Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chronic knee injury  (Read 3341 times)

Offline rambo1029

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chronic knee injury
« on: August 24, 2011, 05:25:21 PM »
Right knee has gotten worse in the last 6yrs. Constant pain and sliding out of joint a couple of times a month (identical results as when doing a Positive Pivot Shift Test).  Last 10 months has been locking up. Have to slowly move knee around til  it releases and can straighten knee out. Assessment as OA and instability of right knee. Clinical finding for last 2yrs are: Degenerative MMT AND LMT; Chronic ACL tear; Antalgic Gait; Grade I Anterior Drawer Test; Positive Pivot Shift Test; Poor VMO  tone. Have received 4 injections, every 6 months for last 2 years. 1 and 2 were corticosteroid and 3 and 4 were SynvisONE. XRAY REPORTS - Degenerative changes knee joint, unfused apophysis of Tibial Tuberosity. Bone-on-bone medial joint space with marked arthrosis, articular surface sclerosis and osteophytosis. Mild degenerative changes in Patellofemoral Joint Compartment. 5/18/2011 MRI REPORT: BONES/JOINTS - Tricompartment degenerative Osteophytosis. Medial Tibial Plateau Demonstrates subchondral cystic changes. Joint effusion present. Diffused full-thickness cartilage loss along medial Femorotibial Compartment.
Grade II and III Chondromalacia affecting Lateral Femorotibial and Patellofemoral Compartments.
Grade IV Chondromalacia of the Medial Femorotibial Compartment and along the Trochlea with subchondral cystic changes. LIGAMENTS/TENDONS - Inferior Patellar Tendon appears thickened consistent with degeneration. Posterior Cruciate Ligament thickened consistent with remote tear. Anterior Cruciate ligament is not visualized compatible with remote full-thickness rupture. MEDIAL MENISCUS - Meniscus body and Posterior Horn appear diminutive and macerated consistent with a complex tear that extends into the Posterior Root Insertion. LATERAL MENISCUS - There is a complex tear of the Meniscus body. SOFT TISSUES - A subcentimeter Bakers cyst is indentified.

Currently using cane and medial unloader brace to get around. Told I have slight instability and OA. I'm confused! 2 of the 4 ligaments that hold the knee together are torn. both the lateral and medial meniscus are torn and they say it's slightly unstable. On top of it all they also mentioned a total knee replacement. It's mind boggling!!!  Anyone  have any idea what or how unstable my knee is based on the info furnished above and is it severely unstable to warrant a total knee replacement. thanx in advance.....

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: Chronic knee injury
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 05:26:39 PM »
I have no knowledge of this stuff, being a newbie, but have huge sympathy for your knee problem and our old friend pain.  Hang on in there, someone with the right knowledge will be able to comment more helpfully soon.

Good luck.   ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline rambo1029

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:41:43 AM »
Have to take it one day at a time..Thanks for the words of encouragement and concern... :(

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 05:29:09 AM »
Have the doctors mentioned anything about repairing the torn ligaments? Or do they want to jump to a knee replacement?
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline rambo1029

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 07:53:31 PM »
The way I understand it, repairing only the ligaments would not be an option, since the rest of the knee is in bad shape (OA, no minisci) everything would have to be done while doing the total knee replacement.....