctor said "hockey is a terrible idea" for now, but I am still looking for options to make that possible still.  He has suggested an "unloader brace" might be helpful prior to the surgery for some pain relief until I have it.  I'm wondering if the brace could be used to play hockey and protect the knee after surgery).  The x-ray does show bone on bone and I know from the pain it is getting worse not better.  I am weighing the cost of putting off the surgery if I can deal with the pain, but I don't want to cause further injury to the bones by not having the surgery.  I'd really like to talk with someone around my age male or female who has had a partial knee replacement to find out how life will be different and how it can possibly be the same.  I am lamenting for sure, the potential loss of the things I love doing.  Any help would be welcome.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:55:37 PM by Daisy888 »

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: Partial Knee Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 05:33:45 PM »
"I am lamenting for sure, the potential loss of the things I love doing."

Know what you mean Daisy888! I'm no expert being a newbie, but someone on here will know more. Hang on in there and try to stay positive.

;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 03:14:32 PM »
If playing hockey is going to damage your knees further, well you may just have to switch to a sport that is better for you. Many of us here have had to give up activities we love doing and no activity should have greater priority over your health. There are people on here who have had PFJR and can tell you their experience..
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 08:10:01 PM »
Hi

I was offered a knee replacement but am trying a meniscus transplant first was this an option for you or have they gone straight to a PKR?

Anyway i wear an unloader brace during working day as i am on my legs all day and it does help. although i cant wear it to play golf as it inhibits me turning on it and if you catch the metal turn gauge it can hurt.  I myself would only recommend it for general walking around rather than sports although im sure people do wear them

take care and good luck!
'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Daisy888

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:26:26 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words and information.  The partial is the only option left to treat the total loss of cartilage in that knee.  I just got the unloader brace and am trying that for now until I can have the surgery in the spring.  Going to give up the hockey for now with the thought that maybe I can play with the replacement knee?  Well... always hopeful at least. 

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »
Hi Daisy888,

Sorry you've had to give up on the hockey, I really hope you can get back to it one day, but it might be best to think you might not and then if you can it'll be a nice surprise! I understand how hard it is, I have had to give up playing tennis which I loved, played in the teams and was heavily involved with, so it was a major disaster. But you do come to terms with it, you just have to find something else to replace it with - something you enjoy, but that doesn't hurt your knees (or doesn't hurt them to the same degree!). I've found it tough as I am very competitive, but if you can't do it, you can't do it. I mourned its loss for a while and there's part of me that will always miss it and hate that I can't do it, but you can't let it drag you down forever.

Right now stuck on the sofa with my knee iced and painful, I'd give a lot just to be able to whip the Hoover round! I haven't found it's replacement yet, but after my post-op time and leg-strengthening I'll know more about what I can do long-term, and I'll find something - even if it's competitive painting or crochet! (can't do either...!)

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on with your unloader brace - which make is it?

;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)